Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90sr... no water (few months old)

Options
  • 20-12-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

A plumber sourced and installed this model for us earlier this year, water pressure in apartment was lousy so he hooked it up to the mains with a pressure reducing valve on the mains supply. Three months ago the shower stopped working (has electricity, no fuse issue externally anyway) just no water comes from it!

Have been waiting on the installer to come back out for three months now... lots of promises... never arrives... now not answering messages.

Not expecting a free fix, just pissed off and fed up with baths at this stage. Any suggestions?

Not trying to make life hard for the fella... will contacting triton for a warranty fix land him in the **** for the way it was installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

If its an SR it should not be hooked up to the mains,also if you are in an apartment more than likely you have a pump in the hot press feeding the
    Hots and colds.
    T80 is the mains fed model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

rightjob! wrote: »
    If its an SR it should not be hooked up to the mains,also if you are in an apartment more than likely you have a pump in the hot press feeding the
    Hots and colds.
    T80 is the mains fed model

Thanks rightjob, no pump unfortunately (Owner went through two that leaked and flooded the place). Any advice for what to do now that the installation wasn’t ideal?? Is the current unit likely to be dead or could it just be an issue with the valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's hooked up to a pressure reducing valve. It voids the warranty but can be successful.

Most likely you need to replace the solenoid. If you ring Triton they might do this under warranty if you you don't show them the reduced valve. If not under warranty they will charge around 120 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

He has a pressure reducing valve on the shower feed and looks that its not letting water in.
    The grey part on the top of it will have a flat head screw on it and a plus and minus arrow on it.
    Use a flat head to turn it into the plus direction very slightly,you only want the guage to read about .5 max.
    When you have done this,take the shower head off and leave the hose hanging straight down.
    Turn the shower to cold and turn it on,when it gets rid of the air in the line it should be good.
    (This is presuming the shower has no water going to it and is not damaged)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

You say he hooked it up to the mains with a ball valve on the mains supply, well if so then the PRV is fitted the wrong way round and Pressure gauge showing 0 pressure, should be ~ 0.6/1.0 bar, its a wonder it ever worked, shut off mains and reverse the PRV but then reopen the ball valve very slowly and adjust the PRV to prevent the pressure rise > 1.0 bar. One might think that the pressure gauge should/might be reflecting the mains pressure now so after shuttin the ball valve remove the pipe at this end first and the ensure that that actually IS the mains supply.

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »
    You say he hooked it up to the mains with a ball valve on the mains supply, well if so then the PRV is fitted the wrong way round and Pressure gauge showing 0 pressure, should be ~ 0.6/1.0 bar, its a wonder it ever worked, shut off mains and reverse the PRV but then reopen the ball valve very slowly and adjust the PRV to prevent the pressure rise > 1.0 bar. One might think that the pressure gauge should/might be reflecting the mains pressure now so after shuttin the ball valve remove the pipe at this end first and the ensure that that actually IS the mains supply.

I'd say it was originally installed properly (the right way round). Just stopped working out of the blue after a few months... hopefully just an airlock or something simple.

Well IMO its certainly not orientated the correct way now IF the flow is from left to right, the only conceivable way it just might work in this position is if it is actually fed from a header tank and the PRV is full open but of course it wouldn't be required in this case. There will be a arrow on the PRV body showing direction of flow.

The arrow can be seen here (highlighted) so if the flow is from right to left, fine, the filter inside may just need cleaning and the PRV adjusted, If flow from left to right, then needs to be reversed.

John.G wrote: »
    Well IMO its certainly not orientated the correct way now IF the flow is from left to right, the only conceivable way it just might work in this position is if it is actually fed from a header tank and the PRV is full open but of course it wouldn't be required in this case. There will be a arrow on the PRV body showing direction of flow.

The arrow can be seen here (highlighted) so if the flow is from right to left, fine, the filter inside may just need cleaning and the PRV adjusted, If flow from left to right, then needs to be reversed.

Apologies for the confusion - photo auto rotated!
    Vertical photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did you let the landlord know you got that job done?

Seems like a bit of a terrible plumber

Favebook plumber by any chance ?

minikin wrote: »
    Apologies for the confusion - photo auto rotated!
    Vertical photo.

No problem, fix as I stated above, also just check that the ball valve, on the mains, if fitted, wasn't inadvertently closed.

• Advertisement

A plumber sourced and installed this model for us earlier this year, water pressure in apartment was lousy so he hooked it up to the mains with a pressure reducing valve on the mains supply. Three months ago the shower stopped working (has electricity, no fuse issue externally anyway) just no water comes from it!

Have been waiting on the installer to come back out for three months now... lots of promises... never arrives... now not answering messages.

Not expecting a free fix, just pissed off and fed up with baths at this stage. Any suggestions?

Not trying to make life hard for the fella... will contacting triton for a warranty fix land him in the **** for the way it was installed?

He is an independent plumber & isn't linked to Triton in any way. You won't get him into trouble with Triton. Contacting Triton May cost you money though. They are only concerned with the shower. If the PRV is faulty then they will charge you 70 euro call out fee BUT won't fix the problem. You won't be seeing a Triton engineer Till 2020 at this stage anyway.

The PRV isn't ideal but sometimes it's the only solution & can be successful if water mains pressure is under 1 BAR. I have this setup on a clients log cabin for almost 15 years now without issue.

When you turn shower on does anything happen? Motor noise? Power light come on? Does any water come out when turned on? Even a few drops?

I don’t understand this, he done a bad job if it’s not working, you paid money and he can’t even bother to come back fix it

F**k him, better off calling out bad workmanship so less gangster on the road

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I don’t understand this, he done a bad job if it’s not working, you paid money and he can’t even bother to come back fix it

This isn't necessarily true. The PRV may be faulty or a part in the shower might need replacing. None of this is the installers fault though he should have come back within a few days to see if its the PRV or the shower at fault. If PRV then he should have replaced it free of charge. If the shower is at fault then triton should be called for warranty repair.

The photo seems to show zero pressure on the PRV and this is the likely problem but the pressure gauge could be faulty. OP mentioned fuses and the shower getting power but there is no mention of pump noise. If there was a pump noise & power light coming on then I don't see why op would mention fuses.

OP needs to come back with more information

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily true. The PRV may be faulty or a part in the shower might need replacing. None of this is the installers fault though he should have come back within a few days to see if its the PRV or the shower at fault. If PRV then he should have replaced it free of charge. If the shower is at fault then triton should be called for warranty repair.

The photo seems to show zero pressure on the PRV and this is the likely problem but the pressure gauge could be faulty. OP mentioned fuses and the shower getting power but there is no mention of pump noise. If there was a pump noise & power light coming on then I don't see why op would mention fuses.

OP needs to come back with more information

Might not be installed fault but at least have the manners after taking the persons money to come back and fix

I know you are an installed etc, but the market is full of a shower of gangsters doing crappy work and not getting called out on it

If the crappy ones don’t get called out then the good ones get a bad name, you not agree?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Might not be installed fault but at least have the manners after taking the persons money to come back and fix

I know you are an installed etc, but the market is full of a shower of gangsters doing crappy work and not getting called out on it

If the crappy ones don’t get called out then the good ones get a bad name, you not agree?

I don't necessarily agree that it's a crappy job. Sometimes in very rare occasions this is the best setup or sometimes the only setup available. Of course he should have come back. I've a text message from 2:20AM this morning saying a shower I installed a few months ago has no water. It should be a Mira warranty call but I can't leave client without a shower till 7th or 8th January waiting for Mira to come back from their Christmas break So I'll be calling there this morning & replacing the solenoid free of charge out of my own pocket.

Oh & I replied to above client at 6:30am this morning. If its ok for her to text me at 2:20AM then it's perfectly fine for me to text her at 6:30AM :D

I don't necessarily agree that it's a crappy job. Sometimes in very rare occasions this is the best setup or sometimes the only setup available. Of course he should have come back. I've a text message from 2:20AM this morning saying a shower I installed a few months ago has no water. It should be a Mira warranty call but I can't leave client without a shower till 7th or 8th January waiting for Mira to come back from their Christmas break So I'll be calling there this morning & replacing the solenoid free of charge out of my own pocket.

Oh & I replied to above client at 6:30am this morning. If its ok for her to text me at 2:20AM then it's perfectly fine for me to text her at 6:30AM :D

I dare you to arrive at door with a bucket and walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the shower is on the other side of the wall where the cable and pipe are passing through (red circle) then the pressure reducing valve is in the correct position.
    The gauge is showing zero pressure as no water is passing through it.
    Follow the pipe from the gauge back to where it has been connected to the mains and see if another valve has been accidentally shut off.
    If that's not the case, then the pressure reducing valve may need some adjustment as they are normally pre-set at 3 Bar and turning it down too low may have caused a malfunction if the inlet pressure is not very high.
    On top of the valve is a very small black plug, the adjustment screw is under the plug.

Edit: if you are adjusting the valve, do not go over 1 bar.

498163.jpg

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Did you let the landlord know you got that job done?

Seems like a bit of a terrible plumber

Favebook plumber by any chance ?

No landlord - the owner is my partner now but she owned the place a long time before I was thought of :)

He is an independent plumber & isn't linked to Triton in any way. You won't get him into trouble with Triton. Contacting Triton May cost you money though. They are only concerned with the shower. If the PRV is faulty then they will charge you 70 euro call out fee BUT won't fix the problem. You won't be seeing a Triton engineer Till 2020 at this stage anyway.

The PRV isn't ideal but sometimes it's the only solution & can be successful if water mains pressure is under 1 BAR. I have this setup on a clients log cabin for almost 15 years now without issue.

When you turn shower on does anything happen? Motor noise? Power light come on? Does any water come out when turned on? Even a few drops?

Unit turns on (has power)
    Pump sounds like it’s straining.
    Not a drop of water comes out - have tried all settings and temps.

Appreciate all your comments!

minikin wrote:
    Appreciate all your comments!

If it is the shower at fault then it has to be the solenoid. The photo of the PRV and the pressure gauge suggests that it's not the shower though. It suggests that the shower isn't getting any water. You should or get someone to try K.flyers advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement