Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drawing a line on a project

• 24-12-2019 8:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering at what stage would you guys call a halt to a project ?
    I bought an A500 a few months back . since then I've been tipping away at it.

So far I am this far into it :

A new PSU, new 500Kb RAM expansion and a gotek.
    The Gotek I can bring with me to another project, the PSU will do me for when (if) I find a reasonably priced A1200.
    Tonight I've worked out it's also got a faulty keyboard. Ebay says keyboards can be up to £100

The Amiga only cost me 45 euro to start with.

Half thinking of either : A) finding another A500 or B) scrap the A500 and wait to get a 1200 or C) buy a keyboard.

This isnt my own original Amiga, so no sentimental value.

At what point would you call a halt before this turns into Triggers broom ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Personally I'd sell up and try get a 1200, which you can then upgrade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Ordinarily I'd agree, but the 1200 is looking at around €400.
    And it was built with lower quality capacitors, which I'll have to look into replacing at some stage.

The 1200 seems to have kept its value as it was the better model and the one that all the boys wanted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I'd say go with the 1200 as well. It will play pretty much everything plus you can run a nice internal drive.

Are you on this forum. Prices should be better than ebay/adverts

http://www.amibay.com/forum.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

All these retro hobbies can be expensive, as long as it keeps you busy and you enjoy it. Dont let money take that away from you. Maybe Santa is bringing an a1200 right now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

horgan_p wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but the 1200 is looking at around €400.
    And it was built with lower quality capacitors, which I'll have to look into replacing at some stage.

The 1200 seems to have kept its value as it was the better model and the one that all the boys wanted.....

If you're into Amiga, I feel the 1200 is where it's at. When it's upgraded with extra ram, and a compact flash adaptor/cf storage/wdload etc, it really is a different beast altogether, and on another level to any other Mig. Re the capacitors, just order a kit, it's a fairly straight forward kit to install, and will do you then for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sounds like you got the A500 at a good price so its not like you broke the bank on it so maybe now is a good time to step away for it.

Really all depends on what you want the Amiga for ? Do you actually want an Amiga or would you be happy enough with the likes of a Mister FPGA board ? About 200 would get you a fully kitted out (HDMI) version that'll handle all the Amiga software you can throw at it.

400 to much for a 1200, unless its got some decent accelerator upgrades fitted. Or a mint in box living on a shelf collectors item.

Don't underestimate an upgraded A600 either unless you absolutely want to play AGA stuff..

There is an Amiga Ireland facebook group and will be an Amiga gathering in Athlone in January, might be worth checking out for a reasonable priced A1200 and advise on repairing your A500.

Really all depends on what you want the Amiga for ? Do you actually want an Amiga or would you be happy enough with the likes of a Mister FPGA board ? About 200 would get you a fully kitted out (HDMI) version that'll handle all the Amiga software you can throw at it.

There is an Amiga Ireland facebook group and will be an Amiga gathering in Athlone in January, might be worth checking out for a reasonable priced A1200 and advise on repairing your A500.

yeah , I'm planning on heading to Athlone alright (mad place to hold it).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

yeah , usually a fair bit if cuatom amiga kit being sold there..
    I'm thinking if going again this year , I'm more of a C64 guy myself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Thinking of bringing my C128 this year and getting Dave Haynie to sign it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think I've a spare A500 in the attic.

It has been through a few career changes but the keyboard should be ok

If you want it to get your one working again you are welcome to it.

• Advertisement

PM sent......

Advertisement