Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Shutters ....?

Options
  • 29-12-2019 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Okay, Boards DIY Massive, here's one that's been floating around in the back of my mind for some time now. Internal Window Shutters.

About the 34.5 inch mark width of window. 7" deep? About four foot tall. Obviously, this will be 'folding' wood. They'll need to concertina back against that 7" reveal.

My question is as seemingly simple as it is ~ to me ~ scary: What hinges would I be looking at here. please? Both to hang them (Stone built walls) and, to hold the folds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

https://images.app.goo.gl/oYtVEs2zj3CyuPM17

Is this the sort of thing your liking at making Stigura?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Great idea with the shutters. I put solid internal ones on all my downstairs windows when I was renovating my house 10 years ago. I have very tall 3m windows and just 1m wide and so didn't do folding shutters as they would have looked very narrow and cluttered on them. I also didn't want to split the space into 3 and do the two one side and one on the other as they did in th'olden days as I preferred balance. I started by putting a narrow timber frame around the window into which I fitted the shutters.
    So that may not have answered your question :D but looking forward to seeing your finished results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Cletus; That's Exactly what I have in mind! Drooling material, that link! Wow!

Twignme; Love the inspiration of a wooden surround! How much easier to work off has That got to be?! Excellent!

Now, what's this about 'two one side and one on the other as they did in th'olden days.', please? Only; I got the whole idea of shutters by exploring rural derelictions. I found how the poshest of places had evidence of once shuttered windows.

As I've probably said before, on here; Having got myself an old, family farm cottage, I do everything that I do to it with a mind to what the people who built it would have done, had they money to burn.

I, of course, with all due respect, relatively have. By comparison. Thus, where they slapped up hardboard. I've ripped that away and replaced it with tongue and groove slats, with all the moulded trimming. So forth.

Window shutters then would not only be a great show of class: They'd also be deadly practical, by keeping the direct bloody sunlight off my eyes as I try to sleep in the morning! :p I must get them authentic though.

[QUOTE=Stigura;112115534

Now, what's this about 'two one side and one on the other as they did in th'olden days.', please? Only; I got the whole idea of shutters by exploring rural derelictions. I found how the poshest of places had evidence of once shuttered window

[/QUOTE]

If you had a very narrow window, it was difficult to fit four pieces across without them being very very narrow and difficult and costly with all the hinging and gaps etc. So what they used to do was to split the window into three widths rather than four and put two that folded one side and one single on the other. If you had pockets each side, it wasn't noticeable.

My house is circa 1890 and would have been very plain so these are my shutters ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd be interested in seeing some details of the frame you mounted them in, if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

God, they're lovely! :D There's just something about shutters, isn't there?

My window's 34". What does that tell me? Half of that's, what? 17". Two, 9" planks is 18" .....

Reveal is just a tad under 9". Christ! I wonder if, by sheer chance, it could be done? Two under 9" planks, either side. Hinged to fold flat against eachother and stand back flat against the reveal.

Maybe I could even use that frame to my advantage? Somehow work it that it takes up some of the width. While leaving as much reveal as possible. Thus facilitating the planks / shutters to fit most snugly within the reveal?

cletus wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing some details of the frame you mounted them in, if possible

I don't know if these show the frame very well, but can't get anything better. One reason I had to put a frame in is because my reveal is on an angle and needed the straight edge to attach the shutters to. The frame is around the two sides and the top which keeps the shutters stable when closed and also keeps them away from the window furniture. I was going to put some catches on the doors, but they stay perfectly closed without and I prefer without the unnecessary clutter.

Another couple ...

Stigura wrote: »

Maybe I could even use that frame to my advantage? Somehow work it that it takes up some of the width. While leaving as much reveal as possible. Thus facilitating the planks / shutters to fit most snugly within the reveal?

My shutters would have been just a tad too wide without the frame taking a little bit off the width. Sounds like you have the makings of a plan :D

Advertisement