Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2020

Options
  • 28-12-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

I was just looking back at the 2019 thread, and I thought now was the time to start a 2020 thread. As well as starting a new year, we're also entering a new decade.

What are your goals for 23.

Preface: 23, Male, Employed as a Software Engineer.

- Double income to 65k.
    - Create passive income streams (blogs, SASS websites).
    - Get fit. I made great strides in the later half of 2019. I lost 10lb and reached the 12ST bracket for the first time in 3 years. I wish to continue this by incorporating running to my current strength training program.
    - Prepare to buy a home in 2021. (By increasing my income).
    - Become more social, I have great friends, and see them often, but I'm often hesitant to go out. I always enjoy it when I do, but I usually prefer staying home.
    - Get up earlier - When I have work I'm up at 6:30. It's easy, I love work and I find it so easy to get up when I have something to do. At weekends I'm not up until 10, and it feels like a waste. I want to get up by 7:30/8 on my off days,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

All great goals antimatterx, and I wish you all the best with them, you can do this!

27, Male Public Servant

2020 goals.

Financial goals:
    - Have 30k between savings/investments by year end.
    - Try and establish some form of passive income.

Fitness goals:
    - loose 15 pounds then gain those 15 pounds back as more muscle and less fat.
    - Run a Sub 7 min mile (currently 10 min).
    - Run a Sub 30 min 5k (currently 40 min).
    - Run a 10k.

Education/Job goals:
    - Complete my H.Dip (June)
    - Make strides in programming as I want to move jobs from Public to Private.

They are my goals as it stands!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not mad keen on setting goals but....

I did manage to lose some weight last year and was going to the gym for a while. Might see if I can get back to that and if the staff might help me with a plan.

I'm in my early thirties and fancy a career change but have no idea what to. Going to try and work on that while considering my position in the UK. That's the main thing I want to do this year.

I'm actually setting time aside to read books and have been doing for the past few years. I'd very much like to keep that going. I've three weddings this year so I'll need to get my first suit sorted for those. Not sure how travelling will fit in with this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You're keeping it realistic, definitely the best way to go as the inevitable obstacles pops up.

Good luck with the career change, I understand that struggle, I fell into the Public Service as I had no idea what I wanted as a career.

Enjoy the weddings, I'm sure you'll.look dashing in the suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Only one, get back on the football pitch.

It was 2 years ago in November that I destroyed my knee (ACL, meniscus). Not a big issue these days you'd think. Well at 35 with a baby, house move and a few job changes you'd be surprised what little time I could find to focus on rehab. I've taken a good chunk out of the DIY jobs on the house so they can slip down the priority list. Work is really good so I can cut back a bit on the self study. The little one is that little bit older and takes less work. All in all, I have some time to put to use.

I was playing astro with a group of local aul lads there about 9 months ago and that was helping build strength/confidence but then something tweaked after a few weeks and set me back - felt like knee kept slipping out of place. My own fault for trying to run before walking so to speak.

Anyway, there's a rowing machine arriving in the morning and I'm getting off my arse and running the streets starting tonight. Thankfully, while I'm in the most unfit state I've ever been, I've not exactly piled on the weight (the memory of the old six pack lingers on!) so my starting point isn't too bad.

People might think that getting back on the pitch is a trivial thing but it's been a massive part of my life since I was a nipper. I've so many memories, both good and bad. I've made life long friendships. Even the whole emigration thing was made so much easier because I was able to do my bit on the pitch.

I'm 36 now so most likely wouldn't have long left in me anyway but I'll be damned if I'm not going out on my own terms.

Just think about how great it'll feel running circles around the Aul lads again!

Sorry to hear of your injury troubles and wish you the best with your recovery and your young family.

2020 is your year yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

My goal for 2020 is to try live more in the present moment which is the only time there is right now. Not 5 seconds ago and not 5 seconds later just right here and now. Too often I'm worrying about the past and what I've done as well as being too focused on the future wondering "what if". It's not an easy thing to do but there's a huge amount of information out there about living in the present moment. Alan Watts and Eckhart Tolle are 2 authors I've read and listened to recently for anyone interested.
    Here's hoping we all have a happy and healthy 2020!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Basically to not kill myself, try to find and hold down a minimm wage job and to lose 100lbs such is my reality as an Autistic man with hereditary mental illness.

I don't think I have much in common with men here, time to return to incels.co

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

27, Male Public Servant

Preface - 45, senior manager in large NGO

2020 goals.

Financial goals:
    - Have min 20k savings by year end.

Fitness goals:
    Lost weight this year, down to 11st
    - Get back to gym and increase muscle mass,
    - Get back to 5k running

Education/Job goals:
    - Set up a new CRM and GMS system by mid year
    - Working towards promotion for end Jan 2020
    - Establish new team March

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Basically to not kill myself, try to find and hold down a minimm wage job and to lose 100lbs such is my reality as an Autistic man with hereditary mental illness.

I don't think I have much in common with men here, time to return to incels.co

Take care of yourself my friend. Wishing you all the the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

39, Male, Senior Software Consultant with an Irish SME

Fitness Goals.
    - Continue with the Weight Loss. I lost 2 stone over the first half of 2019 and have held it off. Would like to drop the final stone or so of fat off the gut.
    - Get out and be active more - I'd like to get some semblance of cardiovascular fitness back again

Financial
    - Get my pension sorted
    - Continue to clear down debt
    - Get a rainy day fund together

Relationships
    - Manage to have one "date night" a month with the missus.
    - Make more effort to see my friends

Hobbies
    - Add one new dish a month to my cooking repertoire
    - Continue with the DIY on the house
    - Make something from scratch out of wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'll go simple....quit cigarettes

Fitness wise I go to the gym a good bit but I want to focus on getting some decent numbers up for squat/deadlift/bench etc.

Complete the masters I'm doing - I'm still not sure of doing the thesis or just taking the diploma and looking at a different certification that might hold me in better stead but either way, I'll be studying & progressing the career as has been the case the last year and a half.

Recently I made real something I before only joked about. I started a Jedi Academy. And the move I made to start it could literally have resulted in my death :/

It was a thing that I did to sort out some local "scum" kids - irredeemables as people started to call them after a certain election.

But the effect it has had - and the lives it has transformed in my small corner of the world - leads me to think that a goal for me for 2020 is to actively start a more public "Jedi Academy" around here. We have some people - we even have a curriculum. So it is a goal I think I can focus on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Male, 44, university lecturer.

Basically continue the recovery I have made and getting back on track with my life and career that I made huge strides in 2018 and 2019, after nearly a decade of very bad mental health, alcohol dependency and hospitalisation/rehab.

Continue my creative writing.
    Continue with my art - hopefully sell more pieces as a form of passive income.
    Re-start my pottery/ceramics activity - need to find a place where I can work out of.
    Repaint and a general revamp of my apartment.

Swimming - from twice to 3 or four times a week. I'm pretty fit at the moment, but put a bit of weight on over Christmas and want to get back to 12.5 stone.

Most important goal of all - staying sober. This is the critical one. If I don't have sobriety then not only will I not achieve any goals but I will lose the recovery I made over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Get through divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

47 - Public Servant

Get out of my current job at all costs, it's starting to play havoc with my mental health and ruining the rest of my life. Every day I spend at work is horrible, the job has been emptied of anything meaningful and it just seems I've been left the boring pointless sh1t to do.

Outside of work:

Sub 23 minute 5k (currenty PB is 24:15ish)
    Read more books, spend less time on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Male 25, Engineer

My main goals for the year are as follows

- I took up going to the gym middle of December it’s my first serious attempt at going and unexpectedly loving it have already toned up a noticeable amount and gained some muscle. So planning on continuing that for the year and hopefully it will mean it will make me the fittest I have ever been. I lost about 2 stone weight wise last year could do with losing another 1-2 stone this year to leave me in a really good place. The way things are going at the moment I feel that’s quite achievable.

- Starting to look at houses seriously now would like to luck at purchasing towards the end of the year. I have always been fairly good to save but need to drive it on this year and keep the focus on it and avoid unnecessary purchases.

- Work wise hoping for a pay rise and decent annual bonus in March once I get that I will be happy to stay in my current role for the year. Since graduating I have worked in a good few roles with the same company in order to progress so would be nice to spend the full year in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Get back to the gym
    Leave singledom behind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

theteal wrote: »
    Only one, get back on the football pitch.

It was 2 years ago in November that I destroyed my knee (ACL, meniscus). Not a big issue these days you'd think. Well at 35 with a baby, house move and a few job changes you'd be surprised what little time I could find to focus on rehab. I've taken a good chunk out of the DIY jobs on the house so they can slip down the priority list. Work is really good so I can cut back a bit on the self study. The little one is that little bit older and takes less work. All in all, I have some time to put to use.

I was playing astro with a group of local aul lads there about 9 months ago and that was helping build strength/confidence but then something tweaked after a few weeks and set me back - felt like knee kept slipping out of place. My own fault for trying to run before walking so to speak.

Anyway, there's a rowing machine arriving in the morning and I'm getting off my arse and running the streets starting tonight. Thankfully, while I'm in the most unfit state I've ever been, I've not exactly piled on the weight (the memory of the old six pack lingers on!) so my starting point isn't too bad.

People might think that getting back on the pitch is a trivial thing but it's been a massive part of my life since I was a nipper. I've so many memories, both good and bad. I've made life long friendships. Even the whole emigration thing was made so much easier because I was able to do my bit on the pitch.

I'm 36 now so most likely wouldn't have long left in me anyway but I'll be damned if I'm not going out on my own terms.

So the email just arrived from the FA, I'm officially registered with the local team for the season ahead. We're a few training sessions in and I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few aches and niggles BUT the knee feels solid, dare I say even strong. We've got a few friendlies lined up in the coming weeks and I cannot bloody wait!

How are the rest of ye getting on? I imagine the auld pandemic may have proved an obstacle in places.

theteal wrote: »
    So the email just arrived from the FA, I'm officially registered with the local team for the season ahead. We're a few training sessions in and I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few aches and niggles BUT the knee feels solid, dare I say even strong. We've got a few friendlies lined up in the coming weeks and I cannot bloody wait!

How are the rest of ye getting on? I imagine the auld pandemic may have proved an obstacle in places.

That's great to hear, well done. Enjoy the training and the matches!

- I've reached my financial goal of 30K in financial assets (Mostly thanks to
    the Pandemic as I was at home for the 3 months and saved nearly all my
    pay from that time, and I made profit on some shares.

- Technically, If you include dividends as passive income, I've reached that
    goal, however that is not exactly what I was thinking. I'm considering an e-
    book maybe, but getting it to sell is another ball game all together.

- My weight goals I have missed drastically; I was meant to loose 15 pounds
    then gain it back as as much muscle as possible, but I gained 10 pounds
    over lockdown instead. :o
    I've re-calibrated that goal; I'm aiming to loose 25 pounds over the rest of
    the year, 2 down so far. :p

- Running wise, I got the mile time down to 9ish, ran 5K in 34ish and ran 10k
    in 70ish. WIth the gyms back open I am lifting more than running, but I am
    mostly maintaining that level of fitness which I am happy with.

Still many months left of the year, we've got this!

Advertisement