Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reapplying to the CAO

Options
  • 06-01-2020 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello!

So I did three years of a course and dropped out for various reasons. I got 595 points which I think means I got 588 points under the new system.

I want to do Economics and Finance in UCD, which I would have gotten in my year (2015) but last year it skyrocketed to 601, so I very much have to compete again.

My question is would me having gotten enough points for the course as it stood in my leaving cert year have any relevance to me applying for it this year? Or do i just have to hope it drops a couple points this year and apply to the CAO as normal?

I am too young to be a mature student by one day.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My question is would me having gotten enough points for the course as it stood in my leaving cert year have any relevance to me applying for it this year?
    No, I'm afraid not.
    Or do i just have to hope it drops a couple points this year and apply to the CAO as normal?
    Yep. I'm not familiar with the course, but if, as you say, it skyrocketed last year, perhaps that was an aberration and it will slip down a bit this year.

Something like Econ and Finance will always hit pretty high points, esp as it probably takes relatively low numbers, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything in the current climate especially different from the previous few years, or which should be forcing the points consistently up, so maybe if it shot up last year it was just a once-off due to unusual demand, and it will slip back a bit more towards the average this year.

All you can do really is cross your fingers, toes and anything else you can cross and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hello!

I got 595 points which I think means I got 588 points under the new system.

It's my understanding that the points you got in your leaving cert (595) are used. i.e the CAO won't change your points to fit the new system, as the percentage brackets are different etc.

So apply again and hope that they drop down a few points to 595 or less !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Unfortunately not, Kan.
    wrote:
    A pre-2017 applicant's points will change when calculated using the New Common Points Scale. The old points will no longer apply, and a new points score will be calculated by using the new scale.

In many instances an applicant's points will actually go down when compared with a pre-2017 points score; this should not cause alarm, as such applicants will be competing with current year applicants using the same Common Points Scale. The points available under the new scale cannot be compared with the points awarded up to 2016.

https://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=newcps

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Apologies. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ima_mokster

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Apply again anyway for this year and if not apply again next year as the mature student. Are you certain you want to do that course in that exact Uni? There may be less demand in other places.

Advertisement