Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any permanent ice rinks in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-12-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

As per the topic, I find it immensely saddening if there is not :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dundonnell near Belfast is the main one that springs to mind.

Yep, Belfast is the only permanent one .

It'd be a shrewd investment for whoever opened one because the ice rinks do be rammed at Christmas and there are plenty of people with interest throughout the year. Irish ice hockey teams train on roller blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Back when I was a chiseler, there used to be one in Dolphins Barn, I never had the pleasure though.
    I remember a friend of a friend was was playing hockey for Ireland up at a rink in Drogheda/Dundalk - I assume that place is gone now too.

A bit sad if there's nothing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

It'd be a shrewd investment for whoever opened one because the ice rinks do be rammed at Christmas and there are plenty of people with interest throughout the year. Irish ice hockey teams train on roller blades.

I imagine its a insurance nightmare. Used to work beside the one in Phibsboro when that was there (20 years ago). It would be a rare day you wouldn't see at least 1 ambulance outside.

• Advertisement

I imagine its a insurance nightmare. Used to work beside the one in Phibsboro when that was there (20 years ago). It would be a rare day you wouldn't see at least 1 ambulance outside.

That's a fair point!

Hadn't considered the insurance element.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I used to go to the Phibsboro one! Great option for teenagers for something to do in the afternoons. I remember people used to skate and hang out watching skating.
    It wasn't a big winter experience with hot chocolate and woolly hats like it is now. It was just a place to play like any sport club with an element of showing off!
    It's a shame insurance has to ruin it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Afaik, there was plans to re-open Dundalk ice dome for this Xmas, but I guess they fell through.

If I had the money, I’d open a full competitive rink, somewhere for the Irish team to practice & play, somewhere games could be held.

I’d also have it useable as a 5,000 seater auditorium. There’s a gap for that size in the concert market.

Then open for public use at other times & Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when I was a kid there were rinks in Dolphin's Barn and Phibsboro. Used to be popular for school tours, summer camps etc. I'd imagine they're very expensive to run though (particularly now with insurance costs so high).

Advertisement