Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing radiators???

Options
  • 13-12-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

The oil central heating in my house has always been a bit hit & miss. More misses than hits, to be honest. The most recent difficulty is some rads were hopping with heat, whilst others were luke warm & one stone cold. I live in a bungalow & moving from one room to another was like crossing from the Sahara to Antarctica. I managed to secure a plumber (no mean feat), and he arrived the other day & said the rads needed balancing. He was here for half an hour & when he left, all rads were scorching. I was delighted. However, now some of the previously adequate radiators are stone cold & some of the previously hot ones are only luke warm.
    Can anybody explain to me the process of balancing radiators? Can a layman (notorious for DIY disasters) do this herself? How much can I expect to pay a plumber -assuming I can actually him to come back. I’m freezing here. All advice very gratefully appreciated.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    The oil central heating in my house has always been a bit hit & miss. More misses than hits, to be honest. The most recent difficulty is some rads were hopping with heat, whilst others were luke warm & one stone cold. I live in a bungalow & moving from one room to another was like crossing from the Sahara to Antarctica. I managed to secure a plumber (no mean feat), and he arrived the other day & said the rads needed balancing. He was here for half an hour & when he left, all rads were scorching. I was delighted. However, now some of the previously adequate radiators are stone cold & some of the previously hot ones are only luke warm.
    Can anybody explain to me the process of balancing radiators? Can a layman (notorious for DIY disasters) do this herself? How much can I expect to pay a plumber -assuming I can actually him to come back. I’m freezing here. All advice very gratefully appreciated.

Yeah v.easy, look at a few YouTube vids about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

Foggy Jew wrote: »

I've only "had" to do one neighbours installation, an oil fired unvented system, he had a conventional 3 speed pump set on speed 2, I increased it to speed 3 (from 3M to 5M) and it made a huge difference as the coolest rads heated up reasonably well and had only to throttle in a few of the hottest ones then but remember if there is any sludge in the bottom of the rads then you may find that a rad that was lovely and warm one day could be only lukewarm the next day.

Advertisement