Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Bonus

Options
  • 14-12-2019 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with a Christmas Bonus question.

I have looked up various websites about Christmas Bonuses and the small benefits reliefs. The information seems to vary.

My question is if someone gets a Christmas Bonus of €700 and gets this bonus as a gift card of €500 and the remaining €200 is added to their wages for a week, is only the €200 taxable?

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

Hi,

I have looked up various websites about Christmas Bonuses and the small benefits reliefs. The information seems to vary.

My question is if someone gets a Christmas Bonus of €700 and gets this bonus as a gift card of €500 and the remaining €200 is added to their wages for a week, is only the €200 taxable?

Only the €200 will be taxed. Employers can gift one 4 all’s etc tax free up to a value of €500 in any one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Hi,

Yes this is correct. 500 euro voucher is the max you can get tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi,

... in my limited experience ... i would say your understanding is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The small gifts benefit allows one tx-free amount up to €500 per year on a gift card. So it sounds like yes, only the 200 would be taxed, but i guess it would come down to how your employer has termed the bonus in your contract - can you take the 700 as cash and take the tax hit if you dont want a gift card?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Irishdreamer

retalivity wrote: »
    The small gifts benefit allows one tx-free amount up to €500 per year on a gift card. So it sounds like yes, only the 200 would be taxed, but i guess it would come down to how your employer has termed the bonus in your contract - can you take the 700 as cash and take the tax hit if you dont want a gift card?

There is actually no mention of a bonus in the contracts. This is the first time the staff have been offered a bonus of either a gift card or cash (through payroll). The gift card is an excellent option so it was agreed with the staff to use this option. However one staff member is getting a higher bonus but still wanted the €500 gift card and it was our understanding that only the amount excess of the gift card, €200, would be taxable through the payroll system.

I read on a couple of websites that it works differently. For example one website stated "Where a bonus exceeds the €500 limit, the full value is subject to tax".

I'm just worried that we have done this incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

There is actually no mention of a bonus in the contracts. This is the first time the staff have been offered a bonus of either a gift card or cash (through payroll). The gift card is an excellent option so it was agreed with the staff to use this option. However one staff member is getting a higher bonus but still wanted the €500 gift card and it was our understanding that only the amount excess of the gift card, €200, would be taxable through the payroll system.

I read on a couple of websites that it works differently. For example one website stated "Where a bonus exceeds the €500 limit, the full value is subject to tax".

I'm just worried that we have done this incorrectly.

Ya ... if you get a gift card for €700 - then the whole thing is taxable. but your question of getting 2 elements - one a gift card of €500 and then €200 into his wages is what we are addressing

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

retalivity wrote: »

Always take the oneforall, for a fee of €8 you can have the balance transferred in full to (I believe) a bank acc

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Irishdreamer

Masala wrote: »
    Ya ... if you get a gift card for €700 - then the whole thing is taxable. but your question of getting 2 elements - one a gift card of €500 and then €200 into his wages is what we are addressing

Thanks for the replies!

As you can tell I'm not familiar with this and apparently neither is the company I work for as this is the first year we are doing it.

Seeing various different information online is confusing.
    For example another website said "If the €500 value is exceed in any year then the total benefit is liable for tax. There is no exemption for the first €500."
    I could be wrong in my understanding of that piece though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

cefh17 wrote: »
    Always take the oneforall, for a fee of €8 you can have the balance transferred in full to (I believe) a bank acc

Super valu and tesco accept them, so can be used for groceries and every day living. Actually, i used my last one in a few pubs around dublin to buy a round of drinks, so no need really to transfer to a bank acc and get the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Was in Woodies earlier and they refused to accept it, told me that a wide number of retailers have installed new systems which wont accept them
    I see this as blowback against the use of such cards

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

The gift card for €500 has to be in one go. You cannot give the small benefit relief in multiple gifts (i.e. €250 then €250). If you do then only the first gift is tax-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

cefh17 wrote: »

can have it transferred for free if you know do the paypal workaround

Advertisement