Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed upgrade from w7 to w10

Options
  • 02-01-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Today using the link:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

I attempted to upgrade my Sony Viao pcg-71911m to W 10.

Late in the process after downloading & processing, it flagged error :

w 10 upgrade failed
    0x8007001f-0x20006
    the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

Any advice ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Burn the ISO to USB or DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Burn the ISO to USB or DVD

With this step can I choose the partition to install as I wish to preserve existing partitions and will it auto detect my win key ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mrtom wrote: »
    With this step can I choose the partition to install as I wish to preserve existing partitions and will it auto detect my win key ?

You should be asked to Upgrade (this should keep all your programs/drivers etc. installed) or a Custom install if my memory serves me right. no harm getting your CD Key backed up beforehand, you can use this tool for that:
    https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If you have to do a clean install, windows will usually backup all your user directories in a windows.old folder available in the root of C: drive once setup is completed, but I would take a backup of everything important just in case

nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stop trying to upgrade and do a clean install. If an in place upgrade fails walk away and clean install - fiddling it till it works is a great way to end up with a corrupt install and a headache down the road.

ED E wrote: »
    Stop trying to upgrade and do a clean install. If an in place upgrade fails walk away and clean install - fiddling it till it works is a great way to end up with a corrupt install and a headache down the road.

will fresh install auto detect my win key ?Laptop is legacy bios so not embedded.

• Advertisement

Found this post from another recently & answers my question

"All up and running thanks.
    It accepted the win 7 key on the new SSD drive on installing windows 10 from scratch".

Goodbye to:
    "0x8007001f-0x20006
    the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation hell !!
    My research tells me this error related to update issue in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.

thanks all & will proceed with fresh install as advised !
    Can I assume that during this I can choose my C partition to install & preserve my other partitions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Backup the disk and then wipe it to "RAW" and let the 10 installer format it would always be my advice.

The ongoing saga :

I have an illegible smudged W 7 sticker / key on the base of my Sony laptop.
    So I used 3 key retrieval tools; Balarc Advisor, Magic Jelly Bean & Product key finder, all of which gave me an identical key value which doesn't match parts of the smudged sticker that I can read. The retrieved key was rejected during my W 10 clean install.

The Sony has the original W7 OS preinstalled.

solutions anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What edition of Win 7 you had(Home premium, Pro, Enterprise), what edition of Win 10 you attempt to install?

Key mismatch on sticker indicate that win7 was not OEM.

Where you got laptop from?
    Was it repaired at any point in life?

What edition of Win 7 you had(Home premium, Pro, Enterprise), what edition of Win 10 you attempt to install?

Key mismatch on sticker indicate that win7 was not OEM.

Where you got laptop from?
    Was it repaired at any point in life?

W7 home & w 10..

You say key mismatch indicate W7 was not OEM, interesting point yet I bought this new in Curries, granted some time ago, and it has not had a repair yet. I'v sorted out the occasional issues myself and it has the original OS preinstalled.
    Sony tell me to talk to windows, so I'm trying to find a current phone number for windows support.
    Odd indeed
    Found it : 1800554943, the saga continues !

• Advertisement

duridian :

The Win7 OEM key built in to the firmware of your (or indeed anyone’s) device will never match the key on the CoA sticker.

This is a peculiarity of older Windows activation methods such as that used in 7.
    Key in the firmware is a generic key for the brand of your device, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. and version that has been supplied for said device, whether Win7 Home, Pro, Ultimate.
    Key on the CoA is unique to your device, but it is not used from the factory. It is only supplied as a legal requirement.
    In Windows 7, OEM Windows devices (i.e. big name brands like Dell, not home built PCs made by buying individual components yourself, as many of us also do) use the generic key from the firmware (BIOS) of the device, which is validated against an OEM.xrm-ms certificate that is part of the Windows system files installed from a Windows 7 OEM install dvd.

Windows 7 OEM dvds for the various OEM brands contain the certificates needed for that brand. A Dell disc, for example, will install on, again for example, a HP computer, but it will not give you an activated system, because the Dell cert and the HP firmware key won’t match.

If you currently have a Windows 7 install that is activated and working (I mean working other than refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows Update) then I would recommend that you also Google about the following. I have tried to explain as best I can, but hopefully it points you on the right track to research what I speak of before doing it, just to reassure yourself and learn what’s involved.
    (This I should point out is completely legit method, not piracy in any way. You will be using Microsoft tools to do this, and you are entitled to this licence if you have a legit Windows 7.)

Get Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool. A small app to download, this will allow you to get an install ISO of Win10 that you can burn to a DVD and use. Or you can if you know how use a USB key. (Learn about an app called Rufus if you want to use a USB. You’ll need it to make an install USB)
    If you currently have Win7 home basic or home premium, then get Win 10 home ISO. If you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate then get Win10 Pro.

On a Windows 10 install disc there is a file that may be used to generate an activation file from your valid Win7 install which can then be used to permanently activate a corresponding, cleanly installed Win10 install on the same machine, without any need to go through the upgrading from Windows 7 rigmarole.

The file is named “gatherosstate.exe” and it is contained in the sources folder of any Windows 10 install disc.
    Windows 10 activation is different to Windows 7, the branding of your machine won’t matter here, this is a generic method.
    If you copy this file to a folder on your pc, (anywhere on the hard drive, but make sure it is the only file in the folder). Run the file and it will create a XML file “GenuineTicket.xml”, which you should save to some place safe like on a memory stick, as you’ll need to use it later to activate 10. (Clean install will wipe the hard drive/SSD of your computer.)

The rest of the instructions I will just copy/paste from another site

Quote:
    This can also circumvents the "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed" error while upgrading. smile.png

Preconditions:
    You have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x activated successfully (retail or OEM licensing only). This doesn't apply to volume licenses such as KMS or MAK.
    Download the Windows 10 ISO that's suitable for the upgrade path i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Instructions:
    Optional: Validate your copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x
    Install all necessary drivers e.g. ethernet & wireless card
    Open your Windows 10 ISO and extract gatherosstate.exe from the sources folder to your desktop
    Run gatherosstate.exe and wait for the GenuineTicket.xml file to be created
    Copy the GenuineTicket.xml to a USB thumb drive or something
    Boot to your Windows 10 USB or DVD and perform a fresh install
    Disable your internet connection
    Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ and then reboot
    Connect online and you should be activated

If you ever perform a clean install in the future simply select "I don't have a product key" and then when you connect online Windows will activate itself.
    If you can’t see the “Program Data” folder after installing 10, go into folder options in the Windows file explorer and tick show hidden files and folders, as it is by default hidden.

Sorryif I made some typos, as I am doing this on an iPad.
    Good luck!

All this by duridian makes sense.

So you got your solution, did you got it sorted?

Will try this before the weekend & let you know. Seems a neat solution with my learning curve in vertical !!

Have another desktop with apps that function only in W 7 so reading up on dual booting, W7 & W 10. One area I'm unclear about is most programs choose C partition as default yet I'm to create another D partition for 10 so is it the case that during install of programs on the new W 10, I simply point the installation to D so it & associated temp / scratch files locate there?

Thanks for following my journey!

Onwards....

One area I'm unclear about is most programs choose C partition as default yet I'm to create another D partition for 10 so is it the case that during install of programs on the new W 10, I simply point the installation to D so it & associated temp / scratch files locate there?
    Drive letters are assigned by OS automatically. You can change letter yourself but it only valid on System you currently running.
    After you install W10 on another partition it will be irrelevant what you call it on this(W7) OS. Once booted in W10 it'll become C:\ and all programs will install to it (unless other way specified)

Drive letters are assigned by OS automatically. You can change letter yourself but it only valid on System you currently running.
    After you install W10 on another partition it will be irrelevant what you call it on this(W7) OS. Once booted in W10 it'll become C:\ and all programs will install to it (unless other way specified)

Understood, intend install of W 10 on my secondary spinning drive as my primary SSD is only 128 Gb. I'l create a new partition named "W 10" of 60 Gb there.

Yes, exactly as duridan laid out. Science beats luck every time & thanks again, now the hunt for compatible drivers begins for a 2011 Sony laptop !
    Happy days

duridian :

The Win7 OEM key built in to the firmware of your (or indeed anyone’s) device will never match the key on the CoA sticker.

This is a peculiarity of older Windows activation methods such as that used in 7.
    Key in the firmware is a generic key for the brand of your device, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. and version that has been supplied for said device, whether Win7 Home, Pro, Ultimate.
    Key on the CoA is unique to your device, but it is not used from the factory. It is only supplied as a legal requirement.
    In Windows 7, OEM Windows devices (i.e. big name brands like Dell, not home built PCs made by buying individual components yourself, as many of us also do) use the generic key from the firmware (BIOS) of the device, which is validated against an OEM.xrm-ms certificate that is part of the Windows system files installed from a Windows 7 OEM install dvd.

Windows 7 OEM dvds for the various OEM brands contain the certificates needed for that brand. A Dell disc, for example, will install on, again for example, a HP computer, but it will not give you an activated system, because the Dell cert and the HP firmware key won’t match.

If you currently have a Windows 7 install that is activated and working (I mean working other than refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows Update) then I would recommend that you also Google about the following. I have tried to explain as best I can, but hopefully it points you on the right track to research what I speak of before doing it, just to reassure yourself and learn what’s involved.
    (This I should point out is completely legit method, not piracy in any way. You will be using Microsoft tools to do this, and you are entitled to this licence if you have a legit Windows 7.)

Get Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool. A small app to download, this will allow you to get an install ISO of Win10 that you can burn to a DVD and use. Or you can if you know how use a USB key. (Learn about an app called Rufus if you want to use a USB. You’ll need it to make an install USB)
    If you currently have Win7 home basic or home premium, then get Win 10 home ISO. If you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate then get Win10 Pro.

On a Windows 10 install disc there is a file that may be used to generate an activation file from your valid Win7 install which can then be used to permanently activate a corresponding, cleanly installed Win10 install on the same machine, without any need to go through the upgrading from Windows 7 rigmarole.

The file is named “gatherosstate.exe” and it is contained in the sources folder of any Windows 10 install disc.
    Windows 10 activation is different to Windows 7, the branding of your machine won’t matter here, this is a generic method.
    If you copy this file to a folder on your pc, (anywhere on the hard drive, but make sure it is the only file in the folder). Run the file and it will create a XML file “GenuineTicket.xml”, which you should save to some place safe like on a memory stick, as you’ll need to use it later to activate 10. (Clean install will wipe the hard drive/SSD of your computer.)

The rest of the instructions I will just copy/paste from another site

Quote:
    This can also circumvents the "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed" error while upgrading. smile.png

Preconditions:
    You have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x activated successfully (retail or OEM licensing only). This doesn't apply to volume licenses such as KMS or MAK.
    Download the Windows 10 ISO that's suitable for the upgrade path i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Instructions:
    Optional: Validate your copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x
    Install all necessary drivers e.g. ethernet & wireless card
    Open your Windows 10 ISO and extract gatherosstate.exe from the sources folder to your desktop
    Run gatherosstate.exe and wait for the GenuineTicket.xml file to be created
    Copy the GenuineTicket.xml to a USB thumb drive or something
    Boot to your Windows 10 USB or DVD and perform a fresh install
    Disable your internet connection
    Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ and then reboot
    Connect online and you should be activated

If you ever perform a clean install in the future simply select "I don't have a product key" and then when you connect online Windows will activate itself.
    If you can’t see the “Program Data” folder after installing 10, go into folder options in the Windows file explorer and tick show hidden files and folders, as it is by default hidden.

Sorryif I made some typos, as I am doing this on an iPad.
    Good luck!

All worked exactly as you laid out. Science beats luck every time & thanks again, now the hunt for compatible drivers begins for a 2011 Sony laptop !

Advertisement