Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External In Ground Recessed Lights

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just wondering is anyone has any experience with in-ground drive way lighting?

I'm due to get my street tarred in the spring so I want to have all my driveway light wiring in place before then.

At the front of my house i have a stone turret, so was hoping to have some lights in ground to illuminate it. I'm looking at the lights in the below link:

http://www.fumagalli.it/product/ceci-160

Does anyone have anything similar? Do you find that they are durable and keep out the rain ok..or should i avoid? If so, any tips on best way to install to ensure they remain water tight?

Thanks All !

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Look fantastic.
    Nice, neat and modern.

But, when there’s problems there’s problems as all the wiring is buried and the recess are made to suit that particular light so possible future alterations harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rugger13

Thanks kceire, ye that's very true regarding any future issues that might occur and then getting to the wires. Decisions decisions !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Rugger13 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm just wondering is anyone has any experience with in-ground drive way lighting?

I'm due to get my street tarred in the spring so I want to have all my driveway light wiring in place before then.

At the front of my house i have a stone turret, so was hoping to have some lights in ground to illuminate it. I'm looking at the lights in the below link:

http://www.fumagalli.it/product/ceci-160

Does anyone have anything similar? Do you find that they are durable and keep out the rain ok..or should i avoid? If so, any tips on best way to install to ensure they remain water tight?

Thanks All !

You could run the wires through a garden hose for extra protection.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks Rows Grower. Luckily my electrician wired armoured electrical cable in that area during the build so I should be good on that front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks Rows Grower. Luckily my electrician wired armoured electrical cable in that area during the build so I should be good on that front :)

Between the turret and the armoured cable sounds like you're ready for any eventuality.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D

need to get the moat started early next spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Recessed Ground lights, Is there a worse type of lighting ?

They all leak at some point, The glass always discolours, the light always gets dimmer as a result until they break.

not for me OP, id get something ground level tbh. It will last longer. Incidently this uplighting only increases light pollution and ruins what can be lovely night skies above your house. They are the worst of all lighting types for outdoors.

Your goal should be to cast light low and across the surface you are illuminating.

Thanks listermint, some great points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get the gel where you pour it into the junction boxes and it means no matter what water won't affect the connections....

Can't think of the name of it but I've used it for such jobs.

Thanks punisher5112, I'll definitely look into that. Have you had any issues with any you've installed?

• Advertisement

Thanks punisher5112, I'll definitely look into that. Have you had any issues with any you've installed?

I used 12v LED and blue ones and they lasted me at least 7 to 8 years.

Looked cool, some have failed now but they were well used.

Just haven't bothered replacement.

When I was an apprentice we done them and it was pre LED type and the many fittings would be water damaged or just a pain to work on.

If you can get a sealed LED unit imo these are best.

Thats great punisher5112 thanks for the info !

Ray tech magic gel is some of the stuff I used, there are others.

Advertisement