Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get broadband due to no eircode

Options
  • 31-12-2019 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

We have recently purchased a new build and wont have our eir code till mid February
    We have tried virgin,sky,eir for any type of half decent broadband but wont touch us without an eircode
    Is there anybody in cork city who has managed to get broadband without an eircode
    Tried imagine and they are full for our area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

We recently had the same problem with our new build in Co Meath. I kicked up a fuss with Virgin Media as they were the only provider to our estate and they came out the next day and installed the wifi and tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Same situation in our new build, which was completed in the middle of the year. Our developer plans said the estate was SIRO and VirginMedia wired. I didn't realise that this meant very little in reality, esp for SIRO and Eir.

My first choice was SIRO. All of the SIRO providers said we would need to wait on an Eircode, but that it wouldn't be long after that issued. My "temporary" solution was to get a Vodafone 4G Broadband Wifi hub. This came with a one year contract, but on understanding that I could hand it back and switch over to SIRO contract with them when the Eircode was enabled.

However, I got the Eircode in September and I'm still waiting on the estate to be switched on by SIRO contractors. Just to point out to you that having the Eircode itself will not necessarily mean that providers will have the infrastructure in place to offer you a service.

As with lmarieloos, I found out that VirginMedia were the fastest to be up and running. If your new build is in an estate and if VM wiring is in place, they are probably your best shot. In our experience, a month after we moved in their website added our address (and we still didn't have an Eircode at that point). I'm currently in the delightful position of paying Vodafone for the mobile broadband (which I don't use) and VM broadband on a monthly contract.

In retrospect, I should have noticed that all the early movers into our estate were all with VM, but I wanted that SIRO fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

spent 1 hour on the phone to Sky and another hour on the phone with Eir and no luck ,Virgin is not available in my area ,Really at a loss at what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

oleard1987 wrote: »
    spent 1 hour on the phone to Sky and another hour on the phone with Eir and no luck ,Virgin is not available in my area ,Really at a loss at what to do

Go with a mobile dongle until you get your Eircode, then keep using it because Eir haven't updated the database (which Sky and Vodafone also use). There's very little joined up thinking with these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

oleard1987 wrote: »
    We have tried virgin,sky,eir for any type of half decent broadband but wont touch us without an eircode

Tried imagine and they are full for our area

A few other providers to try - Vodafone, Magnet.ie, Digiweb, Pure Telecom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

Saudades wrote: »
    A few other providers to try - Vodafone, Magnet.ie, Digiweb, Pure Telecom.

Tried all 4 and no luck with ether one ,All of them requested an eircode
    surely there must be some provider out there who can install broadband without an eircode

Advertisement