Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SS Daytona Waiting List

• 25-12-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone here in Ireland been lucky enough to pick up a SS Daytona in recent years?

I’m sure many other people are on the 5 year waiting list, but keen to see if it is moving at all, particularly in Weirs?

What is even more frustrating is that Weirs just seem to have an old ledger book of names without any real list, or update on the list?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Don’t waste your time putting the name down.

If you commit to buy a PM Daytona or complicated patek the same day for RRP your chances may improve.

My advise is to move on. There are so many more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Bought my Daytona in Switzerland. I was there anyway on business but had the deal done through email beforehand - this was 2007.
    Got a much better deal and got a few percent extra off on the day.
    He told me if I ever wanted a SS Daytona he could get me one quickly. PM if you want to know the dealer’s name.
    893bet wrote: »
    Don’t waste your time putting the name down.

If you commit to buy a PM Daytona or complicated patek the same day for RRP your chances may improve.

My advise is to move on. There are so many more options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

SS Daytonas are still crazy and still gaining. There is no point putting your name on a list. Go in to a AD and buy another watch, one that depreciates like a PM Rolex, a datjust, a. Then suggest you would like a daytona. Even at that could be a long long time. If you rock in, and just ask for a waiting list slot they will say yes and do nothing...in their view what have you done to deserve that watch over a proven customer. To be given a SS daytona by a deal at RRP is currently the same as the AD handing you 5 or 6 grand in cash for nothing.

Personally I would look into the second hand precious metal daytonas, good value there. Sure even non ceramic SS ones are asking 17k on adverts. Daytona market is dysfunctional to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought my Daytona in Switzerland. I was there anyway on business but had the deal done through email beforehand - this was 2007.
    Got a much better deal and got a few percent extra off on the day.
    He told me if I ever wanted a SS Daytona he could get me one quickly. PM if you want to know the dealer’s name.

Prob best PM the OP.

2007 landscape very different to the 2019.

The fact that you got a discount vs ceramic Daytona’s being sold for 2.5 x their RRP on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks all.

I already bought a SS GMT Master II from them 2 years ago, so have a small history with them, albeit probably not to warrant a SS Daytona anytime soon.

I just find the big ledger a bit silly... surely they would use some form of a computerised system, even an excel sheet :-)

@Galvo - thank you for the offer, it’s very kind... PM sent :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Go in to a AD and buy another watch, one that depreciates like a PM Rolex, a datjust, a. Then suggest you would like a daytona.

hook line and sinker.
    I don’t think this is the first time you posted about building a relationship with an AD. I think your last post was worse. Bragging about buying so much that you were then chosen to purchase the watch you wanted. As if been known by some jumped up puff salesman is something to be proud of. Apologies if that wasn’t you.
    I’m squirming at the thought of going through the motions of buying my way onto a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

shutup wrote: »
    I’m squirming at the thought of going through the motions of buying my way onto a list.

Isn't this the only way to get considered for any SS Rolex from an AD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

oxocube wrote: »
    Isn't this the only way to get considered for any SS Rolex from an AD?
    Maybe so. Point is it’s pathetic to jump through hoops and buy other watches to get on the list.
    I was actually a bit aggressive above and I hate to do that but it’s something that annoys me.
    Paying somebody so they might consider you worthy of buying something else. Does that not ring alarm bells with anyone else?
    I just couldn’t enjoy the end product if I have to go through that system to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

shutup wrote: »
    hook line and sinker.
    I don’t think this is the first time you posted about building a relationship with an AD. I think your last post was worse. Bragging about buying so much that you were then chosen to purchase the watch you wanted. As if been known by some jumped up salesman is something to be proud of. Apologies if that wasn’t you.

That is oddly aggressive there chum. I think the entire waiting list thing sucks balls, I am on a waiting list for a watch but I assume it will never come. I tend to buy second hand except occasionally when something tickles my fancy. Having a nodding relationship with another human being is not a bad thing, however I would not be bringing them presents or dressing in a suit to impress them.

I dont like it, but you have to be a good customer or forget about these in demand watches off an AD in Ireland. Being a good customer means you are nice, personable, buy stuff from them and when they call with a watch you buy it. You might see it as buying your way onto a list, but I see it as buying a beautiful watch which wont loose much money, which you want it, and leveraging the fact you are not a prick during the transaction to get another.

Or simply buy them grey market, or dont buy them at all. The Daytona is an extreme example here, or something like a 5711 Patek. This is the game...play it or do not, its just man jewelry at the end of the day. I was on a daytona list for over 4 years without a sniff so I pissed off and bought one elsewhere, them the breaks. There is no shortage of any watch you want, its the cheap brand new ones from AD's that are in short supply.

Advertisement