Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler that only heats water.

Options
  • 20-12-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was wondering if anyone has or has heard of a back boiler that only heats water not radiators? I moved into a house that has what looks like a back boiler but when I put it on it over heats the boiler that runs the central heating with oil. When I asked about it, I was told it was only for heating water. Trouble is, in the winter I like a fire on in the sitting room, but when I put it on I can't have the oil fired central heating on too. Is there any way around this? Does anyone know if there is a way to make the heated water overflow into the radiators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If the back boiler on the fire heats the water in the central heating system why would you want the oil fired boiler running too? The boiler thermostat will probably be open when the central heating system is brought up to temperature by the back boiler so even if switched on the oil boiler won't fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 L4yercak3

I bought a house and had a back boiler like this.. But it did not impact on central heating system...
    . When I put a new grant boiler in the plumber cut the back boiler from the system..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Merriecrimbo

It heats the water in the tank, and when the pressure builds it impacts the central heating boiler, whether it is on or not. The thermostat for the central heating seems to trigger on how hot the water is. I can only tell you what I see. I am far from an expert on any of this stuff. If the heating is on, and then I put on a fire, the boiler for the heating overheats. The fire only heats one room. The central heating heats the whole house. I am disabled and need the house warm, so if I put a fire on (for effect mostly), then the house has to cool down because I have to put the oil heating off.

I'd love if they took my back boiler out too.

If the back boiler on the fire heats the water in the central heating system why would you want the oil fired boiler running too? The boiler thermostat will probably be open when the central heating system is brought up to temperature by the back boiler so even if switched on the oil boiler won't fire.

It doesn't heat the central heating system, only a tank of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement