Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric log splitter

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Looking for one of the above, for light domestic use only. There seems to be a few available, online, hire shops etc ranging from 350 to 700 euro for 5 to 7 ton. Jebtools have one which might be suitable. Anyone have any experience with these. Hydraulic tractor mounted not an option. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

The €500 one from jebtools looks ok for your use. They would be slower than petrol splitters but have the advantage of being less noisy and smelly, and so can be used indoors. The vertical type are far less tiring to use as the working table enables you to make multiple splits in a ring, without it falling to the ground and then having to be retrieved and re-split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Bought a cheap horizontal one for about 250 from Harnett products. I've split 3 artic loads over the last 3 years without any issue. Great little thing. Its like anything, if you don't dog it it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

gutteruu wrote: »
    Bought a cheap horizontal one for about 250 from Harnett products. I've split 3 artic loads over the last 3 years without any issue. Great little thing. Its like anything, if you don't dog it it will last.

Sounds good, roughly what would be the maximum length and diameter it would be able for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I can't find it now on their site. It would split 10+inch fine. Retracts about 6-700mm. You can set travel distance shorter for faster splitting. Bit slower than petrol or hydraulic ones but I love it. Can split inside a shed during winter to your heart's content.

Whatever you do don't get the ones that split low down. Seem great to lift logs on but your back will be broke after a few hours. The vertical electric ones with a big table work well too. Table being big is important.

Advertisement