Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo V60 diesel PHEV

Options
  • 02-01-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Anybody know anything about these yokes?

A few of them in the UK at not ball-breaking prices.

VRT is tiny (less than €400) on the model I looked at.

2.4 diesel.
    8 kWh useable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭kirving

This is the D6 model, yes? What year are you looking at? Extremely uncommon in Ireland, up to a few years ago anyway.

I seriously considered importing one 2 years ago now, but in the end I backed out because revenue were looking for €4k VRT.

They had valued a 5/6 yo car that was £12k GBP at €44k, and with only one other in Ireland that was yet unregistered, I wasn't going to be the guinea pig to get them to reduce the cost, but it looks like someone did that for me after all.

€400 is a bargain. The depreciation code at the time was A1, it now looks to be H2.

NOx charge appears to be only €180 for a car between Jan 13 and April 15. Nice!

Limited boot due to batteries, infotainment a bit out of date compared to competitors.

But... AWD, fast 0-60, strong and well proven 2.4D, rarity, what's not to love?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, it’s the D6.
    Would like an R Design, but hard to come by.
    So probably a Lux.

What’s not to love?
    Haven’t a clue!

Is the 2.4D lump reliable?
    The boot seems decent enough. It’s shallow but long...from pictures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Casati

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s the D6.
    Would like an R Design, but hard to come by.
    So probably a Lux.

What’s not to love?
    Haven’t a clue!

Is the 2.4D lump reliable?
    The boot seems decent enough. It’s shallow but long...from pictures anyway.

They were serious money new so didn’t sell well here. The 2.4 D5 was a super engine and reliable. I’d go with one, especially with that tiny vrt/ nox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don’t have any specific knowledge of this car but a diesel PHEV doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Diesel needs to get up to temp to run properly and if it has a DPF it will need regular opportunities to blow that out. With a PHEV the idea is that the engine only fires up when you need the power, I can’t imagine that will be enough for a Diesel engine to run properly long term.

I would need to see reviews and drive it myself before I’d consider travelling to the UK for one.

PHEV needs to be petrol really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Seems like a perfect hybrid option for a sole trader considering the write offs (you can't write off the vat on petrol, you can with diesel)

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Seems like a perfect hybrid option for a sole trader considering the write offs (you can't write off the vat on petrol, you can with diesel)

Yeah I agree, see Mercedes are continuing with hybrid/ PHEV diesels with the new E300e launched and plans for more PHEV diesels

As per KCross it depends on how you drive it though, if you are using it for short journeys but are heavy on the throttle and turning the Diesel engine on and off continuously then you might have Dpf issues. If you are however driving on electricity for city commune of 20km each way and doing long motorway spins on alternative days (typical of my driving actually) then it could be two cars in one.

The power and performance is not to sniffed at either not many cars that age / price that will have that sort power/ torque

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

KCross wrote: »
    I don’t have any specific knowledge of this car but a diesel PHEV doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Diesel needs to get up to temp to run properly and if it has a DPF it will need regular opportunities to blow that out. With a PHEV the idea is that the engine only fires up when you need the power, I can’t imagine that will be enough for a Diesel engine to run properly long term.

I would need to see reviews and drive it myself before I’d consider travelling to the UK for one.

PHEV needs to be petrol really.

Looking at what came after, Volvo seems to agree with you.

I remember looking these up, but every single review was negative on them: Poor economy, huge weight, not great to drive and tiny space.

I had a read of a review of this car on carmagazine.co.uk and they averaged 44mpg!

That’s very poor for a PHEV.

They had a few other negatives as well.

It wouldn’t be the car for me anyway.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/volvo/volvo-v60-plug-in-hybrid-2015-long-term-test-review/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I remember looking these up, but every single review was negative on them: Poor economy, huge weight, not great to drive and tiny space.

Mercedes disagree

E300de is a huge success in home market

60mpg, 40km EV range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I had a read of a review of this car on carmagazine.co.uk and they averaged 44mpg!

That’s very poor for a PHEV.

They had a few other negatives as well.

It wouldn’t be the car for me anyway.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/volvo/volvo-v60-plug-in-hybrid-2015-long-term-test-review/

A petrol pumping out almost 250bhp in a 2500kg car wouldnt get close to 44mpg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Mercedes disagree

E300de is a huge success in home market

60mpg, 40km EV range

And the C300de looks like it will be a big seller and slightly more efficient.

It does depend on how you use it but one of those would work well for me and plenty of other users I would think.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    A petrol pumping out almost 250bhp in a 2500kg car wouldnt get close to 44mpg?

PHEV petrols are not your standard petrol. They are designed and tuned for PHEV. It would be much better than 44mpg.

I’d also wonder what the lag would be like in a diesel PHEV. The petrol ones have a little lag while the engine turns on but I presume a diesel would have turbo lag as well. Maybe I’m too negative here, pity there are none around for a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

PHEV petrols are not your standard petrol. They are designed and tuned for PHEV. It would be much better than 44mpg.

I’d also wonder what the lag would be like in a diesel PHEV. The petrol ones have a little lag while the engine turns on but I presume a diesel would have turbo lag as well. Maybe I’m too negative here, pity there are none around for a test drive.

Not so sure about much better to be honest given what I’ve seen and heard. Was getting low 30s in an xc90 T8 and I’ve told low 40s from v90 t8 owners.

Not so sure about much better to be honest given what I’ve seen and heard. Was getting low 30s in an xc90 T8 and I’ve told low 40s from v90 t8 owners.

I did Cork-Dublin return in a Niro PHEV and it did 4.9l/100km on the way up with a full battery and 5.4l/100km on the way back with no battery and that was driving at 120km/h all the way and fully loaded.

Admittedly that’s in a lighter and smaller engine car but it gives an idea.

I just don’t think 44mpg is good, particularly for diesel. Any bog standard 2l diesel will do better than that so a PHEV should be better again, otherwise it’s pointless.

Weight and aerodynamics must be against it to only return that. The V60 has a lot of poke too I guess so nothing for nothing.

You say pointless.

But doing your daily commute on leccy, and then getting over 40mpg when you have to travel isn't to be sniffed at. Would certainly bring the average mpg way up.

As an aside, I door-stepped a lad at my kids' school this morning. V60 PHEV still on yellow plates!
    He'd only just brought her in.
    Had a quick chat, swapped numbers, and I can have a nose/drive around when time suits me!

Bloody odds of that happening?!

Diesel needs to get up to temp to run properly and if it has a DPF it will need regular opportunities to blow that out
    . With a PHEV the idea is that the engine only fires up when you need the power, I can’t imagine that will be enough for a Diesel engine to run properly long term.

PHEV needs to be petrol really

If the Diesel engine starts at all during your regular commute. The majority of diesel issues don't occur because of 5 minute bursts around town - there just isn't the sum total of mileage bing accrued to cause a problem between the inevitable long run where a regen will occur. With a PHEV, the engine is off almost all the time around town traffic.

It's the 20-30 minute daily commute on quicker roads, that seems like a short commute, but is actually quite high mileage per week, that really cause DPF issues - because it's high mileage @ low temperature.
    Casati wrote: »
    If you are however driving on electricity for city commune of 20km each way and doing long motorway spins on alternative days (typical of my driving actually) then it could be two cars in one.

The power and performance is not to sniffed at either not many cars that age / price that will have that sort power/ torque

With my commute, I would be on electric all week for my 5 minute commute, and only used the diesel engine maybe twice per week going cross country.

That's assuming that manufacturers make decisions on the basis of engineering only. For Volvo to develop a newer, more efficient diesel engine probably wasn't worth the investment. Mercedes make 4X the number of cars that Volvo do, nevermind their vans or trucks so can justify investment far more easily.

Certainly some downsides, but for the right driving style, I don't think it's too bad. I only want an Estate to fit a bike in the back, so total boot volume isn't really a consideration for me.

Leaving aside the absolute farce that is the NOx charge, a comparable 320D Estate could be at additional 3k in VRT/NOx by the time it's landed here. Obviously the BMW is a better drive, but the cost is a factor.

PHEV petrols are like any normal petrol, nothing particularly special. The CVT (if used) is then set to aim for the most efficient RPM - not great to drive either, and I don't think any better in terms of fuel in the real world. http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is300h

I think you should drive one, or something similar.. My own mild-hybrid diesel E300 is more intelligent than just using battery power up to a point and diesel afterward. If I press the throttle quickly, the engine has started and the clutch has come in before the 20kW motor has hit it's limit.

Don't get me wrong, there is some lag at times which annoys me, but no worse than any other diesel with stop/start tech.

I just don’t think 44mpg is good, particularly for diesel. Any bog standard 2l diesel will do better than that so a PHEV should be better again, otherwise it’s pointless.

Weight and aerodynamics must be against it to only return that. The V60 has a lot of poke too I guess so nothing for nothing.

44mpg is not great, but not the worst either, and doesn't factor in that some people can drive on electric most of the time.

BEV's, PHEV's, and in particular this one suit a small section of the population currently. If it does indeed suit, and you're prepared to live with some downsides, you have the opportunity right now to save 3k vs similar models.

If the Diesel engine starts at all during your regular commute. The majority of diesel issues don't occur because of 5 minute bursts around town - there just isn't the sum total of mileage bing accrued to cause a problem between the inevitable long run where a regen will occur. With a PHEV, the engine is off almost all the time around town traffic.

It's the 20-30 minute daily commute on quicker roads, that seems like a short commute, but is actually quite high mileage per week, that really cause DPF issues - because it's high mileage @ low temperature.

I agree. Its down to how the car is driven and most people have no clue about what you have just described so its hard for them to make the right decision on whether a car like this suits them or not.

PHEV petrols are like any normal petrol, nothing particularly special.

Hybrid petrols tend to use Atkinson cycle engines for efficiency and are tuned as such to run at their most efficient RPM when twinned with a motor. They are not at all like normal petrols.

The CVT (if used) is then set to aim for the most efficient RPM - not great to drive either, and I don't think any better in terms of fuel in the real world. http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is300h

I think you should drive one, or something similar..

I have! :)
    I gave my real world consumption figures above.

44mpg is not great, but not the worst either, and doesn't factor in that some people can drive on electric most of the time.

It was their average. They got 60mpg on some runs but 44 was their average. With PHEV's the mpg is a difficult one to measure as its entirely dependent on your driving pattern.
    BEV's, PHEV's, and in particular this one suit a small section of the population currently. If it does indeed suit, and you're prepared to live with some downsides, you have the opportunity right now to save 3k vs similar models.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all in with BEV/PHEV. I regularly argue for PHEV on the forum (usually Im a lonely voice doing it!) but I just dont think diesel suits PHEV unless you have really really specific requirements.

A petrol PHEV, which will still return stellar mpg figures if you have a commute within its EV range, is a better choice imo. Each to their own.

@Soarer, one question I think you should ask your new found friend is, does the engine have to run to heat the cabin and does it have cabin pre-heating.

For the Niro PHEV it has to run the engine to heat the cabin so eventhough you might be only doing a 5km run to the school/shop the engine would run to try to give you heat. And it had no cabin pre-heating. Both of those were design misses imo.

The point being, you might think you would not burn any diesel Mon-Fri on your short work commute but maybe you actually will if the engine has to be used to heat the car. Ask anyway, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

PHEV petrols are like any normal petrol, nothing particularly special. The CVT (if used) is then set to aim for the most efficient RPM - not great to drive either, and I don't think any better in terms of fuel in the real world. http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is300h
    The IS300h is old tech at this stage. It made more sense in terms of efficiency in somewhere like the US market where the typical engine for a car like that would be a 3-litre petrol V6. Not a good example really (note also that site shows US gallons by default). I much prefer a petrol hybrid with CVT to a manual diesel with stupidly narrow power band, turbo lag, clatter (sure modern diesels are quieter but still so much worse than a petrol), etc.
    For the Niro PHEV it has to run the engine to heat the cabin so eventhough you might be only doing a 5km run to the school/shop the engine would run to try to give you heat. And it had no cabin pre-heating. Both of those were design misses imo.
    It's a cost vs. efficiency thing really. The current Prius Plug-in has an efficient electric heat pump (not sure if pre-heating available on Irish models) but costs €37k. Running the engine is still maybe arguably more efficient than using resistive heating.

And another minus for diesel PHEVs if they don't have some electric heating: Diesel engines take a lot longer to warm up than petrol, and petrol hybrids are already using active grille shutters (manual in my case :) ), exhaust heat recovery, etc. to assist.

I agree. Its down to how the car is driven and most people have no clue about what you have just described so its hard for them to make the right decision on whether a car like this suits them or not.
    Agreed, but to be fair the government effectively forced diesels on most of the population who in reality would have been better driving petrols.

Yesterday's scapegoat was CO2, today is NOx, and in 5-10 years time when tax revenues fall, it will be the mining of lithium or manufacture of carbon nanotubes.

Hybrid petrols tend to use Atkinson cycle engines for efficiency and are tuned as such to run at their most efficient RPM when twinned with a motor. They are not at all like normal petrols.

In practice that's achieved by valve timing rather than an overly complex crankshaft. Some Lexus engines allow on-the-fly shift between Otto and Atkinson, it's not a fundamentally different engine as such.
    I have! :)
    I gave my real world consumption figures above.

I meant the diesel lag. I can't see it being as smooth as a 330e, but in my experience it shouldn't be too bad for a diesel either.
    It was their average. They got 60mpg on some runs but 44 was their average. With PHEV's the mpg is a difficult one to measure as its entirely dependent on your driving pattern.

Totally, I think I'd benefit from it a lot, others may not of course. There's a price to pay for nearly double the power of the Niro PHEV.
    Dont get me wrong, I'm all in with BEV/PHEV. I regularly argue for PHEV on the forum (usually Im a lonely voice doing it!) but I just dont think diesel suits PHEV unless you have really really specific requirements.

A petrol PHEV, which will still return stellar mpg figures if you have a commute within its EV range, is a better choice imo. Each to their own.

Where I work at least, short commute around town and home to all parts of the country on the weekend is a very common occurrence, a Diesel PHEV isn't the worst option for this.

My preference would be petrol too all else being equal, but our tax regime has meant that the potential market for this car is wider than would otherwise be the case, it's a very good saving monetarily over (arguably better) rivals.

@Soarer, one question I think you should ask your new found friend is, does the engine have to run to heat the cabin and does it have cabin pre-heating.

The point being, you might think you would not burn any diesel Mon-Fri on your short work commute but maybe you actually will if the engine has to be used to heat the car. Ask anyway, just to be sure.

Was chatting to him on the phone at lunchtime.

From what I could tell, it has both electrical and fuel heaters, so it can preheat the cabin from either mains or fuel (you can select onboard/in the app.)
    Don't know about when you're on the move. Will find out more when I have a look at the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

what year/model did you get the 400 VRT on, I was looking at a 2016 D6 and was getting 1200 approx..nice looking car.

2016 D5 SE with 55k on the clock comes in at €395.

2015 version of the same car is €280!

The D6 is a bit of a jump alright.

Was chatting to him on the phone at lunchtime.

From what I could tell, it has both electrical and fuel heaters, so it can preheat the cabin from either mains or fuel (you can select onboard/in the app.)
    Don't know about when you're on the move. Will find out more when I have a look at the car.

Cool. If you can stay within it’s range and I believe you have a light foot anyway so it might do you fine as you won’t be spinning up the engine much looking for extra power.

What EV range does it have? Probably 30km?

About that. Maybe a bit more with a light foot.

Lads in the uk are/were getting 25 miles in the summer without trying to hypermile.
    So I’m aiming for 25-35km all year round.

2016 D5 SE with 55k on the clock comes in at €395.

2015 version of the same car is €280!

The D6 is a bit of a jump alright.

D5 should be a lot more economical but you still get that lovely 5 cylinder engine. Others might like the sound off the Prius with a CVT under full revs passing out 😂but for me that Volvo 5 cylinder is much better experience

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

I would originally though the same about using the petrol engine to supply heat but look at the overall picture.

In practice at this time of the year, I find my 2.0 petrol engine idles for about 5 mins to provide heat and at the same time generates electricity.
    So the litre of petrol is used very efficiently with little waste as the typical waste heat is actually required and used.

In real terms there’s more energy in 1 litre of petrol as the entire PHEV battery!

As with most larger diesels of this era, the Volvo may have a Webasto diesel powered water heater built in which could provide heat when the engine is not running.

All diesels of this age will have a dpf which catches the soot from cold starts. This will needs to be driven for a period hot to regenerate. A gentle drive with the engine cutting in and out will not provide the heat needed to regenerate.

This car did not sell in big numbers new and all are out of warranty so used parts will not be easy to get which means Volvo can make up their own prices.

If it’s a car for work where mileage is paid, I’d look at a D5/D6 for this and an EV for the household.

If it’s what you want you only live once!

The point being, you might think you would not burn any diesel Mon-Fri on your short work commute but maybe you actually will if the engine has to be used to heat the car. Ask anyway, just to be sure.[/quote]

Evening all
    Sitting in Fishguard Port waiting for the ferry, so figured I’d throw this together.
    After much huffing and puffing, I finally decided to go for a V60 PHEV.
    Spotted her on Autotrader at a Volvo main dealer.
    141 V60 PHEV D6 SE LUX. 54k miles. AWD.
    Oodles of extras (guts of £7k by my reckoning), including the all important sunroof!
    Engine: 2.4 Twin-Turbo Diesel. 215bhp. 325lb/ft Torque
    Electric Motor: 70 hp. 147lb/ft Torque.

Will do a proper write up probably Friday. Need to get her vrt’d tomorrow as she turns 6 on Friday so will lose €250 from the rebate! Expecting to have to pay the bigger amount and appeal the date, but maybe not.

Happy out at the minute anyways.
    Happy and tired.

Evening all
    Sitting in Fishguard Port waiting for the ferry, so figured I’d throw this together.
    After much huffing and puffing, I finally decided to go for a V60 PHEV.
    Spotted her on Autotrader at a Volvo main dealer.
    141 V60 PHEV D6 SE LUX. 54k miles. AWD.
    Oodles of extras (guts of £7k by my reckoning), including the all important sunroof!
    Engine: 2.4 Twin-Turbo Diesel. 215bhp. 325lb/ft Torque
    Electric Motor: 70 hp. 147lb/ft Torque.

Will do a proper write up probably Friday. Need to get her vrt’d tomorrow as she turns 6 on Friday so will lose €250 from the rebate! Expecting to have to pay the bigger amount and appeal the date, but maybe not.

Happy out at the minute anyways.
    Happy and tired.

Well wear, think that’s a great car you’ve got. I know I’d rather be in a V60 than the boards preferred Outlander PHEV with 1980’s switchgear!

Right, a couple of minutes to myself.

The car when advertised on Autotrader had an asking price of £15,950.
    Back and forth via email for a few days asking questions, then rang with card in hand ready to give a deposit.
    Told them that the price was too high, Sterling is strong, taxes are crippling over here, yada yada, and the best I could do would be £14,800!
    Got told they couldn’t do that.
    I asked him where they needed to be, and he said £15,500.
    Politely told him that, as much as I’d love the car, I couldn’t stretch that far, thanks for taking my call, and best of luck with the sale.

Less than 10 minutes later, he rang back saying their absolute bottom line is £15,250* as they have to put 4 new 18” tyres on her!

So I paid the £500 deposit there and then!

Because she’s a Selekt car, there’s a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty, which is transferrable to Volvo Ireland. He also said they’ll service the car and put a fresh MOT on her. I asked if it’ll be the 6 year service (as she’s 6 this month), there was a lot of tapping on the keyboard, and he agreed that it would be.
    The belt is every 6 years or 108k miles, and is a ~£700 service in the UK!

In the intervening few days, I was back and forth with more questions.
    Car only had a granny cable. Asked about sourcing a Type 2 - Type 2 cable. Was told it was £366! So shag that!
    Asked about a Supagard upgrade while they were valeting her. Got quoted £399. Again, shag that!

Made my way over on Wednesday, and arrived at the dealership at about 15:00 (after they traveled the 40 miles to collect me!).

Car was on the forecourt waiting for me. She looked lovely to be fair. Opened the bonnet, and the sticker noting the cambelt change was there.
    Was also nicely surprised that they hadn't thrown some cheap unbranded tyres on her, but Pirelli P-Zeros none the less!
    Opened the boot, no granny cable!
    Instead, a brand new T2-T2 still in it's wrapper!
    Apparently another lad sold a car that had no charging cable at all, and it was being collected sharpish. So he took the granny cable from my car, and my fella ordered a new proper cable for me and threw it in FOC! Ace!

Took her for a spin after that. Lovely.
    Back to the dealership, paid my money and hit the road.

Itinerary.
    Wednesday 22nd.
    Coach Cork – Dublin Airport – 07:30
    Flight Dublin – Bristol – 12:30
    Dealership by 15:00.
    180 mile drive to Fishguard.
    23:45 – Ferry Fishguard to Rosslare.
    Thursday 23rd.
    04:00 – Disembarked the ferry.
    06:45 – Arrive home, brought kids to school, went to sleep!

Had to VRT her on the day I got home, the 23rd, as the car turned 6 on January 24th so she’d lose €250 from the PHEV grant for being an extra year older!
    As I suspected, their system only calculated from the month of first registration, even though the date is recorded. So I had to pay €250 more than I should have. But the appeal has been sent away already, so hopefully there won't be any issue with that.

Total Cost:
    Purchase Price - €17,442
    Bus to Dublin- €18
    Plane to Bristol- €10
    Ferry - €156
    VRT CO2 - €714
    VRT NOx - €180
    Miscellaneous (diesel/food/etc.) - €60

Grand total of €18,520, hopefully less another €250.

So a bit more than I was hoping to pay for any car (strong Sterling didn't help!), but hopefully she’s a machine with years of motoring left in her...covered by a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.

* - The evening before I traveled, I got a call from the sales manager to say there was a problem with the car. There was noise coming from the vacuum pump on the brakes. He said they've no problem replacing the part, but it's a backorder and not available until February.
    I said that's no good to me as I'm flying out in the morning.
    So he said he can knock £500 off the agreed price of the car, as that would be the price if it were to be done at their garage.
    That's great I said, but I'm sure my local dealer will probably charge a multiple of that to get it fixed over here (playing the game!), so you'll have to compensate me more than that.
    He umed and awed for a few seconds, and then offered to throw in the Supagard protection for free as compensation.
    So I agreed to that.

Today I rang my local dealer, and the vacuum pump is €360+vat, plus labour for fitting. So not too dissimilar to the £500 being charged in the UK.
    It's not affecting the drive in any way, and isn't loud by any means. So I might just leave that off until her annual service.

So that's all she wrote folks. Any questions, fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sounds like a good dealer!

Advertisement