Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance age 23

• 07-01-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi I’m just wondering about stopping paying maintenance when you’re child turns 23 ,I’m currently paying 100 euro per week and in March my daughter turns 23 ,the money gets taken from my wages every week so my question is do I just stop paying when she’s 23 or do I need to get it stopped in the courts
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Apply for a variation of mainteance order ,,, varied to 0 ,job done

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

Hi there, maybe someone might have some advice here. My son is renting a room in the city while pursuing work, his initial plan was to do a Barbour course but it wasn’t for him, he plans on moving back in with his mother and plans on renting his old bedroom room off her while he gets paid by his mum for looking after his younger half brothers . Am I obliged to still pay maintenance or is it also a case of waiting until he is 23 no matter the situation. Of course if he chooses 3rd level education I would be glad to pay for however long, not sure what’s fair here, I can’t seem to find much information on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You don't say what age he is so depending on that your time of supporting him may well be done. Indeed, his mother's may also be done. If he's working, he should pay his way. If he's not working, he should be receiving social welfare (though it's not much for younger adults).

• If he's going back to college as a regular applicant, you might have to work something out.
    • If he goes as a mature student, he should be assessed for income as an independent adult.
    • If he's living with his mother, but paying rent officially (as in she declares it as income), then I'm not sure how 3rd level grants work.
    • If he's dependent on her and her income isn't great, he may get a full grant.
    • If he's not eligibile that way, then he might want to be assessed as an independent adult.

I reckon a conversation with Citizens information would be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

You stop at 18 unless they continue on in full time education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I dont think a person can avail of rent a room allowance from an immediate family member, so imo they would have to declare it.

18 is the age for maintenance support, unless your child is going to fulltime education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Advertisement