Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do while waiting on a grinder

Options
  • 28-12-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I was given a DeLonghi Dedica EC685M pump machine for xmas, I know very little about proper coffee!

Well I've spent the last couple days learning about grinders and beans. Who knew you could spend €250 on a hand grinder :D

When I have the money or there's a decent sale I will eventually get a decent burr grinder (something like the Sage Pro or the Dedica Grinder) both look like ok options and I don't think there's any point in spending 50 on one of the cheaper burr grinders (DeLonghi or Krups) only for it to not produce very decent grinds for espresso, while many of the reviews complain about the things lasting a year and giving up, imprecision etc.

In the mean time what should I do to get the best coffee out of this thing (haven't turned it on yet :) ). Decent preground coffee? Buy a hand grinder? Throw in some pods?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The dedica uses pressurised baskets by default, which is great for starting out because you don't have to overly worry about the grind size and you can get drinkable shots (although people will argue it's not 'real' espresso).

Go into a local coffee shop and buy a bag of beans, they normally will grind them for you, just make sure to tell them it's for espresso.

There'll also be a smart grinder pro with very little use going up on adverts.ie soon, once I get around to cleaning it and taking photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Great OK thanks! I did not realize coffee shops really did that. I was going to try Bell Lane as they are fairly nearby (although am in Dublin on weekdays so lots of options there), don't know if I can just walk in and ask them to grind for me but will see.

On their website for preground coffee options was a little confusing. For grind types they have various filter options V60, Cafetiere, Aeropress, Moka Pot, Kalita Wave, Chemex. Is there really that much difference in grinding? What should I be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Great OK thanks! I did not realize coffee shops really did that. I was going to try Bell Lane as they are fairly nearby (although am in Dublin on weekdays so lots of options there), don't know if I can just walk in and ask them to grind for me but will see.

On their website for preground coffee options was a little confusing. For grind types they have various filter options V60, Cafetiere, Aeropress, Moka Pot, Kalita Wave, Chemex. Is there really that much difference in grinding? What should I be looking for?

Would recommend Bell Lane! Make sure it is ground for espresso (yes there is a difference - you need a finer grind for espresso compared to french press, filter etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

As were pointed above, you don’t need decent grinder for Dedica EC685M, any €50 burr grinder will do.
    Unless u’ll manage to get portafilter with non pressurised basket for this machine of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

alec76 wrote: »
    As were pointed above, you don’t need decent grinder for Dedica EC685M, any €50 burr grinder will do.
    Unless u’ll manage to get portafilter with non pressurised basket for this machine of course.

OK off googling pressurised vs non-pressurised now very interesting thanks! I didn't realise a pressurised basket produces a kind of 'fake' espresso. I've got a feeling I could end up moving on up eventually so I think it's worth getting a slightly better one but great to know right now it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement