Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever Happened to Brendan Whelan (Traditional Irish Music Presenter)?

Options
  • 22-12-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭

Before I get to the main topic, this is coming from an "anorak" point of view and is out of curiosity! I have no particular interest in the pure form of Irish traditional music. I like the Chieftains and certain other acts that did innovative things with that genre (Clannad for example), but they were different. I was not into the "purist" form of this music. Now, getting back to the main topic!....

I first became aware of Brendan Whelan in the late 1980s. He presented a program on Sunday mornings on Dublin pirate Treble TR. This was a largely Country and Western music station, but it had a few variations such as Brendan's Irish trad music selection. My Dad enjoyed the music and I enjoyed Brendan getting time checks mixed up!

Brendan Whelan then turned up in the early 1990s on the then licensed station for the north Wicklow area: Horizon Radio. He basically was doing the same thing on Sunday mornings.

I'm not sure when Brendan left Horizon Radio, but he was no longer involved when the two Wicklow stations merged during 1991 to form East Coast Radio. The next thing I heard him on was the Dun Laoghaire-based pirate DLR/Hits 106. It was the same Sunday morning arrangement. He was gone from there by the late 1990s, if not earlier.

So, does anyone know what happened to Brendan Whelan? Was he involved with any other radio stations?

Comments

Advertisement