Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on timber gate

Options
  • 22-12-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace the screws on my timber gate, the existing tek screws are rusting so I want to replace these with stainless steel.

Is there a better way to fit the screws than bedding them in the timber as they were originally done? see photos below.

If I use a washer, then I'm left with ugly screw heads visible so hoping to avoid that.

Thanks ! :)

2019-12-22-15-51-59.jpg

2019-12-22-15-52-11.jpg

2019-12-22-15-52-19.jpg

2019-12-22-15-53-45.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wurth do a stainless steel decking screw, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You could maybe make the holes disappear easily enough if you wanted. Buy a bit of wooden dowel 8mm or something like than then drill the hole a bit bigger with 8mm wood bit a few mm down. Fit the new screws then stick a piece of dowel in after the screws. Cut flush then sand it smooth and apply your stain over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Wood plugs made from the same wood ( looks like iroko ) , covering the screws are by far the best.However you need a plug cutter in a drill press to make them. You also need to insert temporary dowels in the holes to drill out new holes. If you are stuck give me a PM and I'll send some on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Thanks folks for your suggestions, I'm going to tackle the job in the spring during a dry spell, I noticed the gate metal frame needs painting so will do it all in the one go when the weather is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

buzz11 wrote: »
    Thanks folks for your suggestions, I'm going to tackle the job in the spring during a dry spell, I noticed the gate metal frame needs painting so will do it all in the one go when the weather is better

Just noticed that the screws are going into the metal bar. You will need to find a self tapping screw in stainless steel. ?

Advertisement