Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice query

Options
  • 29-12-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Please be gentle with me folks. I am a total amateur. I have a camera and usually use it on auto. The problem is I want to manually zoom in and manually focus. Using the auto setting does not allow me to do this, can you please advise me how I can do this please? When I press gently the click button it will zoom in on whatever it likes but not necessarily what I need.
    The camera I have is a HS10 Finepix.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I don't know the camera and am not really sure about what you're asking, but it sounds like the kind of thing that should be explained in the user manual. Probably simply a question of turning off various auto features. If you don't (still) have it, it's available online here. (pdf)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

enfield wrote: »
    Please be gentle with me folks. I am a total amateur. I have a camera and usually use it on auto. The problem is I want to manually zoom in and manually focus. Using the auto setting does not allow me to do this, can you please advise me how I can do this please? When I press gently the click button it will zoom in on whatever it likes but not necessarily what I need.
    The camera I have is a HS10 Finepix.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Let me check that I understand you. Essentially you are manually focussing but you are in automatic mode. So, when you click the shutter button, it then auto-focusses but not on the subject you want? Is that a fair assessment?

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of Finepix. What is sounds to me is that you are trying to do a manual thing in an an automatic setting. For example, if I was manually focussing on my DSLR, I would be in a manual setting. You can't really manually do something in Automatic because then the Automatic features will override your manual attempts. Hope that makes sense.

I hope this overview tutorial helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Thank you Celtic and Turquoise, very much appreciated.
    "Let me check that I understand you. Essentially you are manually focussing but you are in automatic mode. So, when you click the shutter button, it then auto-focusses but not on the subject you want? Is that a fair assessment?"

Yes basically its like if I point the camera at a tree, zoom in manually and want to focus on a branch four branches in through the other branches, how can I focus on it please?

Many thanks for your patience, I do understand it can be irritating when someone does not have any knowledge of the obvious ( I am looking to understand the obvious.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

OK OK OK I got it, use the focus ring, silly of me. The focus ring. I better write that down.
    Thank you again for the help, and the manual.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yes basically its like if I point the camera at a tree, zoom in manually and want to focus on a branch four branches in through the other branches, how can I focus on it please?

There's a dot in the centre of your viewfinder that represents the focus point. If you want to focus on the fourth branch in, you need to place the dot over that branch, half-press the shutter button (usually, may be slightly different in your camera, but that'll be in the manual) and, if necessary, while still holding the button half-pressed reframe the shot (only by moving the camera slightly left/right/up/down - not by changing the zoom). When you're happy with the composition, press the button the rest of the way to release the shutter.

You might have to tell the camera to specifically use this centre point - some cameras in auto mode will decide for themselves which point to use, often an element of the scene closer to the lens than what you're looking at. Again, it'll be in the book!

• Advertisement

Excellent, thank you CelticRambler, you are a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Thank you Celtic and Turquoise, very much appreciated.
    "Let me check that I understand you. Essentially you are manually focussing but you are in automatic mode. So, when you click the shutter button, it then auto-focusses but not on the subject you want? Is that a fair assessment?"

Many thanks for your patience, I do understand it can be irritating when someone does not have any knowledge of the obvious ( I am looking to understand the obvious.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

No worries at all. I appreciate that it's a new area for you. It's easy for someone with experience to forget what it's like to just becoming accustomed to a new thing. Sorry I was away from my computer and wasn't able to respond quickly but Celtic Rambler has you covered.

Happy snapping with the new camera!

Thank you Turquoise. It like getting new flicker, you don't read the instructions and just plow ahead anyway. Its a totally new toy for me and one I hope to enjoy for a long time yet, the best part being its a cheap hobby. I was inspired by a photo my brother in law took of myself long ago. I was in focus and the background was blurry. I tried to get that effect with the camera but have not succeeded yet but the journey will be interesting, a learning curve. I do some shows in Camden Fort Meagher in Cork and Camera enthusiasts love to be allowed access to the lower tunnels because the only light that is in them comes from vents above. One of these vents is like a 6 foot hole in the concrete ceiling and the only light that comes through is from the sun or the moon. If you photograph someone standing under it, even during the day it is like him being beamed up by some alien craft, fun fun fun.
    Tha nks again for all your patience and help.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well done for looking beyond the Auto defaults. A good start.

Long may the illusion of it being cheap continue for you!

Advertisement