Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will a passanger car pass the NCT without rear seats ?

Options
  • 03-01-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm looking to bring a LR defender over from the UK, It was originally a passenger vehicle with back seats but these have been removed and the rear converted to a sort of camper. I'd like to continue to register it as a private vehicle as i'd like the option in the future to refit the seats when not used as a camper. the standing space in the back is less than 1.8 meters so i believe that disqualifies it from being registered as a camper and i don't want to register is as a van as that will add complications with insurance and i'm not going to use it for commercial purposes anyways.

does anybody have any experience with this ? It's also worth noting that the defender is vintage.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im sure it depends on what the log book says.

If it says 5 seats then it will need 5 seats for the NCT.

Theres really no getting around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brsc2909

In that case does anyone know whats needed to register the car as a two seater private vehicle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought it just came up as not fitted on the sheet?

That’s what happens with 7 seaters with seats missing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I thought it just came up as not fitted on the sheet?

That’s what happens with 7 seaters with seats missing.

Maybe its changed these days.

Last one of these I had through the door was an X5 or some other BMW SUV that had the rear seats removed and failed. Owner was using it for business deliveries.

It was never declared as a commercial or even converted to a commercial.

Failed the NCT as the log book said 5 seats but there were only 2 in it.

We had to put back in the seats / belts etc for it to pass.

And then took them back out for him the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I tested my Grand Vitara with the rear seats out, it passed! Belts were there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

I NCTd my CMAX with one of the rear seats out (leaving four in total) no problem. It did note on the cert 'centre seat not present' but passed no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You'll be bringing that for a CVRT, not an NCT.

You'll be bringing that for a CVRT, not an NCT.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why?

Think he means Hellrazer's X5 as he's using a private vehicle for commercial use, the op's defender would be private even as a camper, but i think camper conversions also have different rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

brsc2909 wrote: »
    I'm looking to bring a LR defender over from the UK, It was originally a passenger vehicle with back seats but these have been removed and the rear converted to a sort of camper. I'd like to continue to register it as a private vehicle as i'd like the option in the future to refit the seats when not used as a camper. the standing space in the back is less than 1.8 meters so i believe that disqualifies it from being registered as a camper and i don't want to register is as a van as that will add complications with insurance and i'm not going to use it for commercial purposes anyways.

does anybody have any experience with this ? It's also worth noting that the defender is vintage.

Thanks

You say vintage, how old is it? If it's over 30 years old isn't it NCT exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Skatedude wrote: »
    Think he means Hellrazer's X5 as he's using a private vehicle for commercial use, the op's defender would be private even as a camper, but i think camper conversions also have different rules.

The defender.
    Even if taxed as a private vehicle, it still goes to a CVRT centre, not an NCT centre.

The defender.
    Even if taxed as a private vehicle, it still goes to a CVRT centre, not an NCT centre.

Again, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brsc2909

MadYaker wrote: »
    You say vintage, how old is it? If it's over 30 years old isn't it NCT exempt?

I believe a car needs to be over 40 Years old to be NCT exempt ?
    The defender.
    I don't think this is true ? I've NCT'd private 4x4's before, I don't see why a defender would be different, the car is registered private.

Advertisement