Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carribean Honeymoon

Options
  • 04-01-2020 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking at honeymoom at the minute. Getting married on 19th June (Friday). Want to go on honeymoon straight away after rather than doing a mini moon in Ireland as my GF has limited time off work. In total we would probly want to be away for around 2 weeks or just over and our budget would be 6-7 k

We like the idea of a Caribbean cruise and have been on to a couple of agents and Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas seems to the recommended option. That leaves on the Sunday. I also like the idea of a 5* luxury resort so Cancun has been Suggested for a few nights and it has good reports on here. But we don't want all lying about and want to do some fun activities. (for example we are considering universal studios in Orlando).

At the min, our rough plan would be

-3 nights in Orlando
    -7 night cruise
    -4 night cancun

I wonder if it would be more cost effective to just leave on the Monday after the Friday wedding, do 5 nights somewhere and then do the cruise.

Does anyone have any thoughts suggestions on any of the above or on alternative destinations where we could relax, get some sun but not be lying around all day everyday.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

GF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

GF?

And he’s not even married and hes gone off with the gf

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Going on 5th of June for 7 nights cancun, 3 orlando and 4 miami. Loads to see and do in orlando and miami. Also cancun has good lot of good day trips but will be mostly relaxing there( drinkin, eating, entertainment) going cancun first.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭paulisagayboy

GF?

Well what is she then? We aren't married yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fiance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

We've done two Carribean cruises, both with Norwegian CL.

First one was a 9 day out of New York and second was 7 days out of New Orleans. The first one was part of a 25th Anniversary 'Grand Trip' taking in Toronto, Vegas, NY and finishing with the cruise then back home through NY. Turned into a 14 day cruise though as we got caught up in Hurricane Sandy !! Second was a few nights in New Orleans and a week long cruise then home.

If I was going again tomorrow I'd take the NY one. I just found it better. Had a day or two finding our bearings on the ship before hitting the Caribbean. Island hopping then for about 6 days which covered all the sun, beach, shopping and touristy things we wanted to do. Great holiday.

I could take or leave Cancun as IMO that's just another sun holiday, albeit in a nice place. If you're under time pressure I'd scrap that part and take a week in Spain / Canaries / Portugal later in the year. Plenty of sun and beaches to be had whilst on the cruise IMO.

There's plenty of tips and advice regarding cruises online but m own tips would be DON'T buy a drinks package, DON'T book the tours on the ship and DO plenty of research on the islands that you'll be visiting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

godtabh wrote: »
    fiance

fiancee, she's female

since my keyboard is cutting out the accent on the e

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Blub123

Got engaged and honeymoon in the carib. Also been a few times on hols.
    Went via New York and Chicago via Jet Blue.
    Personally didn't like the kooks of the cruises as would often see them docking and the disembarking passengers were often old, obese and had the little electric scooters waiting for then on Dock so they could "see" the island.
    Just not for us but each to their own.
    I'd recommend picking 2 or 3 islands and doing them properly and flying between each.... E. G St. Marten (French side) followed by Nevis. Also hire a car to do the diffent beaches, snorkeling etc
    Also hotels a rip off and you don't want to be stuck in a resort unless on a place like Jamaica or Antigua , vrbo it and hire a cottage or such just off the beach.
    Went to andDidn't like that part of Mexico, there are far nicer spots further south along the coast
    That's my 2 cents.
    Hit me up if you want anything specific.
    Carribean is def great tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

godtabh wrote: »
    fiance

Fiancée. Fiancé is the male engaged party. Fiancée, the female.

OP - if you decide to hit Barbados, give me a shout. I'm a Bajan Brit who can help with places to stay, sights and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It wasn’t for our honeymoon but a couple of years ago we did 2 nights in Miami, 4 night bahamas cruise, another night in Miami to relax and then 5 nights in Orlando in the cabana bay resort with 3 day trips to Universal. It was a good mix of chill out days and active days. Still probably my favourite holiday! We both loved the cruise but felt 4 nights was enough. Went with carnival cruises which are not as fancy as Royal Caribbean (although still impressive!) but sure neither of us had ever cruised before so we didn’t know any different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Am I Being Unreasonable to suggest that the meaning may more have been what does 'GF' mean :confused::pac:

Advertisement