Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

septic tank

Options
  • 27-12-2019 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

In the attached photo, should water come into the pretreatment tank through the orange pipe when taps are run or the toilet is flushed?

At the moment nothing is. I opened the drain cover a couple of meters before the tank and water is passing through there unobstructed. I pushed a drain rod in from both ends and seemed to meet something solid halfway between.

The pipes were moved during the construction of a patio that is not complete yet. There is a bit of a whiff nearby that has made me concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Generally the inflow for a treatment plant arrives below the level of the 'crust' layer at the top, that orange pipe looks a bit high for that. It might be, but in that case you're missing an adjoining pipe that T's down through the crust layer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Might it be an overflow pipe? It slopes slightly downwards away from the tank which would suggest it is intended for outflow rather than inflow.

I guess the simplest explanation is that the inflow pipe is where you describe. The drain pipe is running freely a metre or two away from the tank, and is lower down and more centrally positioned.

I might get someone to inspect it because of the whiff. How expensive are private domestic septic tank inspections?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

It's kinda hard to tell from your photo. Do you have any other details of the type of bio-cycle unit unit like a make or model. It might make figuring things out easier. Is there a control display unit for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

shane b wrote: »
    It's kinda hard to tell from your photo. Do you have any other details of the type of bio-cycle unit unit like a make or model. It might make figuring things out easier. Is there a control display unit for it?
    No none. Think the company that made it went out of business a while ago. Probably were based around Limerick if that gives any clue.

No display either.

Advertisement