Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 03-01-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi looking to get our attic converted. Planning Permission has been as we will be changing the roof shape. Does anyone have any recommendations of someone to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gio2

stevekavo wrote: »
    Hi looking to get our attic converted. Planning Permission has been as we will be changing the roof shape. Does anyone have any recommendations of someone to do it?

Thanks

We used 5star attics.ie. Reasonably priced and were finished in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Gio2 wrote: »

How did you find 5 star attics, happy with the work? Did they issue a certificate of compliance after it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

I used https://gmcarpentry.ie/
    owner is Gareth.
    They have done alot of conversions in the new Hansfield area.
    They have done my attic in Hunters Run.
    So easy to deal with, his crew are very clean when working and they are competitively priced.
    I was provided with an Engineers cert for all the work completed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

How did you find 5 star attics, happy with the work? Did they issue a certificate of compliance after it? Thanks

We got ours done by these before Christmas. I’m not connected to them at all, check my posts for the last number of years you won’t see any mention of them.

They were brilliant. In and out in two weeks, fantastic to deal with, came back and fixed the few bits after the final snag with no issue.

Honestly could not recommend them highly enough.

Turned out 3 bed semi into a 4 bed without eating into the box room as well, which other companies had said we’d have to do.

Love our new attic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Could you kind folks let me know how much it cost all in to convert the attic?

Not sure if allowed but a pm with a price would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Wood wrote: »
    Could you kind folks let me know how much it cost all in to convert the attic?

Not sure if allowed but a pm with a price would be appreciated.

Still at pricing stage. Base price between 13,500 and 15,600 ex VAT. Price increases if you opt for Quattro Windows, built in wardrobe etc

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Gio2 wrote: »

Did you need your roof shape changed or was it just a normal attic conversion with them?

I'm in same boat as OP, will be changing roof shape to a gable end from a hip. I was quoted "approx" 30k by a builder, so was wondering whether attic companies can do the roof work or does that need to be done beforehand?
    Also, if you did get roof shape changed, what was total cost of work?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

My total was 15k.
    No change to gable. No planning permission sought.
    Roof type is a hipped roof.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The main cost issue is not is it hipped or not.

Its if you change the roof shape and/or is a truss roof or cut/purlin roof. That doesn't require modification or strengthening.

http://www.magtruss.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Attic-conversion-of-Trussed-Rafter-Roofs-pds8-2013.pdf
    https://www.diydata.com/general_building/roof_construction/roof_construction.php

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

So does an engineering cert mean you can officially call it a extra bedroom when selling?
    I'm in a 3 bed Victorian, but converted one bedroom into a bathroom so want to convert attic.

I'm just concerned that I can't sell it on as a 3 bed if I get it converted.

• Advertisement

So does an engineering cert mean you can officially call it a extra bedroom when selling?
    I'm in a 3 bed Victorian, but converted one bedroom into a bathroom so want to convert attic.

I'm just concerned that I can't sell it on as a 3 bed if I get it converted.

No it doesn't. I think you need 2.4 height in over 50% of the attic for a habitable living space . The majority of attics won't meet this and are classed as conversions for storage but people use as bedrooms although if selling they can't be classed as bedrooms

OK, so what do I need to get an official conversion? My attic seems quite high and is 1/2 converted.
    I'd like to get is assessed officially and plans draw up. Neighbor's is on the market as a 4 bed, one is a conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OK, so what do I need to get an official conversion? My attic seems quite high and is 1/2 converted.
    I'd like to get is assessed officially and plans draw up. Neighbor's is on the market as a 4 bed, one is a conversion.
    I imagine they're lying. Our neighbors are the same. A conversion like you are talking about is far more expensive. €50k possibly. It's not worth it. I'm not sure it's enforced how you list your house on websites.

Lying? They didnt tell me how much they paid to get it converted.
    I didn't think an estate agent could list an attic conversion as a bedroom unless it was properly registered?

As I said a conversion down the road is listed as a an extra bedroom and it's not to spec so I'm not sure the estate agents are that bothered. Who polices the agents?

Yeah, I don't know. I mean I'm just wondering about who sings it off as an extra bedroom.
    Do you know who does that?

I imagine it's building reg's and fire safety but I dont know who signs it off.

Engineer I imagine. A standard conversion needs an engineer cert

Advertisement