Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grrrrrrrr

Options
  • 07-01-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

My sweet Jesus but that Niall boylan is some f@#king troll
    Listening now and want to f@#k the radio out the window,oh and the luddite I work with is sitting next to me lapping it all up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

LOL I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm guessing he is some sort of retard on the radio claiming that EVs can only go 20km and that the battery has to be replaced every 2 years and that they depreciate faster than diesels? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What’s a radio? :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What’s a radio? :pac:

It's a magic box that streams podcasts without needing an internet connection :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I heard it. I know nothing about EVs and that show would put me right off buying one. So whats the other side? It doesn't seem like the easiest way to get around. Stopping and waiting to access a chargepoint. Waiting around to get a charge. Fearing putting the heat or wipers on as they waste the battery? Are these stories not true?

It was a very onesided how alright. I was hoping for more of the other side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Abba987 wrote: »
    I heard it. I know nothing about EVs and that show would put me right off buying one. So whats the other side? It doesn't seem like the easiest way to get around. Stopping and waiting to access a chargepoint. Waiting around to get a charge. Fearing putting the heat or wipers on as they waste the battery? Are these stories not true?

It was a very onesided how alright. I was hoping for more of the other side of the argument.

There’s no waiting at the chargepoint at your house. On longer journeys(say Dublin to Donegal/cork or vice versa) you plan your lunch stop more near a charger than you would normally. That’s about it. Whilst EV driving doesn’t suit everyone (shared accommodation or parking spaces across a footpath etc) it suits probably 95% of Irish driving imo and I don’t own an EV yet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Abba987 wrote: »

It would be disingenuous of me to say it's flat out not true as those things can happen when it comes to public charging. So I would call it misinformation rather than flat out lies.

The real truth is if you buy the right car for your needs then that stuff will almost never enter the equation.

I will say worrying about the wipers is complete bull**** though. Heating, yeah you might knock it off if you need a few extra km but it's not really something you would think about 99.9999999999999% of the time unless you messed up badly somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The show sounds like complete rubbish, like most media pieces on EVs, however, on the Gen 1.5 leafs, putting the wipers on uses a relatively large amount of electricity, they are ~ 0.4 kWh, considering 80km could use 16kWh, it's a surprisingly large %age (2.5%)

I thought that Clown was on at night time ?

The first time I heard that show I was coming back from Germany and I called into the spar at T1 and they had Niall Boylan blaring and the language was deplorable and the People in the Spar a lot of them most likely non nationals were not impressed and I certainly wasn't , People come into the country and this is what they hear ?

I've hear bits and peaces of that show now and again when I am in Dublin and the People who call into the show are just as bad.

Niall Boylan doesn't impress me either !

I can't believe this show is allowed on air but ti's disturbing to think they have an audience for this kind of Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

adunis wrote: »
    My sweet Jesus but that Niall boylan is some f@#king troll
    Listening now and want to f@#k the radio out the window,oh and the luddite I work with is sitting next to me lapping it all up.

Wow, that was a complete hatchet job. For a start entirely one sided, didnt balance the callers at all.

Some clangers he gave out...
    Battery has memory effect
    Battery falls apart
    Battery lasts 10 years
    One caller said that after 2yrs the Tesla batteries are literally no good!

The whole "electricity comes from fossil fuels" argument.

Its better to have really good hybrid cars that produce their own electricity and gets 130 to the gallon!

130k miles required to break even on the emissions for battery production.

Hydrogen is the future.... You'll basically fill your car up with water!! :D
    Hydrogen is the way to go.... it uses water to produce hydrogen!

Tesla dont envisage being able to do anything more than 400km's on a charge even in 10 years time

It was just wall to wall nonsense.

One thing I'll agree on with most of them is that the 2030 ban isnt realistic but not for the reasons they've put forward!

Niall Boylan show appeals to a certain type of Audience......... probably with a lower than average I.Q.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.classichits.ie/podcasts/niall-boylan/episode/do-you-agree-with-banning-the-sale-of-petrol-and-diesel-cars/?autoplay=1

I'm sorry for your ears. I'm gonna run out of rolleyes emojis

- "Tis grand if you believe carbon emissions affect the environment, it's grand if you don't believe it. "
    - "Government has no plans on how to support low income families who can't afford electric cars.".... Because low income families are all about new cars, yeah?
    - "Not decent looking cars"
    - "Charging takes 30 minutes. Maybe down to 10 minutes in 10 years time. How is that going to work?" Then immediately mentions that everyone will have home chargers.
    - Symphatising with petrol stations that will close down.... later doesn't give a toss that mechanics will be replaced because jobs move with technology.
    - Can't generate the required electricity :rolleyes:
    - Paints all electrics will the image of a 5 year old leaf which the owner mentioned turning off the heat etc.

Gave up listening once the first caller joined in and talked about Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

Had this nonsense from a taxi driver recently.
    "Did you know the Nissan Leaf has only one pedal? No brake pedal at all. Battery dead after two years. Fire brigade has to have special training in case they electrocute themselves on the battery. Deadly dangerous. You don't want to be in a crash in one. You'll be electrocuted too (presumably along with the firemen)."
    If I didn't know better, I'd be terrified and immediately switch up to an environmentally-friendly belching diesel.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Niall Boylan show appeals to a certain type of Audience......... probably with a lower than average I.Q.

Having skipped through the recording there, i'd say a few of them can't spell I.Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ohhh this guy has his opinions and he is pushing it into peoples ear holes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

A lot of people believe the bull$hite these guys come out with, a few minutes ago when i was plugging in the Zoe to charge it I was asked is it a big job to replace the batteries. I said I'm not sure but its something we won't need to worry about for a long time - i was asked do they not need to be replaced every 2 years??

Who keeps spouting this crap??

People are all too happy to believe the negatives without researching the facts and the Niall Boylan show is utter crap and the People who listen to it are most likely not interested in facts.

It's sad to know a show like that is on Irish Radio and it's even worse knowing probably a lot of People listen to it.

Can't say I've ever heard of that station or him before this thread tbh. Is it a local station for local people?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever heard of that station or him before this thread tbh. Is it a local station for local people?

It's on 4Fm/classic hits ( classic hits me backside ) and has substantial coverage not only in Dublin. Sadly this crap has a very large audience.

I've heard it a couple of times on night shift in the car but couldn't bear more than a few mins. Terrible.

Worst of all it's on twice a day afternoon and night , I gust googled it lol. So it would have to have a substantial audience for that.

I've moaned about the Joe Duffy Show a lot but at least that highlights real issues and problems even if it is a real moan show, thankfully it still has the majority of radio listeners but to think so many must listen to Niall Boylan ?

He's got almost 40K followers on twitter lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has anyone complained to the station? If (as expected) no joy from them then go to the BAI.

https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You got to be joking. Read this, from 2017.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/the-niall-boylan-show-wins-best-scheduled-talk-show-in-the-world-at-new-york-radio-awards-794312.html

The Niall Boylan Show has scooped the Best Scheduled Talk Show in the world at an awards ceremony in New York, writes Claire Anderson.

Niall and Helena went to the Big Apple to accept the prize from the New York Festivals International Radio Program Awards.

They have been documenting their travels on their Facebook page if you dare to keep up.

The Classic Hits 4FM talk show wasn't the only Irish winner in the competition, RTÉ also scooped several awards such as Best Drama Special and Best Writing.

The New York Festivals International Radio Program Awards honors radio programming and promotions in all lengths and formats from radio stations, networks and independent producers around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it's in town.

It drives me nuts that some people believe the tripe these mis-informed goons spout out on the airways but yet when you tell somone the facts (that you know as you are an owner and driver of an EV) they take it with a pinch of salt.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    It drives me nuts that some people believe the tripe these mis-informed goons spout out on the airways but yet when you tell somone the facts (that you know as you are an owner and driver of an EV) they take it with a pinch of salt. People are ignorant.

Summarised your post for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

charlieIRL wrote: »
    It drives me nuts that some people believe the tripe these mis-informed goons spout out on the airways but yet when you tell somone the facts (that you know as you are an owner and driver of an EV) they take it with a pinch of salt.

Fake News = Facts that you don't like.
    This is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Boylan is very poor.

However even excellent presenters really struggle when the topic is EVs.

We all thought Miriam on Prime time was poor - but the fact Miriam actually tried the EV and got to Kerry in it was less crap then most coverage.

What grinds my gears is when the "EV knowledge" or commentary comes from dealers/trade people who are not expert on EVs themselves and want to sell diesels/hybrids.

EVs aren't perfect but if you are a serious presenter/media outlet then EVs are good enough to deserve better then the coverage (in quality terms) as a topic they get.

The only GOOD EV coverage ive seen on Irish radio was Eimear on whatever the local radio station in Carlow is - KCLR I think.

She borrowed an eGolf for the weekend - had 3 EV drivers in for her discussion on EVs on the Monday.

Recorded impressions of the eGolf while she was using it - figured her way around using an ESB fast charger.

I get that presenters may not love EVs - but I'm not asking them to love them - just do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He clearly has a bias which is very anti-EV based and drove the interview entirely in that direction and only allowing people on who confirmed his bias.

He also has no grasp of his brief. I could only laugh when I heard him saying that hydrogen was the future and that all we'd need to do was fill the car up with water to create hydrogen! :pac:

Its obvious he has no knowledge whatsoever of what he is talking about and just playing to the gallery.

His profile is mainly accurate though (except for insightful)!...
    "Niall can be described as fearless, controversial, insightful, compassionate and even funny! But be warned, he may cause your blood to boil. "

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Let's face it, the adoption of ev's will tick up over time as people have direct experience of them by either travelling in them (as passengers) and/or by speaking with owners.
    And with the help of stick and carrot incentives by government.
    There will always be a certain "basket of deplorables" around, no matter what the issue is.

Thanks KCross, because of your summary I don't have to listen to that anymore. I could do with a bit less of my blood boiling :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KCross wrote: »
    He clearly has a bias which is very anti-EV based and drove the interview entirely in that direction and only allowing people on who confirmed his bias.

Which is against the broadcasting rules, so complain.

A presenter can't spout any bull they like, this isn't the US. Not surprised he got some bulls**t award over there, doesn't mean anything.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

jusmeig wrote: »
    Fake News = Facts that you don't like.
    This is to blame.

It’s not “facts that you don’t like” it’s incorrect statements that’s the problem.

Advertisement