Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Fondo Wicklow 2020

Options
  • 18-12-2019 1:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This just popped up on my feed. New event from a seeminly new club.

Anyone that's an architect, they're holding a race for them specifically in May too.

79315612_156282925717870_6102585642087088128_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=rwlFHlxhq-4AQl80pMTM6zo956160My9FUYKwMoui7r1RNGMz2uMslupA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c465392737a8607dc183445acd8b2346&oe=5E694CB7

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the URLs in the poster aren't much cop - one is a holding page, the other is not found.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They are not. It's on their Facebook page. Something to do with Henry Lyons architects

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Starsky cycling? Where’s Hutch? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think they missed a a trick. it should be called the GranTourino Fondo! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Weepsie wrote: »
    They are not. It's on their Facebook page. Something to do with Henry Lyons architects

HJA is enough to put me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I wouldn't say they're a new club. Anyone that's racing certainly knows how to avoid being in the same place as some of their riders as much as possible. Very mediocre route/distance considering what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Plastik wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they're a new club. Anyone that's racing certainly knows how to avoid being in the same place as some of their riders as much as possible. Very mediocre route/distance considering what's available.

Is route posted anywhere?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Starsky cycling? Where’s Hutch? :)
    Hanging with Huggy in the Pits...

I suppose a timed element, as per an actual gran fondo, might bring something new, but apart from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

worthy charity, whatever about the rest of your gripes.

best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Can't really figure it out. The charity element seems to be from a raffle and not part of the entry fee; CI's logo is on the poster but the event isn't listed on their calendar; they have been out marking the route already but haven't published it yet. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Interesting route for the Grand Fondo. Some nice climbs there. But I wouldn't fancy that first descent off Golden Hill in a big group within the first 4km or so. We avoid it on club spins and it is practically in our back yard.

https://goo.gl/maps/QcLdk7ttCgu461ZD8

Corker1 wrote: »
    Interesting route for the Grand Fondo.
    Definitely a more interesting route than I was expecting. But... the Rathdrum to Rathnew road isn't great on a Saturday (driver behaviour wise - one of my least favourite roads). Similarly, I tend to take the backroads rather than Slaughter from Newtown on a Saturday afternoon when I peel off the club spin.

With the Wicklow200 now costing 75e to enter, this might be a good alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

€75 rising to €85 shortly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

With the Wicklow200 now costing 75e to enter, this might be a good alternative

The alternative is already there. The Resevoir Dog. There's also the 3 peaks in august sometime think?

And the Evil is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Plastik wrote: »

^^^^
    On that page is a "website" link that is meant to bring you to the event website. It is redirecting me to the Wicklow 200 page though :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    The alternative is already there. The Resevoir Dog. There's also the 3 peaks in august sometime think?
    SERC 3 Peaks is April. There's the Bray Wheelers Paddy Martin. Wicklow Mountains Cycle Challenge. All (in some cases significantly) cheaper than Wicklow 200 and this one. Not sure about 3 peaks, but the others for charity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^^^
    On that page is a "website" link that is meant to bring you to the event website. It is redirecting me to the Wicklow 200 page though :pac:

I noticed that. The event is also filed:visible only from the California Granfondo section, not the Europe one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Website now up at http://granfondowicklow.ie/

For a small club with 4 active members, the marshalling alone will be challenging over such a long route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement