Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Burner Wont Fire

Options
  • 27-12-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

So I just got the keys to my new house and I turned on the heating, no knowing there was very little oil, and it ran out. I got the refill, however, I now cant get it to start. I'm familiar with bleeding it but there is nothing coming out (air or oil). I just does the normal cycle to startup then goes back to lockout.

The only thing I could think was that the tank is quite a bit away from the boiler so I might take time for the oil to get all the way? I tried to reset about 20 times but nothing.

Any thoughts?
    Post edited by Wearb on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you actually bleeding or just hitting reset? The mention of no oil or air suggests properly bleeding but the rest doesnt

You need oil at the bleed valve before trying again. An online filter may have clogged with crud if you ran the tank dry

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Remove the bleed bolt altogether and see if oil comes out. If not, check to see if there is a valve on the tank that is closed. If its open, check to see if there is a filter on the line from the tank, probably close to the burner. Open and clean this if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Yes, am bleeding but need to hit reset to get it pumping

Will try the below suggestions, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

how much oil did you put in the tank

jimf wrote: »
    how much oil did you put in the tank

Only 300L , does that make a difference, less pressure?

• Advertisement

Robertr wrote: »
    Only 300L , does that make a difference, less pressure?

that should be more than enough

you sure its turned on at the tank

jimf wrote: »
    that should be more than enough

you sure its turned on at the tank

I'll have to double check now but pretty sure i saw it open today. It was running for a half day before and no one has been near it so don't know why it would be closed.

I don't doubt you its just incase the delivery guy turned it off

So, I pulled everything apart and it seems to be a blockage in the line somewhere? When I Disconnect the line at e boiler and open the valve it’s dry. I even removed the valve and still had nothing.

I tried to suck it through from the boiler side but was getting nowhere.

The filter is at the boiler so I removed and cleaned that too, was able to confirm that fuel is getting through it.

So now I a pipe with two open ends, no valves and still can’t blow air through it, even tried a foot pump and got nothing.

So, how do I clear a blockage in the line. It makes no sense as it was running before and the filter is before the line but there is nothing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

So now I a pipe with two open ends, no valves and still can’t blow air through it, even tried a foot pump and got nothing.

Is there a chance that the pipe might have become kinked in some way? If it runs underground, might a stone or something have been pushed down on the pipe, maybe by a vehicle driving over it?

• Advertisement

Nope, is underground (back garden lawn) with no vehicle access.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Any chance you could have a tripped fire valve on the line?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will have to suck it. It's air locked.

Only happened us, the tank had ran out as they had set the heating to come on as house was empty a few months.

Got a fill, still wouldn't come down the line. I had no choice at the time other then suck the air and kerosene down the line.

Obviously this isn't ideal as getting fuel on ones skin or mouth isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You will have to suck it. It's air locked.

Only happened us, the tank had ran out as they had set the heating to come on as house was empty a few months.

Got a fill, still wouldn't come down the line. I had no choice at the time other then suck the air and kerosene down the line.

Obviously this isn't ideal as getting fuel on ones skin or mouth isn't good.

I use a hoover with some clear tubing on to the line. Literally takes seconds to clear the air lock this way. Works every time for me.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I use a hoover with some clear tubing on to the line. Literally takes seconds to clear the air lock this way. Works every time for me.

Unfortunately I had just a spanner and nothing else. No vacuum or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Disconnect flexible oil supply pipe to boiler, blow down this pipe as hard as possible, then leave it disconnected until oil treacles out. Reconnect and it should fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinpeter

first off is there a tiger loop on the boiler? like a glass egg connected to the boiler? if you have a tiger loop the boiler wont need bled.

however if it needed bled, it would still fire and then cut out, so check the fuse on the fuse board, change the fuse, or maybe its just a trip?

were do you turn your oil on from inside the house? there may be a wire loose or disconnected in the switch, this should be checked if its not the fuse.
    but I think its definitely something electrical.

first off is there a tiger loop on the boiler? like a glass egg connected to the boiler? if you have a tiger loop the boiler wont need bled.

however if it needed bled, it would still fire and then cut out, so check the fuse on the fuse board, change the fuse, or maybe its just a trip?

were do you turn your oil on from inside the house? there may be a wire loose or disconnected in the switch, this should be checked if its not the fuse.
    but I think its definitely something electrical.

?

It's firing as in therebis electricity.

It's 99.9% air locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

Wearb wrote: »
    Any chance you could have a tripped fire valve on the line?

This should (if fitted) be close to the boiler and obviously opened, anti clockwise, with the valve spindle extended.

John.G wrote: »
    This should (if fitted) be close to the boiler and obviously opened, anti clockwise, with the valve spindle extended.

It also could be remote acting and may be burried with manhole access.

• Advertisement

Ok, this is very strange, the house I am still living in ran out of oil and am only getting delivery tomorrow. I decided to bring 20L over from the new house to get through the night and now I am having the same problem, no oil coming through the bleed valve after a bunch of resets.

Could they have given me the wrong fuel? Would that explain the pump not being able to pump it? I does seem very 'oily' if that makes sense

Ok, this is very strange, the house I am still living in ran out of oil and am only getting delivery tomorrow. I decided to bring 20L over from the new house to get through the night and now I am having the same problem, no oil coming through the bleed valve after a bunch of resets.

Could they have given me the wrong fuel? Would that explain the pump not being able to pump it? I does seem very 'oily' if that makes sense

20l is probably not enough oil

even if you got 300l of water it should still flow through

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Its, as the post above said, 99% airlocked. Use a vacuum as above or call a boiler service, they'll charge you around 50 to do it

Take the flexi pipe off, suck and suck and boom....

OK, so its not the oil. Got it working at home after a bit more resets and bleeds.

Still the mystery at the new house. I have tried sucking the oil, even used a hand pump but it was like pumping against a wall.

Dont know about anything that might be buried but no visible fire valve. I had the open pipe going into the ground and the other open pipe coming out in the boiler room and couldn't suck through it.

Have a guy coming in the morning so will see.

OK, so its not the oil. Got it working at home after a bit more resets and bleeds.

Still the mystery at the new house. I have tried sucking the oil, even used a hand pump but it was like pumping against a wall.

Dont know about anything that might be buried but no visible fire valve. I had the open pipe going into the ground and the other open pipe coming out in the boiler room and couldn't suck through it.

Have a guy coming in the morning so will see.

How much oil is in the one at the new house.....

Ok, so I am not mad. Seems the line need to be replaced, possibly a leak of some kind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

just to be 100% post a few pick of with either end and all the valves/connections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

ANy outcome???

In a spot of bother myself

• Advertisement

Make a new post with lots of detail and maybe a few pictures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement