Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting beech with a drill bit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've a gardening question......

I have a stone/earth bank which was covered in a mix of shrubs/briars which has become completely overgrown. I'm currently cutting/mulching it all (has anyone else tried out one of these, they're amazing, like a handheld flail https://www.amazon.co.uk/295508-0-Universal-Mulching-Brushcutter-Husqvarna/dp/B00RZH1MGM/ref=asc_df_B00RZH1MGM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309952971598&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14336615751647081734&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20493&hvtargid=pla-464188477866&psc=1&th=1&psc=1)

Anyway once I've cleared it I want to plant beech on it, will be looking at some relatively small bare roots, will probably plant 3 rows deep, tightly spaced to make a really solid low hedge, because it's on top of the bank I'm only wanting to end up about 2 foot tall.

The one challenge is the ground I'm planting in. it's basically all roots and stones and pretty undiggable. the only option would be to take out the whole bank and start fresh, but the bank is faced nicely in stone and I don't really want to redo it from scratch.

I took a notion, could I drill holes and set the trees in them? I have an SDS drill and was thinking would a 2 inch hole be enough for a small bare root? and maybe backfill the holes with some sort of soil/compost mix

Thoughts? or should I just bite the bullet and hire a digger.

How strong are you feeling? There's a very good chance of breaking your wrist drill holes that size in stoney ground with an sds drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭phormium

There is a thing like a drill bit you can get for planting bulbs, makes about a 3" hole, I bought one last autumn and loved it! Now I wasn't planting hundreds but it worked fine for what I needed. Can find details somewhere if you want them, in fact they sent me two by mistake :)

Admittedly there was a nasty twist to the drill when it hit hard ground, I was digging in a new bed but it was nice topsoil for about 3 inches and compacted stony clay under that, you had to be prepared for the jerk when it hit the stony stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Mini digger or micro digger hire.

End of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

aido79 wrote: »
    How strong are you feeling? There's a very good chance of breaking your wrist drill holes that size in stoney ground with an sds drill.
    phormium wrote: »
    There is a thing like a drill bit you can get for planting bulbs, makes about a 3" hole, I bought one last autumn and loved it! Now I wasn't planting hundreds but it worked fine for what I needed. Can find details somewhere if you want them, in fact they sent me two by mistake :)

Admittedly there was a nasty twist to the drill when it hit hard ground, I was digging in a new bed but it was nice topsoil for about 3 inches and compacted stony clay under that, you had to be prepared for the jerk when it hit the stony stuff!

Most modern SDS drills have a clutch on them. It makes them less powerful, but removes the excitement of having a core drill snatch when you're half way up a ladder.

I'm actually gonna try for a regular twist drill bit if I could find one for reasonable money, rather than a soil auger, will be less snatchy than an auger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

slipperyox wrote: »
    Mini digger or micro digger hire.

End of

Why?

Because I won't be able to drill the holes? or because the trees won't grow in the holes?

Two very different answers. I'm willing to try if it's the first one, but the second is a bigger issue.

removing a bank that has been there for god knows how many years and rebuilding it's stone face and repairing damage to the lawn makes me more than willing to get beat up a little trying to drill holes, but only if the trees have a chance of growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

You need to add manure, and require a deep and broad trench, if you want healthy growth.

You also want to minimise weed growth in spring, so wet newspapers will help here, Especially if all sources of root weeds are removed,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dig a trench at the back of the bank and plant you hedge there, grass seed the top of the bank . Eventually the hedge will get to the height you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Any update on how you got on

Advertisement