Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak above door

Options
  • 21-12-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I have a large aluclad sliding door, which I fitted about 4 years ago when doing an extension and I noticed a leak between the wall and the top of the door.
    Not sure what caused this. I assume it would be an issue with the door installation?, I didnt get the builder to supply it. Would there be a seal on top of the door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Often this is due to a bad DPC detail above the door. In what type of wall is it installed and was it put in an existing ope or did you make a new opening for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Often this is due to a bad DPC detail above the door. In what type of wall is it installed and was it put in an existing ope or did you make a new opening for it?

It was a new opening, made by the builder. It also had a steel beam across it as the opening was about 4.5m. Would that be the builder then you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Is the door fitted in the opened up existing structure or is it part of the new extension. ?

Is the door fitted in the opened up existing structure or is it part of the new extension. ?

It's in the extension, which has a flat roof. So there is no tiles/gutter over the wall where the door is. It's essentially a capped wall, if that makes sense.

If you can take pics from an upstairs window or know the roof detail will get experienced replies.

What is your flat roof finish. Is it fibreglass, rubber or felt?

Is the wall above the door a concrete capping or is there a metal flashing giving a seamless look??

Is there a rainwater drain/ skylight near the wall??

• Advertisement

If you can take pics from an upstairs window or know the roof detail will get experienced replies.

What is your flat roof finish. Is it fibreglass, rubber or felt?

Is the wall above the door a concrete capping or is there a metal flashing giving a seamless look??

Is there a rainwater drain/ skylight near the wall??

Thanks. It's fiberglass and it's concrete capping, the leak only appears to be in one section above the door also, near the middle.

Thanks it's fiber glass with concrete capping. Leak only appears to be in the middle in a small patch, there is just a stain there it's not even wet, but there has obviously been a small amount of water coming in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Yb8sX4njF2z74vU9

Without knowing how the cavity was closed ,or what tray or dpc detail is above the door I'm going with a guess.

The mortar between the caps looks poor and has moss, above the door and one in particular looks like it has cracked render exactly under it, this is seeping down on the the steel lintel and water will always find a way to the ground.

Without knowing how the cavity was closed ,or what tray or dpc detail is above the door I'm going with a guess.

The mortar between the caps looks poor and has moss, above the door and one in particular looks like it has cracked render exactly under it, this is seeping down on the the steel lintel and water will always find a way to the ground.

Sorry forgot to reply to you. Had a closer look today and your right the mortar is like wet sand, so is in poor condition. Also the slabs can be lifted. So I assume it was poorly installed.

Advertisement