Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth using night time meter heating?

Options
  • 19-12-2019 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

So I have dual day and night time meters.
    Got electrical based storage heater in living room. Usually I don't use the storage heater as I am away from 8 am until 6 pm daily. But I am off work for Christmas and using heater in living room during day time.

So i am wondering if I could save electricity bill by using night time heater this week and next week?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Yeah, I would say so. Assuming they are set up correctly, storage heaters will switch on at 11pm and start storing up heat in the bricks. They switch off at 8am the next morning and will then discharge whatever heat they have stored over the coming hours. your rooms should be warm throughout the morning and afternoon but by evening time you will probably need to switch on an additional electric heater. When this is needed will depend on how good the storage heaters are, how cold the weather is and how well insulated your property is. In any event, most of your heating for the day should be covered by the night rate electricity.

They may take a couple of days to get up to full capacity so the sooner you switch them on the better. It takes a bit of 'fiddling' with the controls to get the right setting for your needs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks, will try it from tonight.

Advertisement