Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon monoxide alarm went off - what next

Options
  • 15-12-2019 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Last night, the carbon monoxide alarm went off in my parents house.

They had fire down, as they do every night.
    Mother placed some coal into fire, and some smoke came out. Few minutes late, alarm went off.

Alarm sits above fire place. Chimney was cleaned about 6 weeks ago.

I went over, opened up all windows and doors. Brought my folks to stay with me. Went back into their house. Alarm went off that one time only.

Not sure what next steps are...plan to open windows and doors on house today, make sure air is getting in. After that, I don't know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Blow back like that is common enough.

Having the alarm there would not be the norm to be honest.

Good place for it would be over near where they are sitting very close to head level when they are sitting, so along the wall.

Opening the windows good idea of course but if the alarm stayed off then after all that it would most likely be ok.

Do they have one for upstairs too?

Be a good idea to fit one where they sleep on the wall also at the level of where their head would be on the pillow.

Is there good vents in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Blow back like that is common enough.

Having the alarm there would not be the norm to be honest.

Good place for it would be over near where they are sitting very close to head level when they are sitting, so along the wall.

Opening the windows good idea of course but if the alarm stayed off then after all that it would most likely be ok.

Do they have one for upstairs too?

Be a good idea to fit one where they sleep on the wall also at the level of where their head would be on the pillow.

Is there good vents in the property.

Thanks for reply!

The sitting room is quite small, hence the alarm is on the fire place surround. The other place (at head level hight it could be left) is the window sill. It might have to be mounted to wall.

There are none upstairs, but no one sleeps upstairs. Definitely think one for their bedroom is a good idea. There is a second one in the kitchen, which did not go off.

There are no proper vents in the house, it's quite an old house but might be worth looking in. A draft excluder was fitted on bottom of the door yesterday, may have contribute to lack of air in/out of the room

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a vent in asap.....

Especially when there are fossil fuels been used.

Advertisement