Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Solar array size

Options
  • 18-12-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, tried searching but could not find any threads on this:

I am doing an energy upgrade of a house from G to hopefully A3 or better. The usual items, Air to water, external insulation, treble glazing etc. Part of the proposal is to install PV solar on roof. I am going via a grant scheme and a 6Kw has been proposed. I am trying to get an idea of how this would look? from searching it seems 250w panels are 1.6m*1m so I'm counting 24?? Does that seem right? Looking at my roof plan it will mean mix of Southwest facing array, SE facing and few (5) NW.

So the ask is, How big are your arrays and can anyone post a pic of a 6KW system on an Irish roof? Im not looking at battery option.

Thank you for any feedback

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi, tried searching but could not find any threads on this:

I am doing an energy upgrade of a house from G to hopefully A3 or better. The usual items, Air to water, external insulation, treble glazing etc. Part of the proposal is to install PV solar on roof. I am going via a grant scheme and a 6Kw has been proposed. I am trying to get an idea of how this would look? from searching it seems 250w panels are 1.6m*1m so I'm counting 24?? Does that seem right? Looking at my roof plan it will mean mix of Southwest facing array, SE facing and few (5) NW.

So the ask is, How big are your arrays and can anyone post a pic of a 6KW system on an Irish roof? Im not looking at battery option.

Thank you for any feedback

6 kw will need Planning Permission?
    I have a 3 kw system over 10 panels (300w each).

Why no battery?
    I have no battery and its my biggest bug bear as I export more than i can use (for free i might add).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

kceire wrote: »
    6 kw will need Planning Permission?
    I have a 3 kw system over 10 panels (300w each).

Why no battery?
    I have no battery and its my biggest bug bear as I export more than i can use (for free i might add).

Thx for reply. I submitted a planning application for energy works (external insulation etc) and other changes (I stated roof would house a PV array in wording and application and gave a indicative elevation drawing).
    I’d been debating the battery, maybe I should look more at reducing array to 3Kw and adding battery instead. I’m worrying about the look of roof, I don’t want it to look overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thx for reply. I submitted a planning application for energy works (external insulation etc) and other changes (I stated roof would house a PV array in wording and application and gave a indicative elevation drawing).
    I’d been debating the battery, maybe I should look more at reducing array to 3Kw and adding battery instead. I’m worrying about the look of roof, I don’t want it to look overkill

I have 6k (5.85) consisting of 18 panels on south facing roof. They are quite obvious, but dint look out if place. I have had occasions where guests didn't even realise I had them till I mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Get max panels,forget about battery for now.
    FIT payments come in effect in June 2020,that will be your battery:more in summer less in winter.Will compensate in long term.

There are 330w and 350w panels.
    Get as many you can afford,go for premium if afford.
    6kw array in summer harvest about 5ish Kw while in winter 500ish W power...

Check inverter to support array.

More important is the physics law: position to South and angle to Sun.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

rolion wrote: »

More important is the physics law: position to South and angle to Sun.

Thanks. It will be a mix of direction to catch morning to sunset sun on circa 35deg roof. I have to replace roof as part of work now, I’d love to hold off till Tesla roof gets to Europe but that could be years off and no details on costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Thanks. It will be a mix of direction to catch morning to sunset sun on circa 35deg roof. I have to replace roof as part of work now, I’d love to hold off till Tesla roof gets to Europe but that could be years off and no details on costs.

Several other companies already do solar roof tiles but I don't really see the advantage as they wont be cheap. At least twice by price based on some figures I seen.

Like Rolian said, get as many good quality panels as you can afford. A battery could always be added later without having to go near the roof but have you missed the deadline for the 1k grant now if going down that route.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To get official planning for the array to have to give the square meters for them. If it’s close enough the. You should be fine though.

kceire wrote: »
    Why no battery?

So you would rather lose money on a hardware investment to stop your electricity mingling with national electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 newrossman

Hi

What’s the situation if you try to sell house with more than 12 sq mtr panels 7 appears legal 18 nope. But to get any reasonable return you need at least 3kw 12+ panels. Law is changing but would a bank give mortgage on house with panels with no PP.
    local CC said never had a issue but never had a objection put in.
    Have arrangement with installer that he would make roof legal(remove panels) for free if objections from CC. Still am I in a mess if selling with at moment illegal panel install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

newrossman wrote: »
    Hi

What’s the situation if you try to sell house with more than 12 sq mtr panels 7 appears legal 18 nope. But to get any reasonable return you need at least 3kw 12+ panels. Law is changing but would a bank give mortgage on house with panels with no PP.
    local CC said never had a issue but never had a objection put in.
    Have arrangement with installer that he would make roof legal(remove panels) for free if objections from CC. Still am I in a mess if selling with at moment illegal panel install?

If you are worried, just go for planning, or retention planning ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 newrossman

Yes I can do that but would selling house would the buying solicitor say not legal or even bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

newrossman wrote: »
    Yes I can do that but would selling house would the buying solicitor say not legal or even bank?

Yes, in general you will have problems selling if there are outstanding planning issues. These would all get looked into in great detail during the conveyancing process for the benefit of the purchaser and their bank.

Advertisement