Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

2019 A Christmas Forum Year In Review

  • 02-01-2020 5:22pm
    #1
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    So as the season comes to a close and the excitement of Christmas week is all but a distant memory at this stage it's time to reflect on the year 2019 in the Christmas Forum.

    2019 ended up being our busiest time of year by a large margin! Breaking over 10.6k posts. Which is phenomenal growth from last year.

    2019 saw the return of the popular Know Your Elves which ran from February right up to December.

    We motivated ourselves to change from puddings to crackers and lost alot of weight along the way.

    We even voted for our favorite sweets and survived to tell the tale.

    The toy show 2019 was an instant classic and stole the hearts of many and even cause a few tears to be shed. And ChristmasFM once again unknowingly had us all momentarily connected as we listened to the same live music together.

    I can honestly say 2019 was one of the best years yet on here. The community spirit here is just fantastic and it's always a beacon of light for me even on the busiest and most stressful of times.

    2019 was a personally tough year for me dealing with unexpected loss and illnesses in loved ones, but I'm eternally grateful I have this wonderful outlet to help distract/vent/escape to.

    What was your highlight for 2019 either in here or in the outside world?

    And any thoughts or ideas for threads/games,etc for 2020 let me know.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭ DvB


    Enjoyed the year on here, first things first though, thanks to yourself and posy for the excellent modding, always makes life easier on a forum when the mods are fair and clued in, so thanks again guys, you run an excellent ship!

    Had an up and down year myself and agree with loughc it's fantastic to have this forum as a vehicle to help deal with the day to day grind, long may it continue as I'd be lost without it at this stage.

    I know I've said this loads of times but it really is the friendliest forum on boards and I'd implore any lurkers to get involved as it's incredibly welcoming.

    I'm sure I'll have more to add to this thread but am a bit all over the place until I get back to work/sat at my pc and get my bearings.

    Here's to a great 2020
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭ Caranica


    I've just spotted that the animals and pets forum did a secret Santa. Is it something we might consider over here?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Caranica wrote: »
    I've just spotted that the animals and pets forum did a secret Santa. Is it something we might consider over here?

    Yes. I love this idea!


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,016 ✭✭✭✭ Mam of 4


    Just make sure the recipient likes Candles first :D

    Joking !!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ Jude13


    Loughc wrote: »
    Yes. I love this idea!

    After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭ Caranica


    Jude13 wrote: »
    After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.

    Pets is more complicated due to variations of species, breeds etc. There was another Irish forum site that has disappeared and we did a Christmas decoration secret Santa one year and every year the beautiful decoration I got reminds me of the craic we used to have on the forums. I remember I got a poster called Alice and I found a beautiful Alice in Wonderland decoration and she loved it (before the days of the Disney shops in Dublin).


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Jude13 wrote: »
    After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.

    I think the biggest problem there would be if someone participated but didn’t send a gift. Then that wouldn’t be very nice or very Christmassy.

    The other fear is everyone receives a novelty gift that manages to offend everyone :P

    I do like the idea of a secret Santa Decoration edition at least everyone knows what they’re getting as such.

    Definitely an idea worth floating this year and if there’s an appetite we can run with it.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Posy wrote: »
    I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!

    Yeah that’s actually a massive GDPR issue. Scrap that so. :)

    So can do a boards secret Santa by PM when you can send someone a link for whatever you want. It could be a joke, a useful website, a YouTube video etc. That way everyone stay anonymous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭ Caranica


    Someone mentioned Elfster on the pets forum as a solution?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    DvB wrote: »
    Enjoyed the year on here, first things first though, thanks to yourself and posy for the excellent modding, always makes life easier on a forum when the mods are fair and clued in, so thanks again guys, you run an excellent ship!

    Had an up and down year myself and agree with loughc it's fantastic to have this forum as a vehicle to help deal with the day to day grind, long may it continue as I'd be lost without it at this stage.

    I know I've said this loads of times but it really is the friendliest forum on boards and I'd implore any lurkers to get involved as it's incredibly welcoming.

    I'm sure I'll have more to add to this thread but am a bit all over the place until I get back to work/sat at my pc and get my bearings.

    Here's to a great 2020

    Here, Here.

    One of my best decisions of last year was to become an active member in here. I found it a great escape from the daily grind and was amazed at how quickly it became a part of my life. Getting to know everyone and sharing in their general life ups and down under a general Christmas umbrella was my highlight of the year. I also especially liked the Know your Elves.

    In the outside world the arrival of Elf 3 and having two months off work in the summer to spend with the family were my highlights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭ CheerLouth


    Have loved the year on here! Thanks to both mods! It's become my ritual to sit at my desk, check my work emails, then make a cuppa and log on to catch up with this forum - it genuinely makes me smile every day :)

    Personally, 2019 was a year of up and downs but the highlight was finally tying the knot with Mr. CL :D Looking forward to an exciting (and busy) 2020 for our family - I'm already planning on being off work for next Christmas so that I can fully enjoy the build up as work was mental this Christmas & I felt I missed the build up that I love so dearly!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    CheerLouth wrote: »
    Have loved the year on here! Thanks to both mods! It's become my ritual to sit at my desk, check my work emails, then make a cuppa and log on to catch up with this forum - it genuinely makes me smile every day :)

    Twinies :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ Jude13


    TRS30 wrote: »
    Here, Here.

    One of my best decisions of last year was to become an active member in here. I found it a great escape from the daily grind and was amazed at how quickly it became a part of my life. Getting to know everyone and sharing in their general life ups and down under a general Christmas umbrella was my highlight of the year. I also especially liked the Know your Elves.

    In the outside world the arrival of Elf 3 and having two months off work in the summer to spend with the family were my highlights.

    Congrats on the Elf (#3)!! Two months off work, maternity?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    Jude13 wrote: »
    Congrats on the Elf (#3)!! Two months off work, maternity?

    Thanks. She is 9 months on Thursday so feels like part of the furniture already :)

    A client was due to start a big project in May/June last year and then delayed it because of Brexit so suddenly looked very quiet in work for a couple of months. I threw out the suggestion of taking July & August off as Parental leave and they went for it! Took the two older ones out of day care and spent a lot of family time together. Was a bit tight money wise however was one of the best things I have done.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ Jude13


    One thing I miss about Europe, proper leave. I was entitled to 1 days leave upon the birth of a child and spent much of that day on the phone.

    Having 3 Elves, I can't imagine it. Though I thought that when I had elf 1, now there's an 11 month old elf 2.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭ TRS30


    Jude13 wrote: »
    One thing I miss about Europe, proper leave. I was entitled to 1 days leave upon the birth of a child and spent much of that day on the phone.

    Having 3 Elves, I can't imagine it. Though I thought that when I had elf 1, now there's an 11 month old elf 2.

    Yes, we should consider ourselves quite lucky in that regard. I know from talking to people who work in other parts of the world that don't have anywhere near the annual, maternity, parental etc leave that we get here.

    To be honest, going from 1 to 2 was a bigger adjustment then 2 to 3 imo. My wife mightn't agree though!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    It was my first Secret Santa and I loved it. ( mine is the knitted play mat on the thread! ) Wanted to find a way to thank the forum for all the support especially when we lose beloved pets. and the sharing of the joys our pets give us) This seemed ideal and should have been
    NB I would have been happy simply to give and not get anything. It was the giving that meant all .

    I was shocked and saddened at the way the posts went then and would never take part again unless that were safeguarded... as I have said on the thread.

    It is a great idea if well managed. ie total anonymity
    Jude13 wrote: »
    After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    There was no mention of names; well the pets were named! The postman must have thought I was crazy getting a parcel addressed to Boycat! And mine went off to the named cats I was gifting. Never knew the name of the owner.

    Posy wrote: »
    I thought the biggest problem would be working out real names and addresses, and who gets that information!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Valerie Wonderful Headset


    I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the forum this year - good fun and good ideas.

    I'd avoid the Secret Santa like the plague. I've seen them up close for years. You'll never please everybody, people will go over the spending limit while others will cheapskate it or give poor quality homemade items that nobody could value or want. There will be novelty items that offend and, if you're serious about it, more hassle deciding on a suitable gift when already busy with Christmas. To cap it all, we get enough at Christmas anyway.


    A big thank you to all who gave life to the forum.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    Replying to Jude, to the post I have quoted at the end of this post.

    It makes me incredibly sad to read this, ie to take abuse of
    a great idea as an indication that the idea itself is bad!

    Secret Santa is magic. It was my first encounter and truly great. It has all the true elements of Christmas; the giving, the planning, the secrecy and enchantment of all of those things. Everyone loves getting a gift.. ) my family do not do gifts so this made it very special)

    And easy enough to plan ahead a little?

    Any idea/scheme is only ever as good as the current participants; it had been very very good on the pets forum and was so well organised. I loved it! Made me incredibly sad to read of the abuse of the idea later. I posted that I will take part again IF it is tidied up to avoid what happened, That would be very easy to do with a simple safeguard, and folk here are as honest as the day! They really are. and so well motivated.( I am not really a "Christmas person" but I stayed around as the zest and enthusiasm are contagious!)

    Just was so bad that this happened but it can be set right.

    I remain sure that on THIS forum, which is just about the best motivated and supported and best organised forum on the whole of boards, Secret Santa would be totally brilliant! And I would certainly support it and participate fully as I did this time.

    Please do not discount it because of abuse of it? For me it was a way to thank the kindness of folk there.

    I will miss it.



    Jude13 wrote: »
    After reading the latest posts in relation to the Pets Secret Santa I would avoid at all costs, especially if I was a Mod.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭ Sundew


    Folks just wanted to post a big Thank You to all the participants on this forum. Whilst I was unable to do much posting due to a pretty crappy few months
    ( a lot of family stuff & health issues).I got a huge boost from pouring over many of the great posts on here. I really enjoy my little Christmas “ fix” every day!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭ CheerLouth


    Hope you are on the mend now, Sundew :) And a much better year in store for you this year, fingers crossed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭ Sundew


    CheerLouth wrote: »
    Hope you are on the mend now, Sundew :) And a much better year in store for you this year, fingers crossed.

    It’s shaping up to be better then 2019! I’ve ordered a few Christmas ornaments from Etsy and U.S to start the year off!😎


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    Glad to hear it, Sundew. :)


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Sundew wrote: »
    It’s shaping up to be better then 2019! I’ve ordered a few Christmas ornaments from Etsy and U.S to start the year off!😎

    You started the year off good!! :D

    I hope all is well in your clan and you’re on the mend! :)


Advertisement