Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic help needed with home heating system

Options
  • 18-12-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a Firebird RS Balanced Flue Popular 90 oil boiler/burner central heating system: image here

There is a white box on top of it that says "Thermomass" on it. I think this is the thermostat, however nothing is labelled and it looks like another dial/knob has come off: image here

I control the heat using a Flash Immermat timer switch, on which the clock has stopped working: image here

My questions are:
    1. Is that white box the thermostat? How can I adjust the temperature? The remaining dial is loose and un-labelled. The only link I could find was to the manufacturer website but I can't get any information from it: http://www.thermomess.com/ENG/termostati.asp
    2. Is it possible to use a Hive or a Nest with this heating system? My understanding is that the Hive/Nest will replace the thermostat, but I don't know if I even have one. I will contact them to ask this, but if anyone here knows let me know your thoughts.
    3. What would I need to replace (Immermat timer/thermostat/everything?) to get a more sophisticated setup? Programmable, digital interface for temperature etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Turn the spindle that's missing the knob to mid position, by going fully one way then the other and finding the mid position.

The smart thermostat (remote switch part) would most likely replace your timer and certainly not your boiler thermostat.

Also important to keep boilers regularly serviced. This is even more important with indoor boilers.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Wearb wrote: »
    Turn the spindle that's missing the knob to mid position, by going fully one way then the other and finding the mid position
    Sorry if I'm being thick, but what would the mid position equate to? Are the dials for this model numbered (e.g. 1-10) or in degrees?
    The smart thermostat (remote switch part) would most likely replace your timer and certainly not your boiler thermostat.
    Is there any way to tell whether or not this boiler/thermostat is capable of being "smart"? I was on to Hive but they weren't much help unfortunately.
    Also important to keep boilers regularly serviced. This is even more important with indoor boilers.
    Yes, agreed. I moved in nearly 1 year ago and I know the burner was replaced but unsure if it's been serviced. Must arrange for one soon regardless.

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sorry if I'm being thick, but what would the mid position equate to? Are the dials for this model numbered (e.g. 1-10) or in degrees?
    They are not really accurate, but about 70/75C
    Is there any way to tell whether or not this boiler/thermostat is capable of being "smart"? I was on to Hive but they weren't much help unfortunately.
    I see not reason why the timer cannot be used as I suggested in my previous post. The boiler thermostat has nothing to do with it.
    Yes, agreed. I moved in nearly 1 year ago and I know the burner was replaced but unsure if it's been serviced. Must arrange for one soon regardless.

Thanks for your help.
    Was there a combustion test done when the burner was replaced? Should have been.

Make sure to have a WORKING CO alarm.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement