Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic Masculinity harming MEN

Options
  • 01-01-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm not talking about pc terms. I'm talking about blatant stupidity, ignorance or negative mindsets against people just being themselves. Men have emotions, even the stoic men and some eventually have a meltdown or difficulty when it reaches boiling point. It can also really cast a shadow long term causing worry and stress ruining other or all parts of their lives. Why do you think people are known to find Xmas a real struggle ?

People often find life hard but if someone is condemned or looked down on, or if they get repetitive little remarks or immediately cut down to size over certain innocent aspects of themselves or their behaviour ... ? The point is men may find some other guys chipping away at them making things worse before they even attempt to speak out, and then to a less than eager ear that doesn't get it. They may be given some regimented instructions or choices - rather than support they might end up with sort yourself out with an obvious WTF by the macho dude to end.

I didn't realise what it was for a long time. I just thought it was people playing games or being themselves or a control thing. It is not applicable to women hence the reason for whomever classifying it as they did. It is a recognised term displaying an exaggerated and stony macho outlook with certain unwavering set criteria and behaviour expected to be reached by others. It dominates their own behaviour in a way that is carefully measured and sought by them to conform with their archaic view of the male stereotype. They discourage any overstepping or blurring of the gender stereotypes and make their opinions more like standards, demands and expectations. It means things like expecting others to man up, talk is for women, men are doers, men should earn more, men don't wear pink ever and boys should play sport etc. and the list goes on. They will react disapprovingly and often in a premeditated manner in order to control and remove undesirable traits or behaviour. It can put pressure on others to reach unrealistic expectations and seek to diminish others.O

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cmod note: Personal Issues is not a discussion forum; it is a forum where posters can ask for advice on specific concerns. Can you please clarify what your question is that you require advice on?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Skippyme

Hi Mary I want it discussed as a societal and mental health issue BUT I have already been told it is not suitable for the Social Current Affairs and also not for Current Affairs.
    It is a Mental Health Issue rather and includes people's relationships because of how people interact, judge and treat people and what is expected of them.

It is an issue that I can't seem to place in Debates when I read the instructions there as you need to be a certain member or team I gather ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unfortunately it’s not suitable for PI either, as it’s not a personal issue. I’d suggest trying The Gentlemen’s Club as a potential forum, but I’m not sure of their charter so it’s worth reading it first to be sure the topic would be allowed. I’ll lock this thread now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement