Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Plates Rules

Options
  • 07-01-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am in the process of buying a Japanese imported Toyota Prius, the car I want to buy has a registration plates of 141, but when I checked the date of manufacturing it was November 2013. Now I am confused why the car is registered as 141 and not 132. Something doesn't feel right here, does anybody know if this is normal? or is there something fishy here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yakoub wrote: »
    I am in the process of buying a Japanese imported Toyota Prius, the car I want to buy has a registration plates of 141, but when I checked the date of manufacturing it was November 2013. Now I am confused why the car is registered as 141 and not 132. Something doesn't feel right here, does anybody know if this is normal? or is there something fishy here?

Well it had to sit on a lot to be sold first, probably delivered to dealership in november and picked up in january, nothing fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yakoub

But what is the rules here? I thought the number reflects the date of manufacturing. if so, then it should be 132, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

You could buy a 2020 car that was built years before assuming the model hasn't changed.
    Cars aren't registered upon manufacture they're registered when they are being sold.
    Simple was built in 2013, bought and first registered in 2014. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The car would have been manufactured in 2013 and first registered in 2014.
    All the new 2020 cars you see for the last week were manufactured in 2019.

But what is the rules here? I thought the number reflects the date of manufacturing. if so, then it should be 132, correct?

Incorrect absolutely nothing to do with date of manufacture, called a registration for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Its a registration plate not a manufacturer date so it'll be dated from the first registration

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yakoub

Okay, I understand now. So basically this date is for when the car was first sold to be used and not when it was manufactured. In my case, the car was manufactured in the factory in 11/2013 and then was first sold and used in 2014.

Thanks a lot guys for your prompt response, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

Mjolnir wrote: »
    You could buy a 2020 car that was built years before assuming the model hasn't changed.

In theory you could, but in practice it's days to weeks between manufacturer and sale date.

Noone want to be holding inventory any longer than necessary.

On the manufacturing side, it's often hours and rarely more than a couple of days between a part being manufactured and it being assembled into a subassembly or final vehicle assembly.

God be with the cardboard "for reg" signs tied on with string.
    People would buy in August and not register until January.

In theory you could, but in practice it's days to weeks between manufacturer and sale date.

Noone want to be holding inventory any longer than necessary.

On the manufacturing side, it's often hours and rarely more than a couple of days between a part being manufactured and it being assembled into a subassembly or final vehicle assembly.

Plenty of BMW's with that pesky old n47 were 2010 reg when the issue was said to be "resolved" but in reality were manufactured in 2008/2009.
    Many reasons for this, especially with cars where we're talking about the sum of the parts not an individual part . Not all parts in a 2020 vehicle were manufactured in 2020 or late 2019 .
    Also strictly speaking a part can sit on a shelf without being used for any period. Simply look at the amount of threads here about 5+ year old tires. (Pardon the pun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re not familiar with ‘just in time’ production, I can assure you that parts going into new cars aren’t sitting around for years, so lean is the supply chain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Incorrect. The plate reflects date of first registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Reg number shows first registration date.
    There's also a field in logbook showing manufacture year, but I've never seen a logbook with that field showing different year than one used as first registration so I believe that field is useless.

I.e. I had Mondeo registstered 2nd January 2002 (so surely it couldn't have been manufactured in 2002) but logbook indicated manufacture year as 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its called a REGISTRATION Plate and shows the date of registration not manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elperello wrote: »
    God be with the cardboard "for reg" signs tied on with string.
    People would buy in August and not register until January.

I know of a vehicle that was about 10 years on the road before it was registered, drove on a trade plate all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Its called a REGISTRATION Plate and shows the date of registration not manufacture.

Overreaction or what? We get it, the op wasn't sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I once was given a company car that was a five year old model before being registered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I regularly do some electrical / modification work on my own motorbikes. Taking off the body work and looking at the stamps from the manufacturing you can see parts that were made 2 years before the other parts and even 3 years before the registration date. Depending on your vehicle or manufacturer you can have parts on it that are several years old before they hit the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Worth noting though, that many countries use "vehicle manufacutre year" as main indicator of vehicle age, instead of first registration year like in Ireland.

In there car manufactured in 2010 will be seen as 2010 car, no matter if it was first registered in 2011 or 2012. On second hand market it will be priced accordingly like other 2010 cars.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you’re not familiar with ‘just in time’ production, I can assure you that parts going into new cars aren’t sitting around for years, so lean is the supply chain.

You're wrong there, an awful lot of motor parts be they car, bike, whatever are manufactured by third parties such as Bosch for injectors. These parts aren't necessarily changed with every iteration and are produced in mass quantities. Very possible for parts to sit on a shelf for years before being used in a finished product for many reasons. Same with you buying a product.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    I regularly do some electrical / modification work on my own motorbikes. Taking off the body work and looking at the stamps from the manufacturing you can see parts that were made 2 years before the other parts and even 3 years before the registration date. Depending on your vehicle or manufacturer you can have parts on it that are several years old before they hit the road.

Exactly what I was eluding to

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I once was given a company car that was a five year old model before being registered

I could probably find the post I made here at the time to make this sound less confused; but I once passed either a Xsara or Xantia that was registered 5 years after production ended. Checked the reg and it was real.

Wonder if the warranty would have been provided at all when purchasing something that old as "new".

L1011 wrote: »
    I could probably find the post I made here at the time to make this sound less confused; but I once passed either a Xsara or Xantia that was registered 5 years after production ended. Checked the reg and it was real.

Wonder if the warranty would have been provided at all when purchasing something that old as "new".

There was a 2003 regged Honda cbr 600 for sale last year that at youngest could have been a 1998 f3 model. Just wasn't sold and registered until 2003. Happens more often than people think.

That would fall down to the manufacturer, but ultimately doubtful as they'd most likely go by date of manufacture to get out of having to warranty it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I know of a vehicle that was about 10 years on the road before it was registered, drove on a trade plate all the time.

That was really taking advantage of a loophole.

Just occurred to me that there are always vans and cars around the airports with no plate.
    Does anyone know are they just scrapped when replaced or are they registered and sold on?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

L1011 wrote: »

Warranty is always based on registration date and not build date.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Warranty is always based on registration date and not build date.

Strictly true as usually termed "in service date" - date dealers register it to demo or its sold.
    However if it had been sitting 10 years say, I'd strongly doubt that they'd stand over any part that would deteriorate with time, as it wouldn't be considered fair or reasonable for them to have to. Be interesting to see a case develop and set a standard.

Advertisement