Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Oak Door

Options
  • 23-12-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭

I've got to fix a hole in an interior door. The door light oak.
    When drilling a hole in it, the veneer on the opposite side splintered and has left a rough edge. I've also some holes to fill when a stopper gets relocated.

What is the best product for this? Obviously I should only need a small sized product for this. Can this be applied without having to re-varnish the door?

Any hints and tips for applying would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks.

Door looks like:

victorian_4_panel_solid_oak_door.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Neutral would be too light in color, it's better to go slightly darker when filling a hole as your eye won't be drawn to it as easily. You can get Crayon sticks for filling holes in timber and it's easier to blend the colors to get a good match, kids crayons could be used either. Can you put up a picture of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Is it a solid wood or veneer core door ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The best wood filler you use is the dust from oak mixed with basefill. Basefill is a solvent that you mix wood dust with to make your own filler. There is no better match for colour than using oak dust. The problem you have is you can get the basefill but cannot sand the door. Ask a joinery company or a floor sanding company for a handful of fine oak dust maybe.https://www.junckers.ie/woodcare/varekort/basefill

recipio wrote: »
    Is it a solid wood or veneer core door ?

Veneer

• Advertisement

Can you put up a picture of the hole.

See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Neutral or light ronseal filler, most people won't take any notice then. I have bought pine furniture which on closer inspection had plenty of filler applied, took a while before I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would get a neutral coloured filler and let it set in the hole. Then get some oil paints in various shades of brown and use a fine artists brush to blend it in with the door. Make sure you get a filler that can be painted - it will say on the label.

Advertisement