Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple central heating problems

Options
  • 18-12-2019 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've got a Potterton Suprima 50 L boiler, the one with a single indicator LED; there seem to be a few models. Manual here: https://www.potterton.co.uk/-/media/websites/pottertonuk/files/discontinued-products-pdf/potterton_suprima_30-100l_user_guide.pdf

When I moved in a few years ago, the system was really unreliable with a lot of air in the radiators. When I bled them, I found it would no longer work at all. It turned out that there was no pressure vessel fitted, and there were a lot of leaks. After getting a pressure vessel fitted and the leaks fixed, things calmed down, and it now holds pressure.

I got the boiler serviced the other week, and all was well.

I'm left with a few problems, though. Big list of questions coming!

First, when the system's turned on, it takes about a minute for the boiler to start. It's a three zone system (upstairs, downstairs, and hot water) and after switching the zones on but before it starts I can hear the valves (Myson Power Extra) making some noise. After a bit, the noise stops, and the boiler comes on. Anyone know what's happening here?

Once at temperature, the boiler goes off for a couple of minutes, comes back on for a couple of minutes, and repeats. I'm not sure if this is normal. What would be a normal time for this cycling?

What temperature should I be setting it to, anyway? The thermostat on the boiler doesn't show actual temperatures (see attached image).

If the demand is shut off while the boiler is lighting (light flashing orange and green), the boiler stops, but the light starts flashing red rapidly. According to the user manual: "If the LED is flashing Red rapidly the control is in remote diagnostic mode.". Anyone know what this means? Is it harmful? After a few minutes it stops, and returns to normal.

I've also seen it do this when the thermostats for both zones reach temperature, or if the TRVs on all the radiators are closed. In this case, I don't think it will come back on until all zones are turned off, though I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks, all!

Advertisement