Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best finish for a bench in a damp garage

Options
  • 20-12-2019 2:05am

At the moment and for the foreseeable future I'm working in a typical old Irish garage, so cavity block.wall with a corrugated roof and no heating/insulation.
    No water ingress from the roof etc, but tools will rust if I leave them out.

The family got together and bought me a bench for my birthday, so I am wondering what the best finish would be to apply to it to keep it in reasonable shape.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

DubInMeath wrote: »
    At the moment and for the foreseeable future I'm working in a typical old Irish garage, so cavity block.wall with a corrugated roof and no heating/insulation.
    No water ingress from the roof etc, but tools will rust if I leave them out.

The family got together and bought me a bench for my birthday, so I am wondering what the best finish would be to apply to it to keep it in reasonable shape.

All suggestions welcome.

No matter what finish you put on it you will then have to maintain it. I would avoid any varnish as moisture will get under it eventually. The oil/wax combinations like Osmopolyx are good but pricey. Probably the best thing is to introduce a little heat to the shed and simply give it a waxing from time to time ?

recipio wrote: »
    No matter what finish you put on it you will then have to maintain it. I would avoid any varnish as moisture will get under it eventually. The oil/wax combinations like Osmopolyx are good but pricey. Probably the best thing is to introduce a little heat to the shed and simply give it a waxing from time to time ?

Thanks, have been reading the workshop heating thread with interest alright but I have zero insulation in it, and I'm only able to get into it on weekends only so heating might be a bit difficult. I am thinking of building a 'cave' for it inside the garage that I could insulate however.

Was thinking of using yacht varnish, and was looking at osmo also, but understand that any finish is going to need to be maintained.

Is it bare unfinished wood now? If so, go nuts on it with Boiled Linseed Oil over the course of a couple of weeks, then wax the top.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Is it bare unfinished wood now? If so, go nuts on it with Boiled Linseed Oil over the course of a couple of weeks, then wax the top.

It's not out of me dad's place yet, as the back is in bits, but I'd say so. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement