Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Parkrun course (Ireland)

• 04-01-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Looking for opinions on the best parkrun course in the country. I mostly do Lough Key, which for anyone yet to sample its delights, is one of the few single loop forested runs (not out and back) that I know of.
    It gets messy after heavy rain and the start gets quite congested due to the narrow pathways but it's about the best course I've done (but haven't done many in fairness)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Mullingar Parkrun is my local one and it is an excellent route, 2.6km along the Royal canal and then turn onto the greenway(old railway line) for 2.4km to the finish.
    It is probably the flattest parkrun in the country and we get a lot of visitors hoping for new PB's. The route out along the winding canal is as scenic as canals can be, and the sheltered, tarmaced greenway is mostly canopied with big trees on either side.
    Come and join us for a run some morning, we have a great volunteer crew and are mostly friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

ShaunC wrote: »
    Mullingar Parkrun is my local one and it is an excellent route, 2.6km along the Royal canal and then turn onto the greenway(old railway line) for 2.4km to the finish.
    It is probably the flattest parkrun in the country and we get a lot of visitors hoping for new PB's. The route out along the winding canal is as scenic as canals can be, and the sheltered, tarmaced greenway is mostly canopied with big trees on either side.
    Come and join us for a run some morning, we have a great volunteer crew and are mostly friendly.
    L.K. had lots of undulations, no chance of a PB there, but, you can crawl into the cafe right beside the finish for coffee and cake afterwards (I should be on commission)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Erris is quite special. It's the most Westerly in Europe and about as far away from the nearest city as you can get. It's a single (almost flat) loop of a lake, with the finish (and free drinks) amongst some sand dunes. It's quite intimate and you'll be made very welcome as a visitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

ShaunC wrote: »
    Mullingar Parkrun is my local one
    It is probably the flattest parkrun in the country .

Ballincollig in Cork might have something to say about that!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

eliwallach wrote: »
    Ballincollig in Cork might have something to say about that!

;)

Not a hope. It's way down the list. Mullingar is the flattest in Ireland.
    https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun-ireland/

On topic I haven't done a huge number but Erris would be up with what I know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Dudda wrote: »

On topic I haven't done a huge number but Erris would be up with what I know of.

I can't argue with statistics. :)
    But I have only sampled 3, with Ballincollig being like a billiards table towards Castle Demense (No. 63 on list) and Glen River Park (which doesn't make the list but includes a monster hill - that must be negotiated twice).
    PS - Ardgillan - ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

eliwallach wrote: »
    PS - Ardgillan - ouch!
    That hill up to the finish just drains the legs... but I still go back for more :-)

Did Mountlucas (near Tullamore) which is like running on a different planet. Really flat but very exposed and boy, when that wind blows in your face God help you. On the plus side, you couldn't find a nicer bunch of people to give up their Saturday morning and get you around safely. Really enjoyable run....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Have to mention the success story of Glengarriff parkrun on here.

If you don’t know Glengarriff, it’s a rural village in West Cork with about 800 population and would be tourist friendly in the summer being on the WA way. The closest town would be Bantry about 20 mins away or Kenmare about 40 min away, not a location you’d suggest as a running hub!

In 2018, average numbers were often in the 30s and enthusiasm amongst the volunteers was poor, a lot of the same faces keeping the show on the road. Not many new runners were sticking with it, possibly discouraged by the vibes and the gigantic hill at 4K that most people used to walk.

More effort went into it last year and for whatever reason, the core team picked up and new runners seemed to stick around longer. Later in 2019, a new course layout was unveiled which is now a full one lapper and takes the runners off the road a bit more. Most importantly perhaps, the gut buster hill has been avoided which overall is for the best and takes visitors through the Big Meadow walk section of the reserve.

Average numbers are far higher now and numbers have got close to or surpassed 100 regularly since the course change. 144 came to Glengarriff last Saturday which is fantastic considering the location. The roster is also backed up full weeks in advance!

The course was great before but even better now. Is it the best in Ireland? It’s up there honestly and if you are ever down that direction, it’s well worth a visit.

A more boring answer: Marlay Park.

It’s a one lapper also, great park, great volunteers and has the biggest attendance in Ireland most weeks.

• Advertisement

Ran Strokestown yesterday, there's something about a 3 lap course that makes it seem shorter than a larger single lap. A nice course on the grounds of Strokestown house, the one thing I don't like about it is that you have to double back around cones on 6 occasions. Now I'm a big lad so when I come to a virtual stop manoeuvring around cones it takes me a while to get going again.
    Really nice place to go for a run though and as always with Parkrun the volunteers are Tops especially on a freezing morning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not a hope that is correct. Shanganagh park is almost completely flat and the real elevation profile does not look anything like that squiggly line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Nice to see my local one, Cabinteely, is only the third worst for hills 🥵

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

My local Royal Canal parkrun is not listed here - only 11m elevation gain (according to my Garmin) puts it equal with Mullingar, only problem is wind can be a b!£ch! Out and back along the canal, can be a PB route if the weather gods are in a good mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Think this question has been answered many times in the parkrun thread.

What makes a good course? Most people seem to plump for fast and flat. Malahide, St. Annes, Corkagh would be my top three (but not in that order). ;)

It’s always a personal decision. Flat is not always fast, of course (e.g. Narin Portnoo). Sligo is not flat but looms large in my experience because I somehow construed a first finisher.

How long is a string? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Merlin44

The best course is the one inside mountjoy prison boundry wall 6.5 laps.for inmates and invited running groups ect ... 2 year waiting list to get in if you not getting locked up that is . Won.awards this year. PROGRESSION UNIT Mountjoy Prison Park run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Merlin44 wrote: »
    The best course is the one inside mountjoy prison boundry wall 6.5 laps.for inmates and invited running groups ect ... 2 year waiting list to get in if you not getting locked up that is . Won.awards this year. PROGRESSION UNIT Mountjoy Prison Park run.

progression offers something that most parkruns cant not.

A 6.5 lap course where you can be chased by someone serving life for murder or armed robbery.

Is it really 2.5 year waiting list to get in now think it was 2 months when i went.

scheister wrote: »
    progression offers something that most parkruns cant not.

A 6.5 lap course where you can be chased by someone serving life for murder or armed robbery.

Is it really 2.5 year waiting list to get in now think it was 2 months when i went.

It’s not 2.5 years but the waiting list is certainly getting longer I’d say. I requested to run there in October roughly and I’ll be running there late March.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    It’s not 2.5 years but the waiting list is certainly getting longer I’d say. I requested to run there in October roughly and I’ll be running there late March.

How do you get on the list?

Moshman wrote: »
    How do you get on the list?

Pop an email to the event’s email with your barcode number and details and they will get back to you with a slot.

I have all of the Dublin events done bar Progression so very keen to chalk it off and it will be a very unique experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I'd add Clonbur Parkrun. It's just a really scenic course and cuts through wood and lakelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rusty81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Love Vicarstown parkrun, it's an out and back on the blueway. Lovely bunch and they do teas and cake afterwards. Would highly recommend

Advertisement