Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wall clock motor?

Options
  • 02-01-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This might be the wrong forum, but perhaps someone might know.

Bought a wall clock, cheap thing with the simple motor thing at the back that takes a single AA. I like the face of the clock but the motor makes and awful sound/noise that seems to vary with the position of the big hand - just plain annoying.

If I could find a replacement 'motor' that was silent I could easily swap it. My issue, how do I search for a 'motor' that is silent - all I come across is cheap stuff on ebay ( like <5euro).

I just want a silent motor that will do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    This might be the wrong forum, but perhaps someone might know.

Bought a wall clock, cheap thing with the simple motor thing at the back that takes a single AA. I like the face of the clock but the motor makes and awful sound/noise that seems to vary with the position of the big hand - just plain annoying.

If I could find a replacement 'motor' that was silent I could easily swap it. My issue, how do I search for a 'motor' that is silent - all I come across is cheap stuff on ebay ( like <5euro).

I just want a silent motor that will do the job.

Maybe the big hand is getting caught in the face of the clock.
    Have a closer look when it comes to that area.
    You may be able to bend the hand slightly to clear what is catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

elperello wrote: »
    Maybe the big hand is getting caught in the face of the clock.
    Have a closer look when it comes to that area.
    You may be able to bend the hand slightly to clear what is catching it.
    Nothing is getting stuck, I've tested the motor without any hands and still just sounds weird. It was a cheap clock to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jogdish wrote: »
    Nothing is getting stuck, I've tested the motor without any hands and still just sounds weird. It was a cheap clock to begin with.

Try one of the movements from ebay then.
    You probably have a faulty one. They shouldn't make noise.
    Only €5 worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try the Carpentry Store in Naas, they sell clock motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Try the Carpentry Store in Naas, they sell clock motors.
    Taken a chance on a 'movement' from them, will see. thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement