Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould ceiling in shower Room that has flat roof

Options
  • 21-12-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All
    We have mould continuously on the shower ceiling , the shower room has a flat roof there is a fan and window
    The problem doesn't go away . Has anyone ever experienced this and if so how did you solve it.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Does the fan work and if it does where is it venting too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I used to live in a place with a terrible extension - the bathroom had 3 exterior walls, a flat roof, and a concrete floor. A hot radiator and open window didnt make a difference, condensation went everywhere.

The solution for me was mould spray with bleach whenever mould appeared, and to scrape loose paint and apply a coat of fresh paint every year. That's all that worked for me and it did keep the place looking right although hardly convenient in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Willie John

The fan is working and is vented and a long pipe going up to the flat roof, after showing we open the window

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would reccomend repainting with at least 2 coats of a proper bathroom paint. This should help once instructions are followed and its clean and dry before applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When showering is the fan running?
    Is their enough of a gap under the door, or a permanent vent or open window vents to allow the fan to pull the air out of the room.
    If the room is well sealed with practically no way for sufficient air to enter the room while showering you are rendering any decent fan as useless.
    Treat the mould and ensure there is decent air circulation for the fan to do its job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Could be that there’s not enough insulation in your ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Paints , sprays wipes all crap. Their only job is cleaning up mould after its there. Theyll do as much to prevent mould growth as getting on a ladder and wipping your own arse off the ceiling daily.

The problem here is the ceiling is colder than any surrounding areas. Because of that warm water hits it immediately condenses and forms damp spots thus promoting mould growth.

There is no magic bullet here you have two options.

Vent better removing the warm wet air when showering and for a period after shower is off.

Remove the cold roof. Insulation, preventing the warm water condensing.

None of this is rocket science don't read any voodoo about paints and sprays. It'll be back next month and the month after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Hi All
    We have mould continuously on the shower ceiling , the shower room has a flat roof there is a fan and window
    The problem doesn't go away . Has anyone ever experienced this and if so how did you solve it.

Thank you

I had this problem and a cheap easy fix was a roll of self adhesive vinyl.
    The ceiling is waterproof and mould free and fixed for less the 5euro

listermint wrote: »
    Paints , sprays wipes all crap. Their only job is cleaning up mould after its there. Theyll do as much to prevent mould growth as getting on a ladder and wipping your own arse off the ceiling daily.

The problem here is the ceiling is colder than any surrounding areas. Because of that warm water hits it immediately condenses and forms damp spots thus promoting mould growth.

Vent better removing the warm wet air when showering and for a period after shower is off.

None of this is rocket science don't read any voodoo about paints and sprays. It'll be back next month and the month after that.

Would have to thoroughly disagree on the paints. Have applied dedicated bathroom paints in a few situations now and once applied right can make a big difference.

I do agree with you that tackling the cause is the way to go about it ideally , but in some scenarios due to funds or a landlord who doesn't want to know it paints can make a big improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would have to thoroughly disagree on the paints. Have applied dedicated bathroom paints in a few situations now and once applied right can make a big difference.

I do agree with you that tackling the cause is the way to go about it ideally , but in some scenarios due to funds or a landlord who doesn't want to know it paints can make a big improvement.

They 100% don't work. Your covering up a mess for a short period.

The paint isn't going to make the surface any less colder and it isn't going to make the ventilation any less good. Recommending them as a fix is poor advice. At best they are a clean up as I said. They serve a purpose . Cure is not it

The paint isn't going to make the surface any less colder and it isn't going to make the ventilation any less good. Recommending them as a fix is poor advice. At best they are a clean up as I said. They serve a purpose . Cure is not it

I have applied them in both internal en-suites in my own home and family members with flat roof poor insulation and several years later they are still perfect. So personal experience would tell me they do work, when utilised in the appropriate scenario and applied correctly.

The paint acts as a moisture barrier not allowing the surface to absorb the condensation, once the room is ventilated and heated the condensation on the surface will clear fairly quickly as its surface only. There is also anti fungal properties in the paint. When the slab and standard paints are absorbing moisture it gives the mould something to grow on.

Not everyone is in a position to tear down the ceiling and reslab with insulated plasterboards or install new venting and ducting.

Every product has its place and correct usage. It all comes down to the scenario the product is being utilsed. You have stated your opinion i have stated my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

They do. The paint I linked to is excellent for this very issue. I have used it several times for this exact problem. I can’t believe that since application in all cases, the tenants have miraculously started opening windows and turning on fans etc. and in all cases, the ceilings are perfect. One in particular I was looking at last week. After 3yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

[QUOTE=listermint;112077910]Paints , sprays wipes all crap. Their only job is cleaning up mould after its there. Theyll do as much to prevent mould growth as getting on a ladder and wipping your own arse off the ceiling daily.

None of this is rocket science don't read any voodoo about paints and sprays. It'll be back next month and the month after that.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, simple white vinegar not only removes mould but prevents it growing again.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I don't know how helpful this will be but we got a Shower Dome for our shower. Our ensuite has no window, only a fan and we kept getting mould. Since getting the Dome we haven't had any new mould.

It's essentially a lid for the shower. I have no affiliation to this company. We picked it as we didn't have room in the roof for a velux window and it was the cheaper option than putting a window in the small flat wall we have. (it's an oddly shaped ensuite! )

Advertisement