Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Chromecast work using another phone as hotspot

Options
  • 17-12-2019 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Currently my partner and I are just using our phones or tablet to watch Netflix but would be nice to watch something together every now and again on de ol tv. So want to buy Chromecast and use one phone as hotspot and the other phone to cast from netflix. I saw something ages ago that implied that casting to a big screen uses a hell of alot more data than just watching on phone- is that true? Also can we just download from netflix on phone and cast the downloaded movie ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm not sure about the netflix bit, but the chromecast and the casting device have to be connected to the same network as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

seefin wrote: »
    Currently my partner and I are just using our phones or tablet to watch Netflix but would be nice to watch something together every now and again on de ol tv. So want to buy Chromecast and use one phone as hotspot and the other phone to cast from netflix. I saw something ages ago that implied that casting to a big screen uses a hell of alot more data than just watching on phone- is that true? Also can we just download from netflix on phone and cast the downloaded movie ?

The chromecast device has to be connected to the same network.
    So if you're using a phone as a hot-spot both the chromecast and the casting device have to be connected to it.
    I don't think it's any harder on data and if you've already downloaded a movie then you can cast it as long as you follow the rule above.
    Do you have WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pygmy Shrew

Yes you can, but you need to set up the Chromecast using a different network signal to the one you will be using for your hotspot. So if you both have phones with data, decide which one will be used for casting and then use the other one to set up your Chromecast. This is pretty easy to do and works really well and I don't remember that it used more data casting to the bigger screen. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Yes you can, but you need to set up the Chromecast using a different network signal to the one you will be using for your hotspot. So if you both have phones with data, decide which one will be used for casting and then use the other one to set up your Chromecast.
    This is contrary to having on same network as other posters advised. I prefer your answer . No WiFi in house so we'll use my partner's phone which has more data allowance to hotspot

Just a few more thing to remember.
    The chromecast needs to stay connected to the hot-spot device, if that's being used for other stuff at the same time it will weaken the signal and the chromecast could freeze or buffer.
    Also if you set a movie to play off your phone and your partners phone is the hot-spot, once you set the movie or program to play then you can feck off and leave for a while if you like as the chromecast will work away without the original device. And vice versa.

• Advertisement

This is contrary to having on same network as other posters advised. I prefer your answer . No WiFi in house so we'll use my partner's phone which has more data allowance to hotspot

Both the casting phone and the chromecast HAVE to be connected to the same hot-spot at the time of starting the cast.
    Basically, if you use your partners phone as the hotspot, then to cast from your phone both your phone and the chromecast HAVE to be connected to your partners phone as the cast starts.

Both the casting phone and the chromecast HAVE to be connected to the same hot-spot at the time of starting the cast.

Can I break it down in baby steps in case not understanding?
    My partner turns on hotspot on his phone
    We plug in the Chromecast device to TV. We configure it to connect to partners phone wifi signal
    I install Chromecast app on my phone . I connect my phone to my partner's phone wifi .
    I play movie on netflix and, voila, it casts to tv
    Is that right?

Can I break it down in baby steps in case not understanding?
    My partner turns on hotspot on his phone
    We plug in the Chromecast device to TV. We configure it to connect to partners phone wifi signal
    I install Chromecast app on my phone . I connect my phone to my partner's phone wifi .
    I play movie on netflix and, voila, it casts to tv
    Is that right?

That's it.
    If you have Netflix on your phone and the connection is right then a little square to cast icon will appear on your phone screen when you open netflix, just tap that and what want to cast will appear on your TV screen.
    They're great, enjoy.
    What network are you on?

If you're having trouble, there's plenty of handy tutorials on YouTube anyway.

That's it.
    If you have Netflix on your phone and the connection is right then a little square to cast icon will appear on your phone screen when you open netflix, just tap that and what want to cast will appear on your TV screen.
    They're great, enjoy.
    What network are you on?

If you're having trouble, there's plenty of handy tutorials on YouTube anyway.

Partners phone is gomo. My phone is eir. Thanks a million Bishop

Advertisement