Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAVE ENERGY: Electricity savings during night time

Options
  • 05-01-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

Do you know if the fact of turning on the washing machine at night actually makes a different in the bill?

I've some friends who actually schedule their washing machine programme from 11:30pm to 7am.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Night rate electricity is about half the day rate, you need a day/night meter and the standing charge is more expensive but if you can use 25%+ of your electricity at night you’ll make a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

Night rate electricity is about half the day rate, you need a day/night meter and the standing charge is more expensive but if you can use 25%+ of your electricity at night you’ll make a saving.

Thanks.

Apart of the washing machine, what other ideas do you have to turn at night on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

When I lived in an apartment with storage heaters(yuk) I was on the night rate and did all washing at night. It did make a noticeable difference to the bill, I can't remember how much but it was enough for me to always wait for night time to do it.
    That said I think the advice is not to do leave the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher on while asleep as it's a fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Kaldo wrote: »
    Thanks.

Without having night-rate meter or a smart meter with a night time tariff, there aren't any savings to be had.

Running a washing machine at night would be likely in breach of noise control laws and rules if one lives in an apartment, and even in a semi-D it could easily break the law if not we'll balanced and reasonably quiet.

If one has a night saver meter.
    Tumble dryer, charging an electric car, even charging something like a power wall and running your "daily" needs via that could all deliver a unit cost saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Thanks.

Washer/dryer and I’ve an electric car so makes sense for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Dishwasher, immersion element and if you have an electric oven you could bake, cook etc.
    The big users of electricity in the home are those that heat.
    If you plan of getting an electric car then you will probably charge at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

dishwasher, washing machine and some times the dryer if I wake up earlY!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

banie01 wrote: »
    Without having night-rate meter or a smart meter with a night time tariff, there aren't any savings to be had.

Running a washing machine at night would be likely in breach of noise control laws and rules if one lives in an apartment, and even in a semi-D it could easily break the law if not we'll balanced and reasonably quiet.

If one has a night saver meter.
    Tumble dryer, charging an electric car, even charging something like a power wall and running your "daily" needs via that could all deliver a unit cost saving.

Where can I get a night saver meter? Can I install it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

Do you know if the fact of turning on the washing machine at night actually makes a different in the bill?

I've some friends who actually schedule their washing machine programme from 11:30pm to 7am.

Thanks
    If you have a night Meter , then it may. There’s a reduced rate but increased standing charge. So you have to use more than about 1/3 of your electricity at night to make savings.

If you want to reduce your bill, look at replacing all lighting with LEDs and replacing older appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Type that verbatim into google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kaldo wrote:

Just a word of caution. The fire officer recommends never running the washing machine or dishwasher when you are in bed.

Night rate or rather having a night meter will usually work out more expensive than regular meters unless you consume a lot of electricity at night. In most cases if you don't have electric storage heaters or charge an electric vehicle at night then the night meter will be more expensive. Even going against the fire officer advise & running dishwasher, washing machine and immersion while in bed it's still not enough for the average house to warrant a night meter.

I suggest contacting your energy supplier. They can advise you if night rate is suitable for you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kaldo wrote:

ESB networks has to install it. It has nothing to do with the energy provider. I think there is an installation fee but we have a nationwide rollout of smart meters at the moment. These will be installed free of charge. Most likely you will be better waiting for the free smart meter installation to hit your area

Advertisement