Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving underfloor pipes

Options
  • 04-01-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi folks. I’ve got a kitchen island unit I would like moved by about 8 inches. This would involve moving a hot and cold water supply, and a waste pipe by about the same amount.

Who should I contact for this? A builder or plumber? I can’t imagine a plumber digging up screed and concrete.

How deep are the pipes likely to be? Would they sit below the screed buried in to the concrete slab? If I thought it was doable I would be tempted to have a go myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Bump . . . ahem .

OK so I'm thinking of starting this job soon, see above. I think the services to the island (hot and cold water supply, and waste pipe), would sit in the underfloor insulation just below the screed, but above any membrane. Therefore I could dig out a channel of screed/ insulation to reveal the pipes and then get a plumber to finish off maybe?

I am open to any corrections or advice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

For just 8 inches ?

Are you sure you cant do it above ground... Almost all kitchen installs will give you enough room underneath the cabinets to redirect.

You could try chip out some concrete close to the pipes to get an idea how deep they run. If theres enough insulation around, it should be easy enough. If no insulation then forget the whole idea.

Was the pipework a retrofit into an existing floor, or built new like this. A retrofit will probably be only an inch down.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

whizbang wrote: »
    For just 8 inches ?

Yes. As part of a bigger move to put in a partition wall, the island is in the way.
    Are you sure you cant do it above ground... Almost all kitchen installs will give you enough room underneath the cabinets to redirect.

Unfortunately the pipes come up just inside the perimeter of the island, and not on the right edge for wriggle room.
    If no insulation then forget the whole idea.

Is that a thing? not having insulation? It's a 12 year old house.
    Was the pipework a retrofit into an existing floor, or built new like this. A retrofit will probably be only an inch down.

I'm not certain but i think I would have requested these services for the island prior to the builders laying the floor. But i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sorry I should have said, I have dug up underfloor piping before, and it all depends on the insulation.

It acts as a cushion for protecting the pipes, but mainly it allows a bit of give in the concrete above it, so it breaks up much easier.
    If theres no insulation; even if theres just a milimeter of concrete over the pipe, you cant detect it, and any attempt on the concrete will go straight through the pipes.
    Your only option in this case, is to go back to the source with a complete new channel installed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you will damage pipe when you dig it up

cut out chase and run new pipes back to wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement