Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are microsoft the new apple

Options
  • 31-12-2019 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Apple is currently the clear top dog in the tech market but I recently got a hands on with some Microsoft surface equipment including the surface desktop with the gravity hinge that's clearly aimed at design work and some of the best designed and looking laptops I have ever seen but they are crazy expensive. Back in the nineties when I first started using tech Microsoft ruled the world and the only people buying Macs were graphic designers and some trendy writers and the like as they had really good hardware but were to pricey and alot of business software wasn`t available on them
    So is Microsoft the new apple
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Top dog in earnings but Windows (and android) are by far the dominant operating systems in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Microsoft have been making some fantastic tech for many, many years now. But they have a few problems that holds them down.

Weirdly, Microsoft is fractured. Because there are so so many different OEM's that make all kinds of different laptops, thousands of which are bloody awful. People will have an issue separating this from the actual Surface laptops which are bloody fantastic. Right now my company is directly making the switch from Apple to Microsoft.

The other problem is marketing, Apples marketing is godly. Apple is the company that successfully managed to market a $1,000 monitor stand and people are buying it. How many companies can make a monitor that costs thousands, and then have the balls to sell you the stand separately?

Microsoft is well loved within the tech community by and large, and their Surface range has come along massively by professionals, but again, Microsofts just don't have the marketing power that Apple does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

The surface range of devices are absolutely awesome - and I’m an apple fanboy.

I’ve used a surface laptop2 for the last while when I’ve needed to use windows devices and it is a fantastic laptop .. the Surface Studio is leagues ahead of the the iMac (in price too) ... I’m not a big fan of the surface pros mind you - I just don’t like the form factor.

I am using my iPad Pro 12.9 more than my MacBook Pro at the moment and I had a play around with a SurfacePro X recently and it really does stack up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I’ve been using a surface pro 3 almost 5 years and I wouldn’t buy again.

The pen I have rarely if ever used

I have tried to use it as a tablet but the windows 10 os imo just isn’t as user friendly or as fluid as a traditional tablet because you are still navigating windows rather than launching apps and yes I know there are apps in the Microsoft App Store but very few and some of the major ones are missing e.g. YouTube

Then there is the keyboard and kickstand which is a bit of a gimmick because if you need to work when travelling or at home, the kick stand is difficult to sit on your lap or even a small furnace and is unsteady. Add that to the flimsy detachable keyboard and it’s just not functional.

Finally, the screen size of 12” is too small imo for any serious work you need to get done. You’ll get tired of this form factor very quickly.

As someone who has used their SP3 in earnest every day for 5 years running full business applications including Microsoft products like excel extensively. The SP3 or Surface Pro model is not appropriate for real business users.

I’d agree about the SurdacePro .. however the Surface Laptop is a great machine and so is the surfaceBook

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    I’d agree about the SurdacePro .. however the Surface Laptop is a great machine and so is the surfaceBook

Good to look at and good spec. But if aesthetics is not your priority there are better options out there for better money.

Good to look at and good spec. But if aesthetics is not your priority there are better options out there for better money.

the SurfaceLaptop is also very good to use - battery life is great, keyboard and screen are excellent .... but as with all laptops you will find a better spec cheaper if you are willing to forgo some element of aesthetics like a aluminium chassis

But if saving money is your goal - Surfaces and Macs won't be for you

the SurfaceLaptop is also very good to use - battery life is great, keyboard and screen are excellent .... but as with all laptops you will find a better spec cheaper if you are willing to forgo some element of aesthetics like a aluminium chassis

But if saving money is your goal - Surfaces and Macs won't be for you

So basically I won the argument.

So basically I won the argument.

What argument ?

What argument ?

lol

• Advertisement

So let’s recap ... you said it’s a good laptop and looks nice but there are cheaper out there .. and I said the same thing ? And you won what?

So let’s recap ... you said it’s a good laptop and looks nice but there are cheaper out there .. and I said the same thing ? And you won what?

It's a joke. Stop.

Advertisement