Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a solicitor or not

Options
  • 16-12-2019 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

If you commit a number of crimes, all under the same category, not exactly high priority.

You are arrested and admit everything and give statements.

The police send you on your way and wait for the verdict from the DPP, whether or not its been brought to court etc

If it goes to court what happens? You obviously need a solicitor to represent you, but you said no to one all along.

Is it going to benefit you more to have a solicitor throughout the process to defend yourself better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you commit a number of crimes, all under the same category, not exactly high priority.

You are arrested and admit everything and give statements.

The police send you on your way and wait for the verdict from the DPP, whether or not its been brought to court etc

If it goes to court what happens? You obviously need a solicitor to represent you, but you said no to one all along.

Is it going to benefit you more to have a solicitor throughout the process to defend yourself better?
    A solicitor who is experienced in dealing with the particular judge is useful. Some solicitors know how to get the greatest degree of leniency. Some judges get annoyed at unrepresented defendants wasting time and making work for them and give a higher sentence in consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ok, thank you.

Whatever makes the judge happiest is best!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This I don't understand. Gardai didn't offer a solicitor. Who did you say no to all along? It's always up to you to get the solicitor & you can do that at any time

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This I don't understand. Gardai didn't offer a solicitor. Who did you say no to all along? It's always up to you to get the solicitor & you can do that at any time

sorry if I messed that up, what I meant is,

in the initial interview/being questioned, obviously the Gardai ask you would you like to have a solicitor/legal aid present, and you decline as you're happy to give your statement

but when/if it goes to court, I would like to then have a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭dennyk

in the initial interview/being questioned, obviously the Gardai ask you would you like to have a solicitor/legal aid present, and you decline as you're happy to give your statement

The correct answer would have been "yes" to the former so that said solicitor could then advise you to keep your mouth shut and not confess crimes to the guards. I'd definitely recommend consulting with one immediately and do exactly what they tell you from now on before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole.

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    The correct answer would have been "yes" to the former so that said solicitor could then advise you to keep your mouth shut and not confess crimes to the guards. I'd definitely recommend consulting with one immediately and do exactly what they tell you from now on before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole.

even when they have clear as day evidence? and I mean clear as day...

does it not make you look slightly better for owning up and apologizing/ showing a deep sense of regret? and never having any previous convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭dennyk

even when they have clear as day evidence? and I mean clear as day...

does it not make you look slightly better for owning up and apologizing/ showing a deep sense of regret? and never having any previous convictions

That is exactly the question you should be asking your solicitor. Generally speaking, though, freely confessing crimes to law enforcement is almost always a bad idea. The Guards are not your friends; their job is to put you in jail, not keep you out of it. If your situation happens to be one of the extraordinarily rare ones where it isn't a bad idea to speak to the guards, then your solicitor will advise you accordingly.

dennyk wrote: »
    That is exactly the question you should be asking your solicitor. Generally speaking, though, freely confessing crimes to law enforcement is almost always a bad idea. The Guards are not your friends; their job is to put you in jail, not keep you out of it. If your situation happens to be one of the extraordinarily rare ones where it isn't a bad idea to speak to the guards, then your solicitor will advise you accordingly.

Yeah, i suppose. Just all so new to be honest, I thought I didn't necessarily need a solicitor if I was happy to hold my hands up, admit, and try fix (to some extent) what was done

I guess I'll find out whether I'm after shooting myself in the foot or not, soon enough.

I just feel it would make the file look way worse and look worse on me as a person if I denied it to the ground, instead of being of the 'Made a huge mistake and won't do it again' category

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you commit a number of crimes
    Yes, one would need a solicitor.

The problem with a series of similar crimes is that it looks like a pattern to a judge an they are more likely to take a harsher view. Now, if you can convince the judge that you have changed your ways, that will help. Ask your solicitor what would help.

Victor wrote: »
    Yes, one would need a solicitor.

The problem with a series of similar crimes is that it looks like a pattern to a judge an they are more likely to take a harsher view. Now, if you can convince the judge that you have changed your ways, that will help. Ask your solicitor what would help.

Thank you, yes it was a number of them all in or around the same period, which i do genuinely regret and never want to step foot in a garda station again - lesson learned basically. so if this goes to court hopefully they will see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Thank you, yes it was a number of them all in or around the same period, which i do genuinely regret and never want to step foot in a garda station again - lesson learned basically. so if this goes to court hopefully they will see this.

Having seen a lot of your posts on here I can't imagine you having done anything that bad. I think you should see a solicitor now tbh though. Look up articles of similar cases and see who the solicitors were etc. A solicitor that the judge is familiar with is best and I have a feeling these are first offences so like find a solicitor and ring up and make an appointment to see them, they will be best able to advise on what lies ahead and will probably have a fair idea what the guard you dealt with and the judge you'll be in front of will do.Then if you get a summons you contact them again to look at it and represent you on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah, i suppose. Just all so new to be honest, I thought I didn't necessarily need a solicitor if I was happy to hold my hands up, admit, and try fix (to some extent) what was done

I guess I'll find out whether I'm after shooting myself in the foot or not, soon enough.

I just feel it would make the file look way worse and look worse on me as a person if I denied it to the ground, instead of being of the 'Made a huge mistake and won't do it again' category

Even when the evidence is clear as day there's a question as to whether it's properly obtained and admissible.

Having someone in your corner to make the gardai work for it is always a good thing.

Advertisement