Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Shower Power---How?

Options
  • 27-12-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Am sure some people have a similar problem with low shower power and dipping in pressure when someone goes to fill the kettle downstairs!!!
    My setup is the following...I have a T90 electric shower and I see from the plumbing in my attic that the supply is fed from the main supply coming up into the attic. ( added pressure from the main?) Not sure if it should be coming from the storage tank but anyway, that's the way its installed.
    I was looking at salamander pumps ( a bit big?) and shower booster pumps which can be fitted in line I see....
    I would assume that the max shower pressure is a function of how fast it can heat the water through it but if the pressure isn't there then there must be an extra pump that can be fitted somehow...
    Has anyone got any solutions in place for this that work....thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The triton t90 is a pumped electric shower and should be supplied by the attic tank and not the mains supply. I'd imagine there was a mains fed shower there originally and then someone not knowing what they were doing replaced it with a tank fed shower.

If you turn the bottom dial all the way to cold you will see that you don't have a pressure issue as it will put out around 10 litres of water per minute. The problem is that an electric shower can only heat 3 to 5 litres of water per minute, depending on the temperature of the water coming into the shower. This leaves you with about 3 litres of warm water per minute on a frosty morning and up to 5 litres on the hottest day of the year. This is the limitations of an electric shower.

If you want pressure then you will have to move away from the electric shower. You will need to heat up your water first in the hot water cylinder. Then you can pump it out as fast as you like. You will need to bring a hot supply, remove the electric s and fit a hot & cold mixing valve. This will have even less pressure than the electric shower so you will need to install a dedicated pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a pumped shower via water cylinder in the main bathroom. It is absolutely the business. It is the only bathroom in the house but as there are only two of us, suits fine.

Getting an en suite installed in Jan and don't know if I can or should go for the same set up. An electric shower sounds great and instant though.

Haven't a clue what's best/allowed/workable. But many houses have two or even three showers so it can be done, just don't know how! Not that I'll be installing it myself or anything, just kind of want to know a bit more.

Advertisement