Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions after draining F+E central heating system

Options
  • 23-12-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I drained my central heating system this morning and have some questions. The house is a bungalow with 9 rads fed from F+E tank.

I ran the heating for a few minutes, then turned it off. The draining valve is located at ground level in the hot press. I placed a hose on that to outside. I then opened the valve and got a good steady flow out through the hose. My F+E tank stopcock started to refill also.

However, I noticed that the water exiting the hose was crystal clear and stone cold. When I went around to the rads to see if they were going cold, they were all hot. I opened the bleed valve on one rad expecting air to hiss inwards, but no, infact I was met with hot water pouring out.

So could it be that I just ended up draining some direct route from the F+E tank to the draining valve? I'm pretty sure the rads did not drain at all. They stayed hot and bled water when I opened the bleeding valve on them.

Did I do something wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Tie up the F&E ballcock and try again, on the very few occasions that I have drained mine, I do it through the boiler drain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Could you system be drop fed (i.e. you pipes to the rads are in ceiling rather than the floor) usual telltale is the pipe to your rad exits the wall rather than the floor.

If so, you have only partially drained your circuit (doing as John suggests above) and if you want to totally drain your system you'll have to open a joint at each rad in turn and drain into a tray

Advertisement