Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Understanding driver's licence in Ireland..

• 22-12-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I was earlier in UAE and had been driving for nearly a decade, things are different here so I had some clarifications.

1. Is the Rules Of The Road PDF sufficient to pass the Theory Test.

2. Am I correct in understanding that I have to take with me a vehicle to the driving test facility to have myself tested for driving, if yes, the car is borrow-able from the school I have been learning with.

3. In UAE if one has a manual driving license he is eligible to drive an automatic vehicle without needing licensing authority's approval, is it the same here ?

4. I'm reading a full driving license in some places, is it a driver capable to drive both manual and automatic vehicles. If this is true which driving license do I have to apply for manual or automatic ?

I believe that is all.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

huud wrote: »
    Hi,

I was earlier in UAE and had been driving for nearly a decade, things are different here so I had some clarifications.

1. Is the Rules Of The Road PDF sufficient to pass the Theory Test.
    There's a theory test CD. You get to practice with questions that have been used in the real test.

https://www.easons.com/driver-theory-test-fs-cd-cars-motorcylces-work-vehi-prometric-ireland-ltd-9781999720292?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxfzvBRCZARIsAGA7YMy7dI8E0Xuf9eR9S4K2sNum7j5Q9c-ZGAQk-DyHsbJh3-6gzlrfLu8aAnVEEALw_wcB
    2. Am I correct in understanding that I have to take with me a vehicle to the driving test facility to have myself tested for driving, if yes, the car is borrow-able from the school I have been learning with.
    Yes you can borrow a car from your instructor for the test. Most likely at a cost.
    3. In UAE if one has a manual driving license he is eligible to drive an automatic vehicle without needing licensing authority's approval, is it the same here ?
    Yes. If you pass your test in a manual car you can drive an automatic. If you pass it in an automatic then all you're licensed to drive is automatic.
    4. I'm reading a full driving license in some places, is it a driver capable to drive both manual and automatic vehicles. If this is true which driving license do I have to apply for manual or automatic ?

I believe that is all.

Thank You

You will have the option to choose when applying for your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

There's a theory test CD. You get to practice with questions that have been used in the real test

Thanks, I was aware of the CD, I wanted to know if it possible to pass just by being thorough with the Rules Of The Road PDF book.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks, I was aware of the CD, I wanted to know if it possible to pass just by being thorough with the Rules Of The Road PDF book.

There is also the app online. You pay less then the cd.

The book would want to be fully up to date as they're constantly changing...

The theory test is actually quite hard as they throw in quite a few trick questions too.

Once you have that you can book an appointment or walk in to a ndls centre once you have proof of address, PPS, photo ID and they take a digital photo there.

Once you have learner permit them you must complete 12 lessons and can't sit a test untill after 6 months of learner permit held.

Once the car is insured, taxed and NCT and everything working and legal you can do the test....

There is also the app online. You pay less then the cd.

The book would want to be fully up to date as they're constantly changing...

The theory test is actually quite hard as they throw in quite a few trick questions too.

Once you have that you can book an appointment or walk in to a ndls centre once you have proof of address, PPS, photo ID and they take a digital photo there.

Once you have learner permit them you must complete 12 lessons and can't sit a test untill after 6 months of learner permit held.

Once the car is insured, taxed and NCT and everything working and legal you can do the test....

Thanks for mentioning the App, very much appreciate the details. I believe that clarifies everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for mentioning the App, very much appreciate the details. I believe that clarifies everything.

Forgot to add make sure it's the genuine from prometric.

You will see it on RSA site or in play store.

There are loads of others that won't have the full amount of questions asked....

Best of luck.

Happy Christmas.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just wanted to understanding something about the 6-month rule [ https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/ ]

I need to have taken 12 EDT classes, which makes it 2 classes per month, or can I start taking classes once 3 of the 6 months period have passed or how is it ?!

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

You can take the 12 lessons in any order you wish depending on the availability of your instructor e.g. 2-3 a week, 1 every day, 12 in a month etc. Though it is recommended you space them out evenly to have other time to practice what you learn. The main requisite is that you have the learners permit 6 months and have the 12 EDT done - it doesn't matter how you have them done.

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    You can take the 12 lessons in any order you wish depending on the availability of your instructor e.g. 2-3 a week, 1 every day, 12 in a month etc. Though it is recommended you space them out evenly to have other time to practice what you learn. The main requisite is that you have the learners permit 6 months and have the 12 EDT done - it doesn't matter how you have them done.

Thanks Ronanc1, when you say practise what I learn, do you mean by additional classes with the instructor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Yes it can be - many people do more than just the 12 EDT lessons to help boost confidence etc. Some people practice with family members or friends also. You can driver using your learners permit as long as you have a fully licensed driver in the car with you (though they can't be fully licensed "N" driver it has to be at least 2 years post that). Many people take "pre-tests" also when they've completed the 12 EDT lessons and are near to or have booked the full license test. Pre-tests are like mock full license tests where the instructor will point out issues with your driving that will cause you to lose marks in the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Yes. If you pass your test in a manual car you can drive an automatic. If you pass it in an automatic then all you're licensed to drive is automatic.

You will have the option to choose when applying for your test.
    It goes on the vehicle you pass the test in - not when applying for the test.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Ronanc1,

Understood.

I have a foreign driving license and have 10 years driving experience on a Left Hand Drive (Ireland is Right Hand Drive), can I know which school is a reliable one to learn from.

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Usually there are a number of routes - roads and junctions used - by the tester for each town. So it depends on where you are to be tested. Find out where they are, maybe map them on Google maps, and practice on all of those routes. The driving instructor will know where they are. It will be good to be familiar with the route on the day you do the test.

Hi,

I applied for the learner's permit and received the receipt for the payment but no other email has been received. The message before submission stated I'll receive an email with address where to send my ID documents within 10 days but no email has come through.

I had submitted my application yesterday (Sunday) so can I expect an email today ?

Thank You

Advertisement